http://edition.cnn.com/2015/01/2 ... ice-secret-service/
2015-1-26
Use props
abe.email
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524032 ft
  • >>>
United States

Makes you wonder what this guy was thinking, flying his drone over the White House.  What could possibly go wrong?
2015-1-26
Use props
jrbonino.email
lvl.3

United States

These are the people that screw things up for everyone else.
2015-1-26
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

Don't even give this pilot a frisbee let alone a quad . Yup it's almost over now .
2015-1-26
Use props
vonbaron1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42014 ft
  • >>>
United States

Evening news just reported that the guy called it in and he stated it was a fly away.   Good Choice.
2015-1-26
Use props
ganobull.email
New

United States

What a DUMMY!!!!
2015-1-26
Use props
daninperth
lvl.3

United States

"With the discovery of an unauthorized drone on the White House lawn, the eagle has crash-landed in Washington; there is no stronger sign that clear FAA guidelines for drones are needed," Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., said in a statement Monday afternoon.

Yeah the guy was very foolish. The airspace in question is already highly regulated. But hearing Chuck speak to this makes my stomach churn. It is not good when a Senator actually has his staff dreaming up clever statements. These folks love to regulate everything to the nth degree.  I won't fly my machine near or over crowds, never mind over crowded city areas.  But it doesn't always matter to regulators what most of us will do.  Incidents like this one may contribute the most to policy.

Dan
2015-1-26
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74659 ft
United States

daninperth Posted at 2015-1-27 08:31
"With the discovery of an unauthorized drone on the White House lawn, the eagle has crash-landed in  ...

Pilot was a government employee!
http://www.usatoday.com/story/ne ... h-earnest/22338781/
2015-1-26
Use props
daninperth
lvl.3

United States

You'd think anyone familiar with DC and its current worries would know that this is a crazy thing to do. Guess he didn't want to make the trip south before taking off?!
2015-1-26
Use props
DJI-DingC
lvl.2

China

Makes me wonder, how would fly a quad at 3:00 am in the morning in DC for testing purpose.
2015-1-26
Use props
slash_nash.emai
Second Officer
Flight distance : 355157 ft
United Kingdom

Obama responds to drone landing at White House

"Obama: We need more drone regulations"

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/01/2 ... /index.html?lang=en
2015-1-27
Use props
slash_nash.emai
Second Officer
Flight distance : 355157 ft
United Kingdom

NO more flying in Washington from DJI

http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/ ... washington-flights/
2015-1-28
Use props
pidetectives.em
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>
United States

Soon local municipalities will request or demand DJI to do the same.

Just takes one idiot to mess it up.
2015-1-28
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

Here is what I have posted:

Please note the following that appeared in the WSJ this morning:

DJI Announces New Safe Flight Features Limiting Flight in DC Metropolitan Area
-          Restrictions are in accordance with FAA guidelines
-          Additional limits will prohibit flight across borders
Hong Kong, (28 January 2015) – DJI will release a mandatory firmware update for the Phantom 2, Phantom 2 Vision, and Phantom 2 Vision+ to help users comply with the FAA’s Notice to Airmen (NOTAM) 0/8326, which restricts unmanned flight around the Washington, DC metropolitan area.
The updated firmware (V3.10) will be released in coming days and adds a No-Fly Zone centered on downtown Washington, DC and extends for a 25 kilometer (15.5 mile) radius in all directions. Phantom pilots in this area will not be able to take off from or fly into this airspace.
The restriction is part of a planned extension of DJI’s No Fly Zone system that prohibits flight near airports and other locations where flight is restricted by local authorities. These extended no fly zones will include over 10,000 airports registered with the International Air Transport Association (IATA) and will expand no fly zones to ensure they cover the runways at major international airports.
DJI is also continuing to update its no fly zone list in compliance with local regulations to include additional sensitive locations and to prevent flight across national borders.
These new safety features will be released across DJI’s flying platforms in the near future.
“With the unmanned aerial systems community growing on a daily basis, we feel it is important to provide pilots additional tools to help them fly safely and responsibly,” said Michael Perry, DJI’s company spokesperson. “We will continue cooperating with regulators and lawmakers to ensure the skies stay safe and open for innovation.”

Here is the link to the full story:  http://www.wsj.com/articles/dron ... -1422451954?tesla=y

DJI is being proactive in this matter.
2015-1-28
Use props
pidetectives.em
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>
United States

abe.email Posted at 2015-1-27 07:30
Makes you wonder what this guy was thinking, flying his drone over the White House.  What could poss ...

And drunk I understand also.
2015-1-28
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

People like this are going to ruin this hobby for all this guy is the Steve Bartman of the RC world what was his name??
He should be on a no buy,no fly list with DJI.
Can you imagine the EMF coming out of the white house complex and how that affects the craft wth was this person thinking?

Big Gov will tax and add huge licensing fees soon, along with schooling and certification ,and huge jail times for violators.
May be the only solution here in years to come via all the knuckle heads out there ,so fly free as much as you can.
Safety is the mantra.
2015-1-28
Use props
abe.abekleinfel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524032 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-1-29 04:08
Her is what I have posted:

Please note the following that appeared in the WSJ this morning:

Let's hope the concluding sentence in The Atlantic magazine article doesn't become a reality:

"But after Monday's scare at the White House, the days of being able to buy a drone at Radio Shack, or on Amazon.com, and flying it around like a toy plane could be coming to an end."

http://www.theatlantic.com/polit ... house-obama/384869/
2015-1-28
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

I do not think that will will be the case.  We will see.
2015-1-28
Use props
alexander.sucke
lvl.2

Cambodia

One of my customers is Lufthansa Technik, sitting on the Hamburg Airport.
Does this update mean, I can't work for this customer anymore?
Until now, all flights were approved by the airports tower.
2015-1-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules