Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Consumable P3 Shell design
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rnfaust
lvl.4
Flight distance : 734938 ft

If DJI continues to use a consumable, for lack of a better word, shell design, as in repeated early onset cracks, why not make them easier to swap out and maybe an HD shell option that's more robust in problem areas? I wouldn't mind swapping them if it wasn't so time consuming and difficult. An ecto skeleton isn't a bad idea, but wouldn't you rather have access to a stronger design?
2016-7-31
Use props
Capt. Wild Bill
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1319180 ft
  • >>>

I'm in the process of a shell replacement and the longest portion of the repair is the shipping to and back.
The repair itself was done in 1 day.
Needless to say I was very impressed with DJI in this aspect.
But it goes without saying the fact that there are so many shell failures is complete bullshite...
2016-7-31
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

I have a feeling that if DJI used a better plastic in their shells it would not be so much of a problem. In China it is quite common for companies doing plastic injection moulding to recycle parts that do not come out right, and this is a troublesome practice. Every time you recyle polystyrene type plastics, a little more of the plasticizer in the material leaches out, and eventually the plastic becomes brittle.
2016-7-31
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8139875 ft

Maybe p5 will be carbon fiber. Hopefully
2016-7-31
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

rayrokni Posted at 2016-8-1 00:27
Maybe p5 will be carbon fiber. Hopefully

I'm sure R&D team is aware of this issue and won't make the same mistake again.
2016-8-1
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-8-1 06:27
I have a feeling that if DJI used a better plastic in their shells it would not be so much of a prob ...

This is probably spot on.
DJI is doing a lot of shell replacements and I'm sure they want to fix this issue as much as the end users want it fixed.
They are paying for the shells and the labor.  Someone still has to be paid to do each replacement.
2016-8-1
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4
Flight distance : 734938 ft

Geebax Posted at 2016-8-1 06:27
I have a feeling that if DJI used a better plastic in their shells it would not be so much of a prob ...

Maybe The inspection process isn't thorough enough at their injection plant. and they are missing the shells with bad spots.
As for the plastic itself, I've found it very flexible and resilient.

I've had my P3A over a year now with no signs of cracking yet. After having it only a week I managed to back it into a  huge pine tree and it bent the shell when it hit the ground - actually wrinkled it at the motor end. One prop was hitting the fuselage as it turned. Nothing else was damaged.

I took the shell apart and reshaped it using a heat gun. That's why I say they are quite flexible.
Other than the evidence of a wrinkle having been there, no other problems remained or occurred since. I did add Strong Arm reinforcement plates later for peace of mind. But honestly, they would not have helped in that crash.

I think about replacing the shell, but since mine is ok now, I'm just waiting for something really better to come along or the next catastrophic event to go ahead and swap it out. Of course, next time I may not be so lucky and need a replacement aircraft.
Considering I'm a guy that voided his warranty the first week, I have no real complaints about my P3A at all. We'll see how long I can keep it in the air.

2016-8-1
Use props
mjlstudios
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

My old P3P with over 400 flights never had a single crack! I believe it is due to the clip on prop guard. The part at attaches to the air frame is never removed and is located in the right area to beef up the air frame skin. I have flown some high stress flights shooting motocross races and had the P3P fall 60 feet to the asphalt after a bird strike. My P3P never developed a crack, even after the crash!
20160801_112538.jpg
2016-8-1
Use props
WillBapta
lvl.2

United States

That's a good observation. Perhaps it's adding additional support. Regardless, I'd like to see a better material too
2016-8-1
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

DJI-H.C Posted at 2016-8-1 18:29
I'm sure R&D team is aware of this issue and won't make the same mistake again.

What do you mean by this.
Are you saying that a c.f. Shell is in fact a reality for the next phantom
2016-8-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Consumable, to me, normally means an edible. But my drone has no tasty flavor.... ;-)

It's understandable, that with all the shell cracks and them units getting sent in for replacement, that changes were inevitable.

Somehow I managed to escape that bunch of thin shell models, getting a completely trouble free drone, and still without a blemish... Ha
Looking forward to seeing what future editions will be made from...

RedHotPoker
2016-8-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules