X5R questions
2400 12 2016-7-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
user18c8777ac6
lvl.1
Iceland

This refers more to the Osmo Pro use of the X5R but didn't see a dedicated forum:

I've read that the fan noise of she SSD is significant and also that the battery time is far lower when shooting raw... but what about when you just shoot to the micro sd? Will the SSD drive completely turn off and will the camera perform exactly like an X5?

The reason I ask is because I'm struggling to decide which one to buy. I love the possibility of shooting raw and I know I would definately use it on some jobs, but the pros of longer batterylife, quieter fans and more footage from the X5 is definately a plus... not to mention the more attractive price tag.

So my question is: Will the X5R perform EXACTLY like the X5 when not shooting directly to SSD?

And one more question: Can you shoot non-raw footage to the SSD.... ie. hours upon hours of footage?

thank you
Ragnar
2016-7-26
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

The X5R wouid have the same quality of the X5 when not shooting in DNG Raw. Unfortunately, only CinelightDNG Raw files can save to the SSD. All other file formats would save to the SD card.
2016-7-26
Use props
user18c8777ac6
lvl.1
Iceland

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-7-26 21:18
The X5R wouid have the same quality of the X5 when not shooting in DNG Raw. Unfortunately, only Cine ...

Thank you for the answer! And just to make sure: The  X5R  has the same batterylife and sound/noiselevel as the X5 when not shooting raw?
2016-7-26
Use props
ge0se
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3184721 ft
United States

user18c8777ac6 Posted at 2016-7-27 06:19
Thank you for the answer! And just to make sure: The  X5R  has the same batterylife and sound/nois ...

Noise levels are still same and battery life shorter with X5R even when only recording H264 to microSD.
Cant tell you if there is a difference in battery life with and without SSD cause never measured but if there is, it's too minor to notice.
2016-7-26
Use props
user18c8777ac6
lvl.1
Iceland

Oh okay! Well that kinda sucks. Sounds like the X5 is the way to go then... I mean being able to shoot raw is awesome... but having such effect on battery life and noise level even when shooting h264 is a pretty big fault in my mind...
2016-7-27
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>

user18c8777ac6 Posted at 2016-7-27 16:29
Oh okay! Well that kinda sucks. Sounds like the X5 is the way to go then... I mean being able to sho ...

The grading possibilities with shooting Raw are greater because you are working on 10 bit 444 video instead of 8 bit 420. If you are shooting under controlled conditions with even and good lighting where DR requirements aren't very high or you don't seek to create special looks, the X5R is a great tool. Its quite a bit more work managing a raw workflow.
The fan noise is an issue on both cameras but worse on the X5R. You really need an external mic that has a long boom or use a wireless mic if you want to capture good audio.

Carrying extra batteries isn't a big deal and if you are really a heavy duty user, get the battery extender that will allow you to connect a flight battery to the Osmo. The bigger issue in that case is the phone battery running out before the Osmo.
2016-7-27
Use props
user18c8777ac6
lvl.1
Iceland

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2016-7-27 09:30
The grading possibilities with shooting Raw are greater because you are working on 10 bit 444 video ...

Ye. Well the raw is very tempting. Here's my "dilemma", if you will:

I bought a Phantom 4 a few months ago and have been having loads of fun, but more than that I've received quite a few jobs with it and things have gotten more serious. So I'm planning my next steps.. or upgrade that is... the upgrade that makes the most sense is to get an Inspire and an Osmo handle and then an x5 camera I can use on both. However, my only question is whether to get the raw or not. Apart from the much higher price tag, I'm noticing a few more downsides with getting the x5r over the x5... like the battery life and noise...

The thing is that I know I'd shoot mostly on h264 due to an easier workflow and the jobs will probably not demand the raw qualities. But being able to offer raw shooting will definately be a bit upside and maybe a couple of jobs would even depend on it.

But here's the kicker: The Phantom 4 has completely surpriced me and far exceeded my expectations when it comes to quality. I expected only to use it for smaller jobs, but I've actually been shooting drone material for an Icelandic TV series that's a Netflix co-production and there they mix it with RED 4K footage with great results. I was very sceptical when they asked me and warned them about the "poor" camera on the P4, but then I sent them tests which they even sent to Netflix to check... and wouldn't you know it... it passed!

So... I know shooting h264 will get me far and even much much futher on the x5's far superior camera... And sound IS important to me, because I expect to shoot documentary and drama stuff on it with the osmo stick... I'd never need to worry about it needing to be too quiet though, since I'd always use booms and/or radio mics, but batterylife and mostly an easier workflow will definately make h264 win out on most occasions.

But, like I said... being able to shoot raw would definately make me a viable option for high profile ad shoots or even films... so.... that's a plus... although probably a rare one...

so ye... still a bit conflicted on this one...
2016-7-27
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>

user18c8777ac6 Posted at 2016-7-27 18:52
Ye. Well the raw is very tempting. Here's my "dilemma", if you will:

I bought a Phantom 4 a few m ...

If you do this for a living, I'd say the added benefit of having access to Raw images is a no brainer. However, if you are buying the rig to do documentary and drama stuff, where lighting is controlled, and you use boom mikes, then ignore all the talk about high compression and such. You won't notice the difference.

The X5's strength in interchangeable lenses is under emphasized on these pages. I don't have a P4 the Inspire is a much steadier craft. I'd keep the P4 for mobility. I hike with an Inspire Raw and an Osmo and one feels like a camel but take a look at one outing's results. https://www.skypixel.com/videos/mannlichen-panorama
Don't worry about battery life, the battery extender gives you hours of recording time on the Osmo and you share batteries with the Inspire.
2016-7-27
Use props
user18c8777ac6
lvl.1
Iceland

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2016-7-27 11:54
If you do this for a living, I'd say the added benefit of having access to Raw images is a no brai ...

yebyeb.. thanks a milion
2016-7-27
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>

Just refreshed my post. Check out the link
2016-7-27
Use props
user18c8777ac6
lvl.1
Iceland

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2016-7-27 11:58
Just refreshed my post. Check out the link

That looks amazing! Shot in raw or h264?
2016-7-27
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>

user18c8777ac6 Posted at 2016-7-27 23:29
That looks amazing! Shot in raw or h264?

There's a mixture of shots there. The aerials are almost all raw. The Osmo shots are all h264.
2016-7-27
Use props
user18c8777ac6
lvl.1
Iceland

Awesome. Thanks for the help!
2016-7-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules