Water floats for Phantom
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jamiehayman
lvl.1

Canada

just wondering if anyone has tried to make a sort of water float plane style  pontoons for the Phantom in case it does land in water.
It would raise the gimbal a bit more for safety, could work I think.
Like a slip on style you only use them when going out over water.
2016-8-1
Use props
MrPinaColada
lvl.4
Flight distance : 790082 ft

Chances of that working are very low, the reasoning being that the phantom is very very top heavy. It would instantly flip over. Floats are generally used as a recovery device, in case the phantom crashes into the water, the floats will at least make the phantom recoverable.
2016-8-1
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Are you wanting to do a lot of water landing?
If you only want floats to overcome a fear of flying over water, forget it.
The Phantom flies perfectly well over water.
Your Phantom will fly a lot better without trying to strap cumbersome floats to it.
2016-8-1
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Flying with floats is like trying to have sex with gumboots on.
2016-8-1
Use props
Rigworker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2016-8-1 23:31
Flying with floats is like trying to have sex with gumboots on.

Gumboots are only appropriate with sheep from what I have read
2016-8-1
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Rigworker Posted at 2016-8-2 15:47
Gumboots are only appropriate with sheep from what I have read

Ah, that only applies to New Zealanders (alledgedly), we may be very fond of our sheep in Australia, but only when converted into lamb cutlets.
2016-8-1
Use props
tiscali
lvl.2
United Kingdom

... and I thought it only applied to Yorkshire - where men are men and sheep are fearful
2016-8-2
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

tiscali Posted at 2016-8-2 18:28
... and I thought it only applied to Yorkshire - where men are men and sheep are fearful

In New Zealand it has to do with sheep in gummies and men with Velcro gloves......
( there goes another hijacked thread)
2016-8-2
Use props
jamiehayman
lvl.1

Canada

MrPinaColada Posted at 2016-8-2 00:11
Chances of that working are very low, the reasoning being that the phantom is very very top heavy. I ...

Yes you are correct, I did not think about the Phantom being top heavy.
Oh well
Thanks for replying
2016-8-2
Use props
mike75
New

United States

I built a float system that works pretty well. Battery doesn't last as long nor does it obviously go as fast, but works pretty well. I dont typically land on water, but this gives me that option in the event I can't make it to shore as I do a lot of filming from a boat.

(Sorry for the jerky filming, my 13 year old doesn't hold the camera very steady)

https://goo.gl/photos/eScD6oFMSLm9WHjy8
2016-10-24
Use props
nicholasward671
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3348051 ft

Geebax Posted at 2016-8-2 17:02
In New Zealand it has to do with sheep in gummies and men with Velcro gloves......
( there goes ano ...

Gum boots and wellies are ok for you boys but I like to kiss em first lol.
2016-10-24
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Jamie,

I don't think I'd put them on my birds and they are ridiculously expensive but here you go.

Jerry

Dronerafts
2016-10-24
Use props
Capt. Wild Bill
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1319180 ft
  • >>>
United States

MrPinaColada Posted at 2016-8-2 00:11
Chances of that working are very low, the reasoning being that the phantom is very very top heavy. I ...

Um....no.
2016-10-25
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

mike75 Posted at 2016-10-24 23:13
I built a float system that works pretty well. Battery doesn't last as long nor does it obviously go ...

Hmm .. what would you rather have when you're flying above water?
a phantom that flies well and gets maximum battery life.
or
a Phantom that can't fly well, has short battery life and has a problem dealing with wind

Unless you intend making water landings, why would you want to handicap the Phantom so much?
If it's because of a concern about safety and a desire to bring the Phantom home again, this is having the opposite effect.
2016-10-25
Use props
mike75
New

United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-10-25 18:52
Hmm .. what would you rather have when you're flying above water?
a phantom that flies well and ge ...

I completely agree with you Labroides, and normal conditions where I took off from land, I wouldn't think of using any sort of flotation device, but for me, the "home" takeoff point is often a speed boat that won't be in the same spot at landing, often miles from nearest shore. Being that the Phantom has a lot of moving parts and electronics, at some point I anticipate an electronic freeze, a radio glitch, or a strange downdraft, or something that forces the drone down. If it sinks, I loose everything. In an emergency I would like the option for the drone to end up in the water without sinking... ideally land with no damage, or at a minimum have enough of the craft stay above water so I could fish it out. At least then I can dry things out and salvaging or replacing parts. I'm completely wide open to suggestions... the contraption I built was out of necessity, and it does work, but if someone has a better idea, please suggest away!
2016-10-28
Use props
skyeyeguy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 68356 ft
  • >>>
United States

mike75 Posted at 2016-10-24 04:13
I built a float system that works pretty well. Battery doesn't last as long nor does it obviously go as fast, but works pretty well. I dont typically land on water, but this gives me that option in the event I can't make it to shore as I do a lot of filming from a boat.

(Sorry for the jerky filming, my 13 year old doesn't hold the camera very steady)

Nice idea ... a great way of recycling water bottles too!

I take it that cross member was aluminum, or was it plastic, glued?
2017-2-17
Use props
skyeyeguy
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

mike75 Posted at 2016-10-28 16:42
I completely agree with you Labroides, and normal conditions where I took off from land, I wouldn't think of using any sort of flotation device, but for me, the "home" takeoff point is often a speed boat that won't be in the same spot at landing, often miles from nearest shore. Being that the Phantom has a lot of moving parts and electronics, at some point I anticipate an electronic freeze, a radio glitch, or a strange downdraft, or something that forces the drone down. If it sinks, I loose everything. In an emergency I would like the option for the drone to end up in the water without sinking... ideally land with no damage, or at a minimum have enough of the craft stay above water so I could fish it out. At least then I can dry things out and salvaging or replacing parts. I'm completely wide open to suggestions... the contraption I built was out of necessity, and it does work, but if someone has a better idea, please suggest away!

This idea of being able to retrieve your bird is even more important now, since DJI 'Care' covers water damage!
2017-2-17
Use props
skyeyeguy
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

mike75 Posted at 2016-10-28 16:42

Could you describe the cross member raw materials and construction? Thanks!
2017-2-17
Use props
Nigelbrinkmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

It's all good to have a idea that may suit your needs, but the flotation device may affect your phantoms vision sensors etc, this could become a problem when trying landing. Just something to consider.
2017-2-17
Use props
sd603
lvl.2
Flight distance : 274465 ft
United States

Strap this on one of the legs.  If you dunk it, at least you get it back.  

GetterBack Rod Recovery System
2017-2-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules