2758 21 2015-1-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jscgaston
lvl.4
Flight distance : 316772 ft
  • >>>
United States

Please, let us know. Do the threads wear out faster? Are they going to be replaced with new version?

2015-1-26
Use props
chrisgeigerphot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13046529 ft
  • >>>
United States

Like many others my black props were binding when I installed and removed them. My gray props spin on like I would expect. Being concerned about possible damage to the motor threads I examined the parts closely. What I found is the binding is not occurring at the threads. The binding is happening in the part of the prop above the threads. This binding is caused by the metal cap on the end of the prop being a different size between the grey and the black props. The black props have a smaller diameter cap opening above the threads.

The solution is very simple. Take an 1/8 drill bit and drill out the end cap of the prop above the threads. Be careful not to drill all the way through the plastic top. I did a little at a time and checked my progress with a flash light.

Now my black props spin on the same as my grey props.
prop-drill.jpg
2015-1-26
Use props
metalios
lvl.3
Flight distance : 892703 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI,

Should this be the case, I hope you address the matter and issue replacement black props. I  don't feel comfortable with a self fix.
2015-1-26
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

chrisgeigerphot Posted at 2015-1-27 01:39
Like many others my black props were binding when I installed and removed them. My gray props spin o ...

Maybe this was cause of the prop spin off problem we've seen in recent posts ?
2015-1-26
Use props
chrisgeigerphot
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

If the props are loose they are going to come off. I guess it could cause a problem if you though the prop was tight but it was just binding and not really tight at all.
2015-1-26
Use props
craigarthurson.
lvl.2

Australia

I am a Helicopter engineer and have been for well over 20 years anything that spins on freely will spin off just as freely. I am still waiting on my Inspire to arrive however I have a question for the people with the black prop binding the material you just drilled out was it metal or plastic. If metal was it aluminium or a harder ferric material. If it was plastic or Aluminium both are softer than the motor shaft and would act like a partial locking device. I have been fling the phantom for a few years I have always used the Blue Loctite on my prop as any stopping and starting of the motors can lead the anti torque effect to loosen them.
2015-1-26
Use props
chrisgeigerphot
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

The material is metallic and seems to be aluminum because it does does not react to a magnet. If it was plastic I would not worry about it but it is leaving marks on my motor shafts so I cleaned it up. I know how parts are supposed to feel when they go together and this binding is not normal.
2015-1-26
Use props
chato1974.email
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3657356 ft
  • >>>
United States

My I1props spin on freely but after flying awhile !5- 30min they will become harder to remove. I have to hold the motor and spin them off with a little pressure. They will not freely spinoff the motor turns with the props if I try. I think this is because the motors heat up during flight and the metal swells making the threads tighter.
2015-1-27
Use props
Dtrewern
lvl.2

Australia

After a bunch of flights I have to hold my motors quite firmly to get black props off and on. I wonder if the black anodize coating on the bolts and prop caps makes the fit tighter? It would be good to hear from dji on this issue.
2015-1-27
Use props
Arctictern
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Same here but after giving them a good clean with a tissue and getting right into the motor threads with it they are back to how they were when I first put them on. Tissue had black marks on it so possibly is the anodize building up. All seems fine now.
2015-1-27
Use props
DJI-Autumn
Second Officer

China

It's good to go I think. The material is aluminum, and won't have any impact on the motor shaft.
2015-1-27
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872694 ft
  • >>>
United States

Arctictern Posted at 2015-1-27 17:22
Same here but after giving them a good clean with a tissue and getting right into the motor threads  ...

This is what I found last night after looking at mine.. Just clean the threads with some denatured alcohol and problem is fixed. People really need to not panic and stop taking drill bits to their new copter:@
2015-1-27
Use props
dennis.aerialpe
lvl.3
United States

Blade_Strike Posted at 2015-1-27 22:26
This is what I found last night after looking at mine.. Just clean the threads with some denatured ...

so you have been flying without the prop locks ?
2015-1-27
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Yes, I just make sure the props are nice and tight.
2015-1-27
Use props
lrwskyfilms
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Thanks Blade_Strike, always the voice of reason.
2015-1-27
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

No problem, I guess some people don't understand what a mechanical seat is..I would highly advise against any tooling .
2015-1-27
Use props
pete1144
lvl.3

United States

I have flown several times, in gusty wind, without prop locks. I just make sure they are hand-tightened....not just spun on. I also double check just before a flight. I have had no incidents.
2015-1-27
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

pete1144@me.com Posted at 2015-1-28 02:44
I have flown several times, in gusty wind, without prop locks. I just make sure they are hand-tighte ...

pete, this is my experience as well. But people should make their own mind up. I would hate for someone to take my advice and go fly and then crash do to a prop issue. If you cant afford to rebuild the craft then I would wait for prop locks, just to be on the safe side.
2015-1-27
Use props
pete1144
lvl.3

United States

Blade_Strike Posted at 2015-1-28 02:53
pete, this is my experience as well. But people should make their own mind up. I would hate for so ...

You are correct, sir.
2015-1-27
Use props
lrwskyfilms
lvl.2

United Kingdom

dennis.aerialpe Posted at 2015-1-27 23:28
so you have been flying without the prop locks ?

Yes, I do like quite a few others flying and enjoying, just make sure you tighten the props, turn down the gains if you want and make no rapid directional changes.
2015-1-27
Use props
2001guns
lvl.2

United States

lrwskyfilms Posted at 2015-1-28 02:58
Yes, I do like quite a few others flying and enjoying, just make sure you tighten the props, turn  ...

If you back off on the gains so the sticks aren't quite so quick, does this also slow the response that the Inspire does on its own? Such as when a gust comes by.
2015-1-27
Use props
lrwskyfilms
lvl.2

United Kingdom

2001guns Posted at 2015-1-28 03:55
If you back off on the gains so the sticks aren't quite so quick, does this also slow the response ...

Yes, i currently use 90 on ATTI gain and EXPO 30 and 30. More predictable and smoother IMHO.
2015-1-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules