Tablet Viewing In Daylight
4948 29 2016-7-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KM5RG-Robert
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft

Hey all,

I just purchased (and am going to return) a 10 inch Android tablet to try flying with. I have been using a Samsung S5 phone which has worked flawlessly except it is of course pretty small. The tablet I tried was nearly unuseable outside so I made up a shield and tried again. Still not great and the glare/reflection from behind me was pretty bad as well. The phone screen was much brighter (but would be better if it was still brighter, have not used a shield with it).
So my question is this, are any tablets bright enough to fly in sunlight without a shield? I am looking at the Nvidia K1, Samsung Tab A and even considering one of the Apple Tabs although I don't have any Apple products now. I just tried a cheaper quad-core 16Gb 10 inch Tab and was having jumpy video and app crashes while flying (yikes!).
I really didn't want to spend $$$$ but may have to.

Robert
2016-7-30
Use props
johnsr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

Most of us are using sunshades with larger tablets (I use Nexus 9); there are basically two options that really work: 1) a full hood see Hoodman for their drone aviator hood (great for pros but less mobility), and 2) an angled sunshade (around 70°) which avoids seeing yourself (and backlight; less efficient but more mobility), for some models and an explaination see HoodiVision
You can start with a DIY version of either.
Have fun & good flying!  
2016-7-31
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I use an iPad Air2 64gb Cellular. It's not great in bright Sun, but I am thinking of adding some matte finish www.ghost-armor.com film to my screen.
Check their website for a local vendor, often found in a convenient shopping mall, near you... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-7-31
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Due to the limitation of current technology, pretty much any tablets will struggle to give you a clear display under direct sun light in summer, so it's recommended to get a hood mentioned in 2#; or make one yourself.

Nvidia K1 and iPad mini 2-4/ ipad air are popular choices in the forum.
2016-7-31
Use props
DrawsWithLight.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2136716 ft
United Kingdom

I made my own tablet shade out of card. I can provide the template I made if anyone is interested. (forgive me for the messy desk!)

2016-8-1
Use props
johnsr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

Here's a DIY cardboard sunshade (spray painted black) that I used for many months before finally buying one. As you'll notice the angle is very steep to avoid seeing your own reflection in bright sunlight. Its held on the tablet with Velcro strips (two small wooden tabs rest on the tablet front-face) and opens flat to slip in my backpack. A second Velcro strip secures the tablet and sunshade to the RC controller's suport bar (avoids a falling tablet in case of a bump...).

DFX_1788_LR.jpg

2016-8-1
Use props
MicroFPV
lvl.3

United States

I figured this was going to be a problem in most any conditions.  Same as trying to use my old laptop outside.  Just the background reflections under the patio umbrella are enough to stifle using it.
I like the creativity and thanks for sharing!  We need an enclosed box with paper towel tubes for viewing ports, but then you would not be able to touch the tablet.  I'm so used to flying with goggles of course there you are not touching the tablet either.  

Really hope to see further developments soon on screen visibility.
2016-8-1
Use props
j5255
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5291158 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I use a iPhone 6s.  I can always find enough shade to see the screen on sunny days, either under a tree of using a sunshade.  I find cloudy days to be the most troublesome, when the light hits the screen from all directions.  I have found no solution to this yet, but a bigger screen might help.
2016-8-1
Use props
mochorm
lvl.2
Flight distance : 940148 ft
Canada

Super AMOLED screen will give you the best performance out doors in bright sunlight.
I'm using a Samsung S2 Model T-710 tablet and you can use it without a shade and still see the screen. I tried my apple devices and a couple of Android Tablets I have and nothing compares to the Super AMOLED screen on the Samsung. So anything with a AMOLED screen is going to work best at this point in time.

Having said that, Android "M" v6.01 is giving  people problems with the the USB port on Samsung's tablets. I took Samsung's newest S2 T-713 back and exchanged it for last years model S2 T-710 just because it doesn't have the USB issues the new T-713 has.
I could get the T-713 to work every-time by rebooting the tablet once the USB was connected to the R/C but as I was buying a tablet specifically for my P3P so I didn't want the hassle. I believe there will be a fix for the USB issue as MANY people (not just us DJI users) are having issues with the USB port and certain apps. But again I don't want to wait
2016-8-1
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have a Samsung S6, iPad Air2, mini 3 and in the sun any device you use should have a sunshade. I'm still waiting to try out the Hoodman. http://hoodmanusa.com/
2016-8-1
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Second Officer
United States

I would try the old photography method of draping a black cloth over everything if I did not fear looking crazy/being attacked/not being able to watch the drone directly/or heatstroke.  ;-)
2016-8-1
Use props
j5255
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5291158 ft
  • >>>
Canada

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2016-8-1 19:22
I would try the old photography method of draping a black cloth over everything if I did not fear lo ...

This has crossed my mind too !  Seriously wonder if anyone has tried it yet ?
2016-8-2
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Second Officer

So I picked up a Samsung Tab A 8 inch. It seems to work OK so far. I flew yesterday and today and it worked just fine in bright shade (used my liftgate or the shade of a tree). Even tried it in full sun and could still see it.
The only problem I had was initially connecting the app via USB twice out of 4 flights. Had to restart the tablet. Did not shut down the tab between flights. Just stand by. Will get that procedure figured out soon enough. I had heard that the new Android system had some problems connecting USB devices so they may get that fixed soon enough.
2016-8-6
Use props
Cetaman
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2016-8-6 16:48
So I picked up a Samsung Tab A 8 inch. It seems to work OK so far. I flew yesterday and today and it ...

Aloha Robert,

There are also matte finish screen protectors that work well in their anti-glare function.  For an expensive solution ($250) there is the HeadPlay HD goggles, if you want amazing.  Keep catching my finger on my nose when I try to make changes though!
     I have a beach chair with a little canopy over it that rotates up into place.  I put an airline style small blanket on the sun side and hold it in place with clothes pins.  Works great and is a comfortable seat.

BTW, the nVidia Shield K1 is sold out online everywhere.  It is that good!  But it still has an extremely shiny surface with too much glare.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-8-7
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Second Officer

Cetaman Posted at 2016-8-7 18:13
Aloha Robert,

There are also matte finish screen protectors that work well in their anti-glar ...

Yeah, the only k1s I saw were on ebay at $400. No thanks.
2016-8-7
Use props
PunaPhantom
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1680374 ft
  • >>>
United States

DrawsWithLight. Posted at 2016-7-31 22:53
I made my own tablet shade out of card. I can provide the template I made if anyone is interested. ( ...

Hey mate... I like the look of your sunshade... you said you have a template... would love to share this... ready to make one myself...
Mahalo & Aloha
PunaPhantom
2016-10-6
Use props
DrawsWithLight.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2136716 ft
United Kingdom

PunaPhantom Posted at 2016-10-6 10:37
Hey mate... I like the look of your sunshade... you said you have a template... would love to shar ...

Here you go

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByPVOjtjF_GoS1pCZjBxYWlkcVk/view?usp=sharing
2016-10-11
Use props
PunaPhantom
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

DrawsWithLight. Posted at 2016-10-10 23:13
Here you go

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByPVOjtjF_GoS1pCZjBxYWlkcVk/view?usp=sharing

Mahalo my brother...
Looks awesome and just what I need.
Someone suggested trying polarizing sunglasses - have to try that... would be incredible if it worked so we don't have to have these bulky freakin things on our RC.
Thx again...
2016-10-11
Use props
cubguy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 85505 ft
United States

So far I have had good luck with this one. It is $15.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... &th=1&psc=1
2016-10-11
Use props
afiend69
lvl.4
Flight distance : 626647 ft
Canada

works great

2016-10-15
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Leave a cup on the table, you might get donations from well wishers

Probably very practical, you'll be the one posting the best video...
2016-10-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

I still haven't addressed mine yet, but plan on fixing the glare issue with www.ghost-armor.com matte finish.

RedHotPoker
2016-10-15
Use props
PunaPhantom
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-10-15 12:28
I still haven't addressed mine yet, but plan on fixing the glare issue with www.ghost-armor.com matte finish.

Please let me know how this works for yuoo... unfortunately right after I made the sunshade and went out to try it... the bulk of the shade made it very unstable in the holder and the iPad dropped out and screen smashed - a repair is just $20 shy of a new one - CRAZY ordered a repair kit - have to get up the courage to try to do it...
2017-1-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

PunaPhantom Posted at 2017-1-8 22:33
Please let me know how this works for yuoo... unfortunately right after I made the sunshade and went out to try it... the bulk of the shade made it very unstable in the holder and the iPad dropped out and screen smashed - a repair is just $20 shy of a new one - CRAZY ordered a repair kit - have to get up the courage to try to do it...

Wow, what a crappy outcome that was for you. Sorry to hear this result. The screen on my old iPad3 needs to be fixed or replaced. Not looking forward to the repair bill for that either.
Well, with a tall cup of strong coffee, you should go ahead and fix the device. ;-)
& you'll feel better once it's done.
Never did get www.ghost-armor.com film applied to my iPad Air2 screen, but I still intend to.

RedHotPoker
2017-1-8
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

I thought this was an aerial photo of a homeless person sleeping it off at first.

Second thought was maybe this isn't such a bad idea if you want to fly without getting hassled.  Who is going to approach a homeless person sleeping?  Maybe add some boxes and some smelly Limburger cheese to mark your territory too, or some of that smelly stuff kids use to annoy their parents or get kicked out of class like these  http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=fart+spray  I doubt even the cops would come near you and you could fly forever.   Besides, they know the homeless don't have the money to pay a drone ordinance fine, but the guy in the Range Rover wearing a suit flying his drone does.

2017-1-9
Use props
PunaPhantom
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-1-9 10:26
I thought this was an aerial photo of a homeless person sleeping it off at first.

Second thought was maybe this isn't such a bad idea if you want to fly without getting hassled.  Who is going to approach a homeless person sleeping?  Maybe add some boxes and some smelly Limburger cheese to mark your territory too, or some of that smelly stuff kids use to annoy their parents or get kicked out of class like these  http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=fart+spray  I doubt even the cops would come near you and you could fly forever.   Besides, they know the homeless don't have the money to pay a drone ordinance fine, but the guy in the Range Rover wearing a suit flying his drone does.

Ha ha ha - I laugh, but not really... had to go shoot a cemetery that got inundated with lava today... sun right on my tablet... pulled my t-shirt pout and shoved rc under t-shirt then ducked head in to see screen - WORKED freakin' great... now I am going to go to a fabric store get some black fabric and have it sewn onto a wide brimmed hat...

I think I have a winner here...
2017-1-15
Use props
PunaPhantom
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-1-8 22:47
Wow, what a crappy outcome that was for you. Sorry to hear this result. The screen on my old iPad3 needs to be fixed or replaced. Not looking forward to the repair bill for that either.
Well, with a tall cup of strong coffee, you should go ahead and fix the device. ;-)
& you'll feel better once it's done.

After getting quotes from $170-240 I bought for $20 the replacement digitizer and did it myself... patience, patience, patience was the advice on one web site and it paid off... iPad is back to 100% now... and you are right - I do feel SO much better... actually brought me JOY...
2017-1-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

PunaPhantom Posted at 2017-1-15 21:19
After getting quotes from $170-240 I bought for $20 the replacement digitizer and did it myself... patience, patience, patience was the advice on one web site and it paid off... iPad is back to 100% now... and you are right - I do feel SO much better... actually brought me JOY...

Ah, ok that's great. You sound happy, which is all that matters. Haha

I knew, once you got through with it, you would feel much better.

Take care of that, this time, will ya?! ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-1-15
Use props
RSW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116736 ft
United States

PunaPhantom Posted at 2017-1-15 21:16
Ha ha ha - I laugh, but not really... had to go shoot a cemetery that got inundated with lava today... sun right on my tablet... pulled my t-shirt pout and shoved rc under t-shirt then ducked head in to see screen - WORKED freakin' great... now I am going to go to a fabric store get some black fabric and have it sewn onto a wide brimmed hat...

I think I have a winner here...

Cemetery? Kapoho or Pahoa?
2017-1-26
Use props
PunaPhantom
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

RSW Posted at 2017-1-26 16:30
Cemetery? Kapoho or Pahoa?

The old Japanese cemetery in Pahoa, by the transfer station.
2017-1-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules