Data recorder / data logger error
6354 12 2016-7-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
vincent4
New

Australia

Got this brand new Phantom 4.

Installed the DJI Go app, updated the drone's firmware, did the IMU / compass calibration as per instruction.

It would not fly due with messages displayed: Data recorder error / data logger error.

Contacted DJI Online support, was asked to re-calibrate IMU. If this did not solve the problem, then re-install updates through DJI Assitant 2.

Now IMU is re-calibrated but same old issues. DJI Assistant 2 just would NOT work on my MAC.

It is 1pm Beijing time on Saturday but DJI Online Support is offline. Can somebody please help? I really need to get this A$2,000 drone flying tomorrow on a birthday party.
2016-7-29
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hello Vincent4,it is recommended to run the DJI Assistant 2 on OSX 10.10 or later.Also, if refreshing the firmware doesn't help, it is possibly a hardware error which needs to be sent in.Sorry for the inconvenience.
2016-7-29
Use props
vincent4
New

Australia

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-7-30 17:06
Hello Vincent4,it is recommended to run the DJI Assistant 2 on OSX 10.10 or later.Also, if refreshin ...

Hi Paladin. My Mac is running OS X El Capitan 10.11.6. However DJI Assistant 2 would not connect to the drone after I sign in (no equipment being displayed).
2016-7-30
Use props
vincent4
New

Australia

Have also tried to launch DJI Assistant 2 on a PC. Same result (no equipment detected). I think I might have got a lemon!
2016-7-31
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

vincent4 Posted at 2016-7-31 17:53
Have also tried to launch DJI Assistant 2 on a PC. Same result (no equipment detected). I think I mi ...

If the driver has been installed in both computers correctly, the drone should be detected normally.So I'd suggest you to contact support@dji.com or our online support(http://www.dji.com/support/product) and send it in.
2016-7-31
Use props
Heebus
lvl.4

Canada

check the cable you are using, the one they send with the drone works, but dont use the small male to female connector the send with it, it doesnt work if you use that, just the micro usb to usb connector works
2016-7-31
Use props
vincent4
New

Australia

Heebus Posted at 2016-8-1 12:51
check the cable you are using, the one they send with the drone works, but dont use the small male t ...

Thanks. It was indeed the cable. Used another cable and it worked.
However same error messages were displayed after reinstalling the firmware update.
Hopefully the local AU distributor of DJI will solve the problem for me.
2016-8-1
Use props
Heebus
lvl.4

Canada

vincent4 Posted at 2016-8-1 06:47
Thanks. It was indeed the cable. Used another cable and it worked.
However same error messages wer ...

after update to u calibrate ur IMU, sensors and compass, depending on what error messages ur getting it could solve them, post them here maybe we can help
2016-8-1
Use props
Drones Toronto
lvl.2
Flight distance : 953596 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I have had this issue on pretty much every DJI machine and the source and solution is the same for all.   Basically, the internal SD card, 'the black box' is faulty, regardless of how it got into that state.   The old apps had some options to download data from this SD card but it has slowly been removed from the 'general settings' tab.   Contrary to the multitudes of solutions, IMHO, this problem can be resolved simply by replacing this SD card.    On the Phantom 3 units, it is located under the main board, you can see it if you peer inside battery compartment, looking up.  On Phantom 4's it is visible on the flight controller once the gimbal is replaced.  On the Mavic units it is also inside and the cover has to be removed.   Note that tampering with this will likely void the warranty and DJI will repair if you send it in, for a fee, if unit is out of warranty.  This is debatable policy as it clearly is a manufacturer defect due to hardware failure or conflicts encountered due to poor quality firmware updates.

Physically replacing it however, is not easy.   The card retainer is designed to retain the SD card once it is pushed in the first time.  You can not pull it out easily.   If pushed too hard, it will crack like ceramic plate.  If you pry the silver retainer cage, it will not be possible to reinstall it and without it, the SD card will not make proper contact with the reader pins.  In this case, you may be able to 'crazy glue' or 'epoxy'  the new SD card, applying constant pressure until bond is complete, ensuring no glue gets into the contacts.

I have included picture of the reader assembly exposing the internals.  I created a small pry tool out of an old battery terminal which I used to pick away at the small bit of plastic holding the SD card in place.  I also applied moderate lateral pressure with a flat screw driver to help push the SD card out as I made progress chipping away the bit of plastic.   You can see in second picture, the same area with the plastic piece picked away.  If you are careful, the SD card will slide out without damaging the reader.   I had spare 4 gig cards from other mainboards (with other issues) which I used to replace the faulty one.  

If the retainer becomes loose, the pins on reader may not make proper contact with bottom of SD card.  In this case you can cut a shim and slide it on top of the SD card.  This will apply more pressure downwards on the SD card, allowing the pins to make proper contact with SD card.    You can see in the third picture, the shim in its place, ( I cut it out of a pop can ).  

As we have chipped away the plastic holding the SD card in place,   you can use a dab of  silicone or epoxy at the end of the SD card.   

I have done this repair several times and can vouch for positive results.   Although this problem may have other solutions, I believe that they inadvertently re-established lost contact on this SD card and owners may have just attributed it to what ever action they last attempted.
Note the small component with holes in it, next to the SD assembly.  This is the barometer I believe and it is important for these holes to be clear of any debris, ensure you do not plug them up.

2018-3-22
Use props
Roety
lvl.2
Flight distance : 38579 ft
  • >>>
United States

This post helped me fix my v 2.0   I popped out the card and couldn't format it.  put in a 16GB formatted fat 32 ,  drone is flying again , no more data logger error.   Thanks
Eric orlandodronerepair com
2019-10-27
Use props
geroallue
lvl.2
Flight distance : 30085 ft
Argentina

Roety Posted at 2019-10-27 13:10
This post helped me fix my v 2.0   I popped out the card and couldn't format it.  put in a 16GB formatted fat 32 ,  drone is flying again , no more data logger error.   Thanks
Eric orlandodronerepair com

Wheres located the sd
On p4pv2?
Its easy to make it? Did you break the holder? I have after a crash sd card error and data logger error.
2020-9-26
Use props
Roety
lvl.2
Flight distance : 38579 ft
  • >>>
United States

geroallue Posted at 2020-9-26 08:03
Wheres located the sd
On p4pv2?
Its easy to make it? Did you break the holder? I have after a crash sd card error and data logger error.

sd card on the control IMU board,  scrape the silicone off, card socket slides or pops up.    didn't break it
2022-1-31
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I concur with the above solution.  Replacing the data SD card solves the problem for the P3s too.  But one difference with the P3s is the drone will still start up and launch and fly just fine - but with a scary main controller error showing up in the middle of the Go app.  So you won't have an onboard data log.  Acquire new card.  Format new card with FAT32.  The time consuming part is dismantling the drone to get to the card reader which is installed on the underside of the centerboard on the P3s.  And the early P3s have cards that are glued in with the silicon which has to be carefully cut away, later P3s are not glued in.  
2022-2-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules