HOW TO GET OUR BELOVED “DRONES” BANNED FROM THE AIR!
2235 14 2015-1-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rmaxwell.email
lvl.4
Flight distance : 698661 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Hi Folks,

I hold a commercial pilots license in both the U.S. and Canada for Airplanes, Floatplanes, Gliders, and Hot air balloons.  I have been a flight instructor in airplanes and gliders.  I have flown radio controlled airplanes since 1961 and R/C helicopters since 2009.  I have flown airplanes, gliders, R/C airplanes, and camera carrying multi-rotors in national TV commercials and feature length movies.

I LOVE aviation.  I own a new Inspire One and I think it is great.  I am sharing 50 years of being in aviation in the hopes of educating new owners of the Inspire One and getting them to realized that they are joining the aviation community and that they must respect the rest of the community and act responsibly when they fly their wonderful machines.

HOW TO GET OUR BELOVED “DRONES” BANNED FROM THE AIR

1. Fly high!  If you fly above 400 ft near almost any city you are very likely flying in positive controlled airspace.  This also applies to flying in the mountains where gliders, small aircraft, and helicopters fly though the valleys.   If you pop up in front of a airplane or helicopter they will complain to air traffic control and the air regulators will BAN us.

2. Fly over populated areas with lots of people!  If anything in your aircraft goes wrong or you loose control of your aircraft it is possible to kill someone if they are struck by your machine.  This will attract the media’s attention and the authorities and they will lobby to get us BANNED.

3.  Fly in or through clouds!  Do I really have to explain that you cannot know who else is up there under positive air traffic control and might hit your “Drone”?  This will certainly get us BANNED.

4.  Fly long distances, out of sight, using FPV?  This is obvious to all thinking people that you cannot know who is coming up fast behind you in a manned aircraft and could hit your machine and that would cause us to be BANNED.

5. Be very arrogant and write flaming articles stating that the “air should be free” and the FAA or other authority should not have control over model aircraft!  Do you really think that the best way to start a negotiation and work with another group is to poke them in the eye with a stick?

6.  Fly with no liability insurance!  This way if you do any damage to persons or property they can take everything you own.  If you join one of the national model aviation organization and fly by their rules you will be covered by their insurance.  When I fly in TV commercials and feature film productions I am covered by the production companies blanket liability policy.  There are both safety and risk management people on the set and we all follow all of the safety rules required.  This includes getting clearance from the aviation authorities.

7.  If you do any of these things, be sure to post a YouTube video documenting where and when you did them!  The authorities love you to provide all of the evidence they need to BAN our activities!

HOW TO FLY RESPONSIBLY

1.  Seek out your local R/C flying club and learn how to manually fly your machine.  If you read the threads on this forum you will notice almost all of the fly away and crashes have involved automatic features of the Inspire One.  Many of these features are brand new.and may have not had enough time to be fully tested.  I fly my Inspire One manually and will test out the automatic features at a R/C flying field well away from all persons or property and will not use it in a commercial production until I have logged many test flights and build confidence in the whole system.  This is called being a responsible and professional pilot.

2. Go to the following national model aircraft sites and read the safety codes.  These people have been flying radio controlled unmanned  aircraft for over 50 years.  R/C aircraft are not new.  They have been made much easier to fly with recent technology.  This gives people the idea that they can buy one and go out and fly these machines anywhere with no training or knowledge of the safety protocols established by many years of experience.

In Canada       http://www.maac.ca/e_docs.php      Go to “Safety Code”

PLEASE BE A RESPONSIBLE PILOT.

“Safe flying is 10% flying ability and 90% judgement.”  Use good judgment.

If you are new to flying R/C aircraft, please don’t ruin it for all of us that have been doing it for more than 50 years.

Happy and safe flying,

Ray

2015-1-26
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

Well said !!
2015-1-26
Use props
johanmfr.email
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7046667 ft
  • >>>
France

thanks Ray for this post...i m french and very surprise by so fly without control by user....in france its very hard and strict for fly and i pass actually my licence for fly...
2015-1-26
Use props
craigarthurson.
lvl.2

Australia

Vote 1 for Ray,
Well spoken well put I only hope people take the time to read it.
In Australia we are currently getting the regulation fully in place if people do not abide buy the rule and regulations we could soon see no license no drone and it is close to happening I feel.
2015-1-26
Use props
pidetectives.em
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mr. Ray applauses  to you my good man. Very well said
2015-1-26
Use props
wolftj.email
lvl.3
Flight distance : 109734 ft
United States

pidetectives.em Posted at 2015-1-27 06:59
Mr. Ray applauses  to you my good man. Very well said

Well said Ray. You wouldn't be related to Don Maxwell of Mooney Service Center fame would you?
2015-1-26
Use props
gizadog.email
lvl.2
United States

Nice post but it looks like a copy and past. YouTube is not the only place people can post videos.
2015-1-26
Use props
lynxskyshots
lvl.2

United States

I have been involved with an AMA leader club for over 17 years, and am currently an instructor in the intro pilot program and a race director for our pylon racing program.  Rays words are GOLDEN! Enough cannot be said for actually being in control of your aircraft and to be able to react to circumstances that occur without even thinking.  My first flight with my Inspire had a loss of gps signal that resulted in it "sliding" rapidly toward our pit area.  It was a non-issue as I was immediately able to control the craft and land it safely to address the issue.  I hope everone sees the value in Rays wisdom!
2015-1-26
Use props
BoostedPhantom
lvl.2

United States

8.  Crash land your drone on the White House lawn...
2015-1-26
Use props
rmaxwell.email
lvl.4
Flight distance : 698661 ft
  • >>>
Canada

wolftj.email Posted at 2015-1-27 09:24
Well said Ray. You wouldn't be related to Don Maxwell of Mooney Service Center fame would you?

Hi Wolftj,

I don't know that I am related, but wish I was.  I used to belong to a flying club that had a Mooney Mark 21.

BoostedPhantom

You are right on!!!   8.  Go out at 3:00 AM at night to fly in "bad weather", loose sight of your Phantom, and crash it on the Whitehouse lawn.  Just what we all needed!!!
gizadog

I always write offline, edit and correct carefully and then copy and paste into the forum.  Sometimes I still find mistakes and edit online.

Ray

2015-1-26
Use props
wolftj.email
lvl.3
Flight distance : 109734 ft
United States

rmaxwell.email Posted at 2015-1-27 12:50
Hi Wolftj,

I don't know that I am related, but wish I was.  I used to belong to a flying club that ...

Flying at 3am... Flying in bad weather... Flying INSIDE the DC ADIZ restricted airspace... Flying near the White House...

This drone pilot has to be the world's dumbest human.

@rmaxwell: Don's a great guy, been taking care of my Mooneys for about 10 years. First my J model and now my 97 Bravo.
2015-1-27
Use props
UM305
lvl.3

United States

Ray for president!  
2015-1-27
Use props
Jiblabs
lvl.2

United States

Thanks ray well said
2015-1-27
Use props
pete1144
lvl.3

United States

Simple solution: Avoid flying on Pennsylvania Ave.....or in any populated area, for that matter.
2015-1-27
Use props
mlglisson.hotma
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7782 ft
  • >>>
United States

9) Trying to import/export drugs with your flying machine. Can get UAV's banned. i.e... Mexico and the 8lbs of meth.
2015-1-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules