Smart Watch & Compass Calibration
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jrosamond
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28622 ft
United States

Hi all,  

I know we aren't supposed to have a phone too close to the uav during compass calibration, but does anyone know if a smart watch (Apple watch) would cause any problems?  I have only had my p3a for a few days and was wearing my Apple watch during calibration because I didn't think about it being a potential problem until later.  I didn't notice any issues though.
2016-8-4
Use props
skipilot1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1557398 ft

The question is ferrous metals and electro magnetic devices. The question is about eliminating all possible reasons for a bad calibration. Why take a chance? Just do it according to a certain procedure and you can eliminate that question if you have a problem.
2016-8-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

There's metal in the watch, it should definitely come off, and your RC/tablet, phone, keys, and anything else should not be near you. I put the RC/iPad down about 10ft from me then tap calibrate and walk over to the aircraft and use the LED's for conformation.
2016-8-4
Use props
28wins
lvl.3

United States

And @DJI-Ken:

Do you calibrate your compass before each flight or only when you have traveled quite a bit from your last flight and calibration location?
2016-8-4
Use props
ChristoHD
lvl.2
Flight distance : 21818 ft

28wins Posted at 2016-8-5 04:55
And @DJI-Ken:

Do you calibrate your compass before each flight or only when you have traveled quite ...

http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php ... brating_the_Compass

Calibration Procedures
Choose an open area to carry out the following procedures.
1. Ensure that the compass is calibrated. If you did not calibrate the compass as part of your pre-flight preparations, or if you have moved to a new location since the last calibration, tap the Aircraft Status Bar in the app and select “Calibrate”, then follow the on-screen instructions.
2. Hold the aircraft horizontally and rotate 360 degrees. The Aircraft Status Indicators will display a solid green light.
Tips:
Calibrate the compass before each flight. Launch the DJI Pilot app and follow the on-screen instructions to calibrate the compass. DO NOT calibrate the compass near metal objects such as a metal bridge, cars, scaffolding.
When to Recalibrate
1.When compass data is abnormal and the Aircraft Status Indicator is blinking green and yellow.
2.When flying in a new location or in a location that is different from the most recent flight.
3.When the mechanical or physical structure of the Phantom 3 Professional has been changed.
4.When severe drifting occurs in flight, i.e. Phantom 3 Professional does not fly in straight line.

2016-8-4
Use props
JRosy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28622 ft
United States

Thanks for the responses.  I kind of figured it would be a good idea to take it off, but wasn't sure if I was just being an overly cautious noob.
2016-8-4
Use props
OrlyP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 36916 ft
Philippines

Unless your watch have powerful magnets in them OR it's sitting besides the compass sensor in close proximity when you do the calibration, you really don't have take it off.

I have a Pebble Time Steel and have done the compass calibration dozens of times without any issue.

When calibrating, just hold the aircraft with the compass sensor situated as far away from you and just rotate your whole body.
2016-8-4
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

I personally doubt if it would have any affects on the compass calibration, but to be on the safe side, I would suggest you at least use the hand without watch to hold the drone and rotate your body.
2016-8-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules