X5 or X5R?
1803 5 2016-7-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MartinK
lvl.3
Flight distance : 68471 ft

Hi,

I am in quite difficult situation at the moment. The X3 camera is no longer sufficient and I feel that I need to fight with the compression artifacts. (particularly in the grass, forest and water) It is exhausting to load everithing to my editing PC to find out that color grading is hindered due to compression artifact problems.

As with X5 I have seen many opinions. Some say that it is better than X3 regarding mentioned problems and others say that the only benefit is the interchangeable lenses. So is my only solution to go X5R and work with the data transfer problems? Rumors regarding the new Inspire 2 are also making me cautious. I dont want to be in the situation where I buy X5R and find out that next camera is half the price and has more features.

At the very least, I hope that the connection standard for the Osmo and Inspire stays the same.

So what should i do? Go with the X5R, X5 or wait for the next big thing.   

Best regards,
Martin
2016-7-27
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

I am like you , ready for the  Next camera but Leary about what may  be around the corner.  

I have not heard of the Next thing coming out to soon, so my advice for you would be the X5R, you seem like you have the skill set for Post work.  I on the other Hand need to learn more about photography and the best bet for me would be the X5.

As long as you take good care of your equipment , you should be  able to sell it if something else comes along, which it surely will, just a matter of time.

good luck

donnie

2016-7-27
Use props
terrylewis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

As Donnie suggests, your requirement, for color grading unhindered by compression artifact problems, are best solved by the X5R.

You've probably already explored the DJI Inspire Camera comparison web page.

While the X5 approaches the features of a digital SLR with Micro 4/3-inch CMOS sensor and interchangable lens, it's still a payload-limited, airborne platform using the early Ambrella SOC. Professional reviews of the X5 highlight the improved optics, dynamic range, and lens selection options, but find professional issues with the finished quality of the compressed video. Occassionally, the X5 suffers from heat transfer issues that were re-engineered in the X5R for better heat dissipation.

But the X5 is a tremendous upgrade for the hobbyist over the X3.

The X5R best meets professional or semi-professional requirements (where you can offset cost with income). The max-bit rate improvements and Cinema DNG (RAW) are game-changers for those that need the RAW quality. The post-processing requirements for the raw data will need appropriate hardware and storage; DJI has engineered the SSD as a proprietary device which drives the solution further toward the professional end of the market; and the DJI software is current primarily MAC OSX based if that matters at all.

This market segment is advancing far too rapidly to wait for the next camera product advancement! With the release of the Z3, X5, & X5R, DJI is telling us that there's plenty of life left in the current camera systems. I agree with you completely that the camera interchange connection between OSMO and Inspire optimize our ROI and provide unmatched options for DJI customers.

2016-7-27
Use props
MartinK
lvl.3
Flight distance : 68471 ft

Thanks to everyone,

Are the compression problems on the X5 as prominent as X3? Also the specs of the X5 mention 12.8 stops of dynamic range. (Cinema5D rates the X5 at 7 usable stops of dynamic range). So who is lying I really like to go with the X5R however I feel that this camera is still in the beta stage. PC support seems to be much worse than Apple and it is impossible to delete individual videos on the field. (If I am not mistaken).

Br,
Martin
2016-7-28
Use props
Mike Ronesia
lvl.1
Flight distance : 10026 ft
Northern Mariana Islands

MartinK Posted at 2016-7-28 23:44
Thanks to everyone,

Are the compression problems on the X5 as prominent as X3? Also the specs of th ...

As a M4/3's shooter I will tell you that the raw files will give you much more DR (in post). I just ordered a X5R and while I don't look forward to the added workflow, I am just too picky to live with less flexibility. I say that now, but I might end up rarely using it.
2016-7-29
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

MartinK Posted at 2016-7-28 23:44
Thanks to everyone,

Are the compression problems on the X5 as prominent as X3? Also the specs of th ...

Hi Martin,

Even though it's the same compression as the X3, the X5 will give better results simply because it's a superior image going in.  

In other words, since your image starts cleaner with an X5 compared to an X3, the compressor will do a better job of holding together.

Having said that, if water and grass are your goal, an X5R is really the best choice.

Only problem there is it requires a much heftier machine to crunch plus a lot of skill and experience.   

If you have these, or are willing to put the time in, an X5R is the perfect choice but may require some patience and testing to get the best results.
2016-7-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules