Walkie Talkie Use while flying phantom?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
etravis_sg
lvl.1
Flight distance : 533140 ft

Philippines

I am assuming this is not possible... tried on a small field today and lost video xmission after the P3A got about 100m away laterally at 20m altitude.

Has anyone been able to use a walkie talkie effectively without interrupting drone ops?
2016-8-5
Use props
OrlyP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 36916 ft
Philippines

I haven't tried it, but you should be able to. Most walkies operates in VHF and/or UHF.

A few things you can try:
1. Keep the walkie away from the RC's proximity
2. Use a wired headset/mic and put the radio on your belt behind you
3. Set the walkie's RF output to low whenever possible
2016-8-5
Use props
ccbiggz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 117697 ft
United States

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking.

Are you trying to talk to someone on a walkie talkie while you are flying and you think the walkie talkie is interfering with the communications to the drone? If that's what you are asking and I'm assuming you are using GMRS radios, those radios operate around 462 MHz. Your drone is using the 2.4 GHz spectrum; very far away from the frequency of the GMRS radio. Anything is possible with RF, but I doubt the interference you are seeing is coming from your walkie talkie.
2016-8-5
Use props
etravis_sg
lvl.1
Flight distance : 533140 ft

Philippines

ccbiggz Posted at 2016-8-5 18:20

Are you trying to talk to someone on a walkie talki ...

Yeah well I think you got it right. My son was piloting today, and i was about 100m away. We both had walkie talkies operating at 470mhz. We were practicing for a photo shoot tomorrow, so i was directing my son via walkie talkie with a lot of chatter sourced by me and rcd by my son. Lsst week we flew with no problems. We didnt have much time to test, but i think maybe the problem was with the 64gb card. We lost transmission when he selected RECORD, so we will change the card so hopefully that will fix the problem.
2016-8-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

etravis_sg@yaho Posted at 2016-8-6 02:11
Yeah well I think you got it right. My son was piloting today, and i was about 100m away. We both  ...

You should not have any interference with your walkie talkies at all.
What mobile device are you using, you shouldn't lose video transmission. Does it still do it with a 32gb card.
2016-8-5
Use props
Desert_eag1e
lvl.1

United States

There shouldn't be any problems with this really, so it should be more of a technical problem or maybe defect/outdated walkie talkie? I use mine for my construction crew to be able to coordinate all the work, and never had a problem. Though, I invested in some good quality walkie talkies that I read about in an article. For you I suggest to try to re-calibrate them to other frequencies, maybe this will help you
2019-10-23
Use props
Desert_eag1e
lvl.1

United States

Good luck to you
2019-10-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Desert_eag1e Posted at 10-23 13:58
There shouldn't be any problems with this really, so it should be more of a technical problem or maybe defect/outdated walkie talkie? I use mine for my construction crew to be able to coordinate all the work, and never had a problem. Though, I invested in some good quality walkie talkies  that I read about in an article. For you I suggest to try to re-calibrate them to other frequencies, maybe this will help you

Why are you replying to a three year old thread? What’s the point?

Are these people even around anymore?

RedHotPoker
2019-10-24
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
United Kingdom

I have VHF , UHF and 2.4Ghz remote mics, Marine band VHF radios as well as Personal long range Walkie Talkies .... none of which interfere with any RC or video I have ... DJI ... or other.

I use various because I have auto tracking camera systems that follow models / people etc. and I need to relay audio when away from the camera. When relatively close I use the remote mics ... but at greater distance I use the walkie talkies ...

2019-10-25
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
United Kingdom

ccbiggz Posted at 2016-8-5 02:20

Are you trying to talk to someone on a walkie talkie while you are flying and you think the walkie talkie is interfering with the communications to the drone? If that's what you are asking and I'm assuming you are using GMRS radios, those radios operate around 462 MHz. Your drone is using the 2.4 GHz spectrum; very far away from the frequency of the GMRS radio. Anything is possible with RF, but I doubt the interference you are seeing is coming from your walkie talkie.

This is true - EXCEPT when an RF signal is boosted with cheap gear or way above norms ... it can then literally swamp anything near.

You get the high strength event happen when passing near some military apparatus that even though is significantly different frequency - your RF receiver just cannot avoid losses.
2019-10-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules