Czechia

wow, looks great wish i would have a sea in my country as well
2015-1-26
Use props
svencool
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6690 ft
United States

Yep pretty impressive!!! Can I ask how many batteries did you go through?

Mike
2015-1-26
Use props
pidetectives.em
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great video I am in South Florida also. Did one Battery take all that footage?
2015-1-26
Use props
Jscgaston
lvl.4
Flight distance : 316772 ft
  • >>>
United States

No, I wish. It could have it it had all happened simultaneously I had three batteries and it wasn't enough!!!! could have spent the entire day out there~
2015-1-26
Use props
lynxskyshots
lvl.2

United States

That was STUNNING!  How close to the water were you flying in the final clip?
2015-1-26
Use props
Jscgaston
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

just under 1 ft maybe. no zooming on any clips
2015-1-26
Use props
InspiredOne
lvl.3

United States

Nice, Jonathan! I'm in Miami, maybe we could meet up one day.
2015-1-27
Use props
max.tower.yahoo
lvl.1

United States

Great video.  The camera is definitely impressive.  Did you launch from a boat?  Did you have any problems doing so if you did?
2015-1-27
Use props
Jscgaston
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4Fq0hwMVaIhNek4pfIy35w/videos
no problems but it was flat calm
2015-1-27
Use props
Geoffdb
lvl.2

United States

As a 747 pilot and Inspire/Phantom driver I can tell you a great fear shared by myself and that helicopter pilot is guys like this not respecting or understanding the airspace "rules of the road" and flying CLOSER to the helo instead of descending and immediately getting as far away as possible.  I suggest you take a UAV ground school course, and also pull that vid asap as the FAA is on the lookout for what they call "careless and reckless" operation of an aircraft.  NZ dude busted recently via YouTube.
Not to sound like an *ss, but it's just a matter of time before a UAV/aircraft collision, loss of life, more bad press, and a blanket ban on what safe operators can do with "drones".
2015-1-27
Use props
Jscgaston
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

As a 747 pilot you should know the rules. He was less than 500 feet away from me and flying  over structures and boats. The drone flew about 20 feet closer while documenting this helicopter pilots flight path. Pay attention to c)

Flight rules "laws" are the same for all stares, It is federal law that applys.

§ 91.119 Minimum safe altitudes: General.

Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:

(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.

(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

(d) Helicopters. Helicopters may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section if the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface. In addition, each person operating a helicopter shall comply with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the Administrator.
2015-1-27
Use props
mtnred.email
lvl.4
Flight distance : 91811 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great video and you did nothing unsafe ,that I could see .Loved the music and the video .Great job .
2015-1-27
Use props
Jscgaston
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Geoffdb Posted at 2015-1-28 07:54
As a 747 pilot and Inspire/Phantom driver I can tell you a great fear shared by myself and that heli ...

read the last post in this thread about the guidelines helicopter pilots must follow.  That pilot was under 500 ft of altitude and closer to vessels, structures and humans. He wasn't that really close but closer than the FAA rules permit. Not allowed to do that....... and if the FAA asks then I'm sure the pilot of the Inspire will tell the truth and say that he had his eyes on the Inspire the whole time and approaching the small distance and capturing the helicopter was a complete accident. Luckily there is video to document the flight path of the helicopter pilot......
2015-1-27
Use props
kietzmanbc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 318205 ft
Canada

If I ever see a 747 at 500 feet anywhere OUTSIDE of a 2 kilometer range of an international airport..Then there is something seriously wrong (And I don't think its from a quad copter)

Joking aside, where does common sense start/end? I fly my RC's in and around the Mountains of British Columbia. I observed a twin engine (Cessna?) this morning in moderate fog flying in a mountain valley at about 1000 feet above ground. It sure surprised the heck out of me. In fact I assumed something is/was wrong..and I was right. There was a search/rescue going on for a lost child. BUT this guy wasn't part of it..he was a private citizen trying to help. But in reality he was putting himself and others at risk. They found the child and no disaster occurred. But simply because you have a pilots license doesn't mean you automatically make the best decisions. The idea is that you make more *informed decisions*

You can't license common sense..as much as we would like that to happen.
2015-1-27
Use props
dwartenburg.ema
lvl.2
United States

Jscgaston Posted at 2015-1-28 08:14
As a 747 pilot you should know the rules. He was less than 500 feet away from me and flying  over s ...

I think you busted the 747 driver...
2015-1-27
Use props
UM305
lvl.3

United States

Nice Video! Congrats.
2015-1-27
Use props
Geoffdb
lvl.2

United States

Nice googling of FAR's, but common sense tells us that helicopters obviously land on yachts, hospitals, grassy fields to save lives, etc. They regularly fly low level.  If your point is that the helo was doing something wrong then you need to keep googling.
For those without a pilot license please follow some simple advice re other air traffic...GIVE WAY to any airplane/copter, meaning DESCEND and fly AWAY from them even though the shot might look super cool.
In this case the fast moving helo "probably" couldn't see the little drone and he "possibly" got a TCAS (aerial traffic) warning from the Inspire (large birds or flocks also cause this) which would cause him to take evasive, sometimes dangerous maneuvers.  No bueno.  
2015-1-29
Use props
Jscgaston
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Geoffdb Posted at 2015-1-30 04:10
Nice googling of FAR's, but common sense tells us that helicopters obviously land on yachts, hospita ...

Google makes everything easier..... except I can't find the FAR section on what you are talking about. Can you cut and paste a copy to clear things up. your right helicopters land in grass fields that doesn't mean they have the authorization to do so. You can't just land a helicopter whenever and wherever you want. That applies ti landing on yachts, hospitals (never seen a personal helicopter land at a hospital) and grassy fields...... was flying low over small personal boats and protected stuctures, and water skiers in his flight plan....I don't think so? I'm not here to get into debates/arguments with people. That being said,  If your going to try to school people on regulations then you should know them to the letter and all the situations that apply. I will not say that I do....do you?   do you know the exact distance between the inspire and the helicopter....no. What's your estimate? I get it your point, be safe and don't go looking for a picture  of an aircraft.  we will all be under regulations sooner than later that should make all these different debates a bit more clear.
2015-1-29
Use props
Cooler0707
New

United States

Nice video!!

I didn't see anything unsafe with this flight, as for the helo its called see and avoid under VFR.
Also google TCAS its works by "sending interrogations to other aircraft's transponders" Inspire's don't have transponders.
And TCAS can't paint birds of any type.
Maybe sometimes with radar, MAYBE!

My knowledge ATP
2015-1-30
Use props
daninperth
lvl.3

United States

Someone is very talented!
2015-1-30
Use props
Geoffdb
lvl.2

United States

Not to bore anyone with tedious FAR's, most of which have guidance counterintuitive to UAV operation and were written well before this new generation of "aircraft".
TCAS and ATC radar are obviously designed to identify aircraft, but we regularly get Primary returns from non-TCAS objects like birds.  And as one might imagine, a UAV.  Which could easily cause a pilot to be distracted and possibly take evasive maneuvers.  Google Primary and secondary radar returns for more info.
Additionally, at a recent event I personally spoke with a rep who is in final stages of development of a UAV transponder.  Cool stuff!
Moral of the story, summing up my 21 years of operating under the Air Law of countries around the world, and not boring all with specifics...is SEE and AVOID.  DESCEND and maneuver AWAY immediately when a conventional aircraft approaches.  
Not picking fights, just trying to educate with peace and love
2015-2-2
Use props
jessecarllane
lvl.1

United States

Ten seconds. From the time the chopper was a blip on the horizon to the closest that the chopper and drone got to each other. I have stop-frame examined those 10 seconds and determined that the drone was a bit lower in altitude than the chopper. Although it appears that the drone is aiming for the chopper, it is obvious to me that the camera is panning. Only after the chopper passes does the drone's direction start changing (watch the structure in lower right).  This camera-created illusion that the drone is aiming straight for the chopper certainly doesn't alleviate the concerns expressed in this discussion though. We need a DTA button on the remote controller: Drop To [predetermined safe] Altitude (lol).  Still, once the low-flying chopper was sighted, I think the drone should have stopped and descended to a safe altitude, clear of potential structures underneath and sailboat masts. Have a plan in advance as to what to do when another aircraft comes into view. That's the lesson for me here. Thanks for this discussion!
2015-2-3
Use props
alessio
New

Italy

Next time I will visit my friends there, I would like to go on boat and make a trip there nice footage my friend, you make my dreaming about the magic city and that beautiful area
2015-7-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules