1541 12 2016-7-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jk.is.gaming
lvl.1
Flight distance : 187720 ft
United States

Hello,
I've had my phantom for 5 or so months now and been loving every moment of it. Up until now where I live in its been cool but we are finally getting more of a summer here in WA (high 80s to mid 90s).

I am aware of the 0-40c operation temp however I went flying yesterday and quickly hit 40C on my battery. My question here is if I should not be pushing it or if I am ok. My family and I are planing a trip from sothern wa over to coeur d'alene, Id then mid montana and up to Alberta canada. I expect fairly high temps somewhere along the line but still want to be able to get footage still without my bird blowing up in the sky.

Any input would be awesome.
2016-7-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

The app will warn you have any battery errors. If you are easy on the throttle then the battery will not heat up as much so try just to cruise around instead of moving very fast all over the place .
2016-7-29
Use props
jk.is.gaming
lvl.1
United States

Hi ken,

Thanks for the information. i am guilty of being a bit hard on the throttle, ill have to pay more attention to that. if there was a different margin of in operation temp and when youll start to get warnings what would it be or would it be 0-40 regardless?
2016-7-29
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I've never seen a battery temp warning, but when you fly in 100F temps, it sure goes up fast.  I've seen 60C and then some.
2016-7-29
Use props
jk.is.gaming
lvl.1
United States

Same, I've only heard of low temp warning but i've yet to see one of those either. I guess time will tell for that when we get winter back lol. I took another flight today while it was about 90f out went easy on the acceleration and  did not go right to 40 but I still was at 45 by time I landed about 10 minutes later.
2016-7-29
Use props
rainer1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 593343 ft
United States

Hello JK  

I am sure the 40 degree Celsius temperature referred to the environment remperature in what you are flying  Air temperature  and not the battery temperature
I am not certain  that  there is a note anywhere on how hot the batteries can get before they would get damaged  
I just trust the software to give me a warning when it gets too hot  
I will fly today and see how warm the battery gets

Rainer

2016-7-30
Use props
wam8
lvl.2

Pakistan

rainer1 Posted at 2016-7-30 22:38
Hello JK  

I am sure the 40 degree Celsius temperature referred to the environment remperature in w ...

I think manual says 60 degrees C on battery is maximum (maybe I read somewhere else). Yes 40 C is for ambient temperature.

I live in a very hot place, sometimes my P3S battery reaches 50+ but never got a warning on app. If I remember correct once my battery reached 54 C, after 17 minutes of flight (I will check record on Healthy Drones once again).
2016-7-30
Use props
OrlyP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 36916 ft
Philippines

We have a hot climate almost all-year round (high 30°C) and I regularly get my batteries into the mid to high 50°C. Highest I've recorded as per HealthyDrones is 59°C. That is pushing the battery down to about 20% state of charge. For that reason, I usually land at about 40% SoC to keep temps as low as practical..
2016-7-30
Use props
jk.is.gaming
lvl.1
United States

Thanks everyone for all the feedback, puts me at ease. I normally rotate between my 4 batteries and fly them to about 30-40%. I tried to look in the manual but I may have missed it. I was almost sure that it was relating to air temp not operation temp due to how quickly it can climb up there in temp. but I figured I would ask because I know many more people are out there that likely have flown much longer and have hotter climates.
2016-7-30
Use props
rainer1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 593343 ft
United States

OrlyP Posted at 2016-7-30 17:20
We have a hot climate almost all-year round (high 30°C) and I regularly get my batteries into the m ...

Three flights today at about 80 degree F or about 27 degree Celsius air temperature.
Fist flight was using sport mode and some spirited flying with quite some wind
Battery was down to 20% and temp was 59 degree Celsius.
Recorded top speed was 52 Mph  (tail wind)

Second flight was normal cruising around, no sport mode
Battery at the end 52 degree Celsius  

Third flight was cruising around, no sport mode
Battery at the end 53 degrees Celsius.

During those three flights/batteries the camera was Recording with different settings.

I usually run the batteries to about 20% .

The wind was quite blowing and the Phantom 4 held up great .

2016-7-30
Use props
mochorm
lvl.2
Flight distance : 940148 ft
Canada

Don't worry about your battery temp. if when using the xcpoter the temp. is under 60c.
Around that temp. you will get a hot battery warning and the birds power usage will be reduced to safe the battery.

IMO it would best serve you to get the bird close to home asap when you get the power reduced warning.
2016-7-31
Use props
Austfiot
lvl.1
Flight distance : 440197 ft
Australia

Hello Guys,
Air temperature around 24C
Battery temperature 60C (flight time 22 minutes)No warning signs and the aircraft was behaving normally

Should I be worried?
Thanks

2018-2-21
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Yeah as others have said, pay attention to your voltages. If you are hard on the throttle, it will take it's toll on your battery. Back off the throttle a bit and watch your voltage meter go from red or yellow to green. Of course you have to turn on the option to "show voltage" on your screen. A lot of times DJI app will tell you that it is reducing power or propulsion to basically save your battery, but if you back-off a bit the message goes away and your battery voltage will stabilize. For the most part as long as you keep the batteries at room temp starting out, you can fly in just about any type of temperatures, I guess in this case I am referring to colder conditions. Of course the hotter temps may be more concern for you, but as long as you are not going full bore all the time, the air should help cool your phantom.  
2018-2-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules