Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Prop locks or No Prop locks
3945 22 2015-1-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pidetectives.em
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have been flying the Bird and had no issues with the props.  Am I risking the bird crashing? I make shure all four props are tight and check them again when the bird lands and I have not had any issues.
2015-1-26
Use props
metalios
lvl.3
Flight distance : 892703 ft
  • >>>
United States

At this point, I think DJI is insisting upon locks strictly from a liability perspective. I've been flying without locks with no issue, as have many others. However, I'd hate to be the one to lose my bird, or even worse, hurt someone, because I didn't use locks.

I'm flying to Caribbean on Thursday (assuming JFK is open after this storm) and I'll be flying without the locks, but will be careful to stay away from people.
2015-1-26
Use props
pidetectives.em
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

metalios Posted at 2015-1-27 07:12
At this point, I think DJI is insisting upon locks strictly from a liability perspective. I've been  ...

Thanks for the input.
2015-1-26
Use props
daninperth
lvl.3

United States

I have had no issues with prop loosening and have had many flights before the warning was released. After seeing the warning I've maintained mostly low altitude during flights simply because I do not know. If I had to guess I'd say its a liability issue as well but who could blame them.

Dan
2015-1-26
Use props
pidetectives.em
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

daninperth Posted at 2015-1-27 09:56
I have had no issues with prop loosening and have had many flights before the warning was released.  ...

Dan thanks for the input.
2015-1-26
Use props
xzces
lvl.3
Flight distance : 81526 ft
  • >>>
Suriname

I think the prop locks are just a temporary solution. Most people claim that the black tipped propellers have problems. It seems like the nut in the propeller sits loose or the plastic around it is to soft. This happens over time, so the more you screw and unscrew the propellers, the problem worsens. I'll have my maiden flight tomorrow, but will wait for the locks afterwards.

I do hope there will be an propeller upgrade soon though. Perhaps a cf version with small pins to keep it in place in the 4 holes on top of the motor. And a threaded cone that keeps it down. Seems much safer to me than just prop locks.
2015-1-26
Use props
svencool
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6690 ft
United States

xzces Posted at 2015-1-27 11:00
I think the prop locks are just a temporary solution. Most people claim that the black tipped propel ...

I've flown my Inspire about 30 times with only 1 occurance where it drifted a little bit but has never done that ever since, plus up to that point I had never done an IMU calibration either. So was that my fault but none the less I did one and it never has done it since.  As far as all this prop stuff I don't have a clue of what everyone else is talking about. Black props silver props!!! I've put mine on like DJI says to do and haven't had any problems. I was just telling a friend that I'm not sure I even need prop locks but now with all the stuff that's been going on I don't push it as I don't wanna loose it.

Well from what I understand the prop locks are suppose to maybe be shipped to us this week I hope lol

Mike
2015-1-26
Use props
xzces
lvl.3
Flight distance : 81526 ft
  • >>>
Suriname

I only flew my inspire once for 5 minutes or so and when taking of 1 of the black props it didn't spin freely. It was is if the trheads were clogged up. I think when flying it keeps on tighting itself,  compressing the material below the threads (some sort of hard plastic). The silver props seem to be metal from top till bottom. So in the end, not only will the guards prevent propellers coming off, they will also prevent further damage to the treads itself. But like i said, it seems like a temporary solution. In the end i wouldn't want something as heavy as the inspire sort of hanging on to props that are secured by some flimsy clips.

As to people flying there inspires successfully, maybe I just tried putting my props on to firmly. But like with my phantom, I just did it by hand, I don't even use the prop tool on my phantom! But with the phantom my props just stay on the quad. I only check then before each flight and haven't had any problems with them.
2015-1-27
Use props
chrisgeigerphot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13046529 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've got six hours of air time on mine. I am checking the props for every flight. I plan to use the locks and I won't worry about checking them so often.
2015-1-27
Use props
admin.cheapdron
lvl.1

United States

I have had 95min Flight time on mine, just now found out about prop nuts, haven't had any problems at ALL with Inspire...  I have done Advanced IMU calibrate and multiple compass resets...  Everything fine.  I'll use them when the come in, but I have had some pretty aggressive flights.

The Profile where you see all this info in the DJI APP, can I see that info online?  I don't know what page I can see that at...
2015-1-27
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

Could some of the issues of prop lose possibly have arisen from new buyers not knowing there is color coding on the prop and shaft to match then later finding out and discarding the fact they may have damaged threads on both the shaft and internal screws and fly any way. Or simply defective props they don't look the best made for the 3k craft they support.
3 test flights under my belt with the inspire 1 so far and I really dig this thing @ 100 feet you cant hear it for such a big copter.
Wish they had a better supplier for props I have seem carbon fiber ones on ebay but just cant trust the quality.
2015-1-27
Use props
chrisgeigerphot
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

The motor bells are drilled and tapped to accept tiger motor carbon props. Those are the best props I have seen. True carbon fiber.
2015-1-27
Use props
jerry1808.comca
lvl.1
United States

Colonel Angus Posted at 2015-1-28 13:22
Could some of the issues of prop lose possibly have arisen from new buyers not knowing there is colo ...

A "trick" I used on my S800EVO to check prop security was to put a "dot" of white paint on the head of the blade bolt and below it on the blade holder so it's easy to see if it's starting to loosen up. I'm doing the same with the Inspire, a dot on the prop hub and one on the rotor below it. This also makes it unnecessary to "torque down" the props after a flight to check for tightness. I've flown mine three times now and couldn't ask for better performance, rock solid with reliable hd video feed to an IPad Retina 2 for the app interface. Basically everything works as advertised. I realize a lot of you, myself included are more than a little upset about the app debacle but I started using DJI with the Ace One autopilot system on a Bergen Tazer 800 single rotor copter and the original Phantom followed by an S800EVO. They all had their problems and quirks but having matured are all great platforms. If you're going to invest in "bleeding edge" technology accept the fact you'll likely give some emotional "blood" in getting things set up properly. As a retired Northwest airline captain, I can recall many airliners that cost billions in development that had more than their share of problems when they went into line service. The most recent example, the Boeing 787 years late, billions over budget complete with exploding batteries. Today it's proving to be a great aircraft, I think the Inspire will be the same.
2015-1-27
Use props
rwtonline.iclou
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2489885 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Hi guys

Got my inspire yesterday, I just wanted to confirm there is a 0,5mm gap between the base of the prop and the motor is this normal?

I actually used a small nylon washer (od 20mm) to fill this gap and the props are much tighter now. only issue is if you over tighten the props it pushes down the bell housing causing the motors to become stiff, there is no set screw to tighten the bell to the shaft either.

But the 0,5mm nylon washer makes a big difference only use one hand to tighten, but thats of course if that gap is normal??

2015-1-27
Use props
chrisgeigerphot
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Do not use washers under the props, it makes them come lose in flight. DJI says don't do it
2015-1-27
Use props
rwtonline.iclou
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2489885 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Ahh good thing I have not flown yet!!

Why is this though? all prop are generally tightened against the bell or adapters ect..
Is the gap normal?  
2015-1-27
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

jerry1808.comca Posted at 2015-1-28 14:14
A "trick" I used on my S800EVO to check prop security was to put a "dot" of white paint on the hea ...

I like that trick and following suit picking up some paint asap !
This copter is cool I so agree on all fronts and with a scant 2 hours if that if flight I see exactly why we all bought this expensive tool.
Never had a prop failure in many flights with the phantoms so I feel comfortable as well as the rest of you to fly with restraint. Hand tightening should be sufficient one would hope.

Don't use washers that gap is there for a reason I'm sure.
2015-1-27
Use props
hej
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2040512 ft
Sweden

I will use the locks. Don't want one more dead bird.
2015-1-28
Use props
umcom
lvl.1
Flight distance : 20492 ft
United States

I've been flying a P2V+ for about a year with no issues whatsoever.

Read all the manuals, watched all the videos, charged the batteries and did the compas dance, attached props to Inspire after switching out of transport mode, hand tightened them. Flipped Bird over and attached the camera, then turned it back over and re-tightned all four props. Powered everything up and launched to about 12-15-ft height and let if hover for a few moments then eased it up to 20-25-ft and gradually moved forward and started banking left. About 30-seconds into the flight the right, rear propeller (black) flew off and Inspire dropped lick a rock.

Waiting for replacement Inspire and I won't be flying it without the prop locks.
2015-1-28
Use props
metalios
lvl.3
Flight distance : 892703 ft
  • >>>
United States

locks shipped.  FedEx delivery to NY on Monday.
2015-1-28
Use props
hej
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2040512 ft
Sweden

umcom Posted at 2015-1-29 02:07
I've been flying a P2V+ for about a year with no issues whatsoever.

Read all the manuals, watched  ...

This is rare, but it really does happen. And people seems to have a hard time believe we where hand tighten the props.  This happened for me to. (this was before the official warning from DJI) I also am waiting for my new bird. And this one will have those locks every time. Lets listen to DJI when the say that there is a possibility that it can happen. I do believe them.  ;c)

Thanks for sharing.
2015-1-28
Use props
umcom
lvl.1
Flight distance : 20492 ft
United States

Yeah, one of my friends was recording the flight on her iPhone and you can clearly see the prop come off just before it drops. Many, many flights with the P2V+ and never had a prop issue, still using the original props with 'spare' set still in plastic bags.

I called B&H and they were like 'sure, no problem, emailing you an RMA right now, ship it back and we'll send you another one'. I thought the return was way too easy and the next day DJI issued the Prop Lock announcement.

Waiting on new Inspire to ship, but if the Apple vas DJI issue isn't resolved soon I may just cancel the order and stay with my P2V+.
2015-1-28
Use props
reg
New

Norway

chrisgeigerphot Posted at 2015-1-28 14:43
Do not use washers under the props, it makes them come lose in flight. DJI says don't do it

I have tried and used washeres on several flights. The washers makes it harder for the props to come loose! The DJI statement on this makes no sense at all, really!

The need for prop stoppers is prof of bad design, sorry to say.

2015-1-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules