X5 fan too noisy on OSMO
5733 24 2016-7-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
smallvideo
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The fan on my new X5 is far too noisey... Why does it not cut the fan off in record mode same as the X3. Could we also have the ability to switch off the red LED light in the front please.
2016-7-30
Use props
jcap858
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1949820 ft
  • >>>
United States

Agreed. I'm hoping for two new features. Focus peaking like it does when attached to the inspire 1 and shutting off that fan during recording.
2016-7-30
Use props
Freeman84
lvl.1
Poland

In X3 there is a shutting off fan option during recording in mic option at DJI GO app.
You don't have that option in X5 ?
Tried latest firmware?
2016-7-30
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi, it's normal. But how noisy is it? Do you have a video to show?

2016-7-31
Use props
smallvideo
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-H.C Posted at 2016-7-31 09:01

Please you must be joking...You shut off or at least dampened the X3 for the very same reason during record mode, i wanted to use the Osmo/X5 in a studio environment but can't due to the fan noise...You must be aware how noisy this is on an OSMO.
2016-7-31
Use props
mcjackson1986
lvl.2

That's my biggest complaint as well, the recorded audio is unusable.  
2016-7-31
Use props
jcap858
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1949820 ft
  • >>>

The x5 fan noise is worse than the x3 fan noise when it's not shut off.
2016-7-31
Use props
smallvideo
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Is there a reason the X5 fan does not switch off or at a lower setting during recording ?
2016-7-31
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

smallvideo@mac. Posted at 2016-7-31 18:46
Please you must be joking...You shut off or at least dampened the X3 for the very same reason durin ...

We're very sorry. The reason is that X5 generates more heat than X3,  so the fan cannot be stopped or it will overheat.

2016-7-31
Use props
smallvideo
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wish I had known this before shelling out £2K...people should be made aware of this serious shortcoming. I would have bought a hand held gimbal if I had known this.
2016-7-31
Use props
jflamm
lvl.1
United States

This is really disappointing!  I have my X5 on order from B&H but am going to cancel.  The Osmo Pro has the potential to be one of the best filmmaking tools available with it's ease of use, interchangeable lenses, remote focus etc.  The noise completely destroys this since the only way to get decent audio with an external mic positioned away from the Osmo.  I wish DJI would give us their plan for fixing this problem as I much prefer to stick with DJI.  I have already purchased 12mm and 45mm lenses and was super excited.  Will there be a future update to turn off the fan on the X5 or will DJI come out with an updated version?  When?
2016-8-1
Use props
user30aeca185f
New

Sorry to hi-jack your thread. This is not the only issue. There should be at least a HDMI port so that you can connect a monitor like smallhd 501. This is a must for critical focus. Connecting a phone for a monitor is a joke as there is a delay between receiving signal. Plus the resolution isn't as good as a pro monitor. They should have left this idea with the X3, being a pro gimbal should have pro features. This then has a disjoint from the app & monitor. No point carrying a phone & a pro monitor. They need to think of a way to get app features displayed on monitor. The second thing is the 4th axis they need to sort this out. Plus low light performance, no good shooting a wedding in a dim church or venue, especially first dance. Also a proper microphone & headphone jack. I see a X6 PRO gimbal to sort these issue, no firmware update will manage it. While they are fixing the low light sensitivity they can up the sensor size APSC. Oh while I'm going on might as well ask for something super light. If they can bring something like this out they have solved the division by zero equation
2016-8-2
Use props
bonezshaker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 389199 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Have you thought of mounting a microphone on the bottom of the Osmo? I've stuck a cold shoe on mine to get the mic as far away from the camera noise as possible.
DSC_0079ps2.png
2016-8-2
Use props
deanmcneill
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1414593 ft
United Kingdom

DJI-H.C Posted at 2016-7-31 09:01

i wouldn't have wasted 2.5 k on this rig if i had know the fan is that noisey i have my mic as low and as far forward as poss and it still sings in the background !!!! losing faith in dji rapidly
sorry about the messy room just returned from france filming having to edit all the sound because of that fan !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Photo on 20-09-2016 at 18.06.jpg
2016-9-20
Use props
adwhiskys
lvl.1
Flight distance : 746831 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Its shocking this Pro version of the OSMO has so many shortfalls, Its a complete joke you can't shut the fan off for at least 30 seconds. Not to mention the terrible gimbal drift when on a tripod, the lack of motion timelapse or active tracking. Funny how DJI have now gone quiet in this thread.
2016-9-20
Use props
wbut-sp
Banned

Macao

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-9-21
Use props
simon_finlayson
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DJI-H.C Posted at 2016-8-1 07:06
We're very sorry. The reason is that X5 generates more heat than X3,  so the fan cannot be stopped ...

SOUND TEST!  DJI x5 with external RODE mic.  
So,  DJI-H.C,  is this as good as it will get for me?
Really,  this is no good!  I can't use this!    
2016-10-30
Use props
sbraxton
lvl.1
United States

simon_finlayson Posted at 2016-10-30 02:55
SOUND TEST!  DJI x5 with external RODE mic.  
So,  DJI-H.C,  is this as good as it will get for me?
Really,  this is no good!  I can't use this!  https://youtu.be/PGqeknggthk

The noise of the X5 really makes the audio unsuable.  I've even attached a separate shotgun microphone to the X5 and while it is better, it is not usable.
The only realistic solution is to use a separate boom microphone or a lavaliere and sync in post to the internal recording using the FlexiMic as a scratch recording.
Most of us do this anyway for any high fidelity video recording.
At lease we are not using the X5Raw.  It's sound is so loud that it disrupts people.
2017-2-6
Use props
Paul17
lvl.1
Flight distance : 132687 ft
United Kingdom

Just bought the Osmo Pro which is a great tool for filming but the sound is just dreadful and ruined my 1st paid shoot. Has any one got a solution to get around the fan noise. Im still waiting for DJI to send out the Rode Mic but my god it is dreadful. £1800 spent on silent films!!
2017-3-20
Use props
danirvine 1
lvl.2
Australia

My x5 is really noisy too I wish the fan could turn off while recording like the standard or the plus version
I have even been told to stop during a shoot as the noise was heard on the interview mics

I also would love the Telly light to stop flashing
Also we need slow motion
It seams the pro is missing the good stuff the standard version has please DJI don't for get us Osmo x5 shooters
This camera can be amazing if it had these fuctions
And better peaking !!!
2017-8-17
Use props
danirvine 1
lvl.2
Australia

Where is slow motion on the x5 cameras also?
2017-8-17
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

danirvine 1 Posted at 2017-8-17 04:20
My x5 is really noisy too I wish the fan could turn off while recording like the standard or the plus version
I have even been told to stop during a shoot as the noise was heard on the interview mics

danirvine, sorry that the fan cannot be turned off because the X5 is big and the temperature will rise up quickly and will be easily damaged without fan.
Besides, slow motion is not available because of its hardware limit.
We apologize for the inconvenience that has been caused.
2017-8-17
Use props
djiuser_TJNslmh093gN
New
France

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-17 23:32
danirvine, sorry that the fan cannot be turned off because the X5 is big and the temperature will rise up quickly and will be easily damaged without fan.
Besides, slow motion is not available because of its hardware limit.
We apologize for the inconvenience that has been caused.

Do you realise how dishonnest it is, to not mention that fan noise problem before people actually buy the Osmo Pro??
I just used mine professionally for the first time today, in a studio environment and I've had to stop filming because all the other mics in the room were disturbed by the fan noise.
None of the footage I shot is usable (except muted). It's a shame. There's no way I would have bought this camera had I known about that beforehand.
Are you guys at DJI working on a solution? Or setting up a refund plan??
2018-3-13
Use props
mengus
New

France

Hi guys !

ANY news from DJI !??
How DJI has solved this BIG issue... impossible to sell such camera with that fan noise !!
So if no solution does DJi will give my money back !!!???
I have an X5 since 2 months and need to film  many quiet scene in a film... what do i do with that horrible fan noise... how ridiculous for such a camera price !!!!

thanks for your feedback
2019-1-27
Use props
adamjeal
lvl.2

United Kingdom

mengus Posted at 1-27 13:28
Hi guys !

ANY news from DJI !??

Hi, can anyone tell me if they have had a satisfactory resolution to this
2019-2-12
Use props