5043 9 2016-7-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sim_bri
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7149 ft
France

Hey guys,

One of my motor just burnt (Damn straw ), and i'm trying to replace it with a new one.

However, I can't get the tin melted with a 19W soldering iron, heated to 350 °C.
Do you guys have any suggestion for a better soldering iron ? How much power I need, how many degrees ?
And do you have any advice to not destroy the board during the soldering ?

Thx guys

2016-7-30
Use props
billwish76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175495 ft

Hey bro. I been soldering for my job for 15 years and for hobby over 20 to 25. 350 is way too low. at work with LED solder regularly at about 650 deg F . I've never worked on a phantom other than an antenna but what I would suggest is don't solder on the board cut the motor wire somewhere in the middle and then solder the new motor wire to those if you flub up you won't mess up your mainboard just get some heat shrink tubing to put around it to prevent shorts
2016-7-30
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

billwish76 Posted at 2016-7-31 09:08
Hey bro. I been soldering for my job for 15 years and for hobby over 20 to 25. 350 is way too low. a ...

He is talking about 350 degreess CENTIGRADE, not Fahrenheit. And it should work fine at that temperature, even with lead-free solder, but not with a 19 Watt iron. You need way higher power than that, preferably around 80 Watts.

However billwish76 does have a point about the wires, far safer to cut them and join the new wires on then heatsleeve them.

2016-7-30
Use props
sim_bri
lvl.2
France

Geebax Posted at 2016-7-31 03:14
He is talking about 350 degreess CENTIGRADE, not Fahrenheit. And it should work fine at that temper ...

Thanks guys, I'm going to fix this tomorrow.
What does the power change actually ?
2016-7-31
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

sim_bri Posted at 2016-8-1 06:25
Thanks guys, I'm going to fix this tomorrow.
What does the power change actually ?

It determines if the soldering iron has enough horsepower to do the job. A low wattage iron, like 19 watts, will have a hard time supplying enough heat to do the job, as the heat gets carried away by the work as fast as it can generate it. A higher power iron will feed plenty of heat into the job.
2016-7-31
Use props
quanthonytrang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

If you are joining the cable or doing any soldering on the Phantom's, get some sand paper and sand off any coating on the cable/solder points. The coating makes soldering difficult.
2016-7-31
Use props
barryweakley
New

United States

It helps to use soldering flux also.  Just dip the bare wire ends in the flux before soldering.  Works great!
2016-8-2
Use props
sim_bri
lvl.2
France

Hey guys.
I fixed my drone today, works perfectly. A 60W iron did the job.
Thanks for your time.

"It helps to use soldering flux also.  Just dip the bare wire ends in the flux before soldering.  Works great!"
I will consider it next time, thanks.
2016-8-2
Use props
billwish76
lvl.4

oh ok i use Fahrenheit
2016-8-4
Use props
billwish76
lvl.4