How to deal with direct sun-light ?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Michael89
lvl.3
Flight distance : 336880 ft
Israel

Heloa!

My phots\videos seems to be way off on direct sun-light, they appear to be low on detail, unsharp & weridly over-expose, using filters doesn't change much, what's the secret ?

Here's are some photos some of them shot with an ND8 filter some not, I'm also using D-log filter in camera setting.

http://imgur.com/a/Ma5jy
2016-8-7
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Turn your Phantom around and shoot with the sun rather than into the sun.
And for get the ND filter if you are shooting stills.
2016-8-7
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hello Michael89, to adjust the camera angle and the drone's position would be a good idea. What's more, you can set the ISO to 100, then adjust the shutter speed when necessary.
2016-8-7
Use props
OrlyP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 36916 ft
Philippines

What you actually want to achieve is to darken the sky a bit without darkening the foreground at the same time. The ND8 does that.

What you'll need are graduated filters.
2016-8-7
Use props
Michael89
lvl.3
Israel

I'm using the ND8 filter, that slider on top right of the RC changes the shutter speed right? so how do I control the ISO ?
2016-8-7
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Looks like smog is your main problem.
2016-8-8
Use props
mjlstudios
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you need the photo from that angle, wait till the sun is in a position that will render a better exposure.
2016-8-8
Use props
imagesbyjas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 286198 ft

Michael89 Posted at 2016-8-8 15:51
I'm using the ND8 filter, that slider on top right of the RC changes the shutter speed right? so how ...

Push the button one time to switch to ISO.. the right button is "clickable".  

Also looks like a lot of haze as well.. Try an ND/PL (polarizing) filter..  Makes a difference..
2016-8-8
Use props
Michael89
lvl.3
Israel

I've got the PL ND4 & ND8 filters, unfortunately they're all push on filters so I can only use one at a time, my main issue is while I fly, I can't see my screen very clearly so it's hard to adjust everything, I'm using an ipad mini 4 and it not that great under sun or even under shade, I've used the ND8 because it's really bright sun here during the summer, I'll try and play more with the shutter & ISO, I just thought putting the ND8 filter will eliminate most of the sun reflection so you can see the sky more clearly,  maybe my filters suck, the ones I have are cheaper unlike the polar-pro.
2016-8-8
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Michael89 Posted at 2016-8-8 23:47
I've got the PL ND4 & ND8 filters, unfortunately they're all push on filters so I can only use one a ...

An ND filter will darken the whole frame uniformly and won't do anything to address the issue of having bright sun and darker foreground in your composition.
2016-8-8
Use props
Michael89
lvl.3

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-8-9 04:46
An ND filter will darken the whole frame uniformly and won't do anything to address the issue of h ...

So I tried the PL filter today, the image seems to be clearer but the sun are still very bright, I see videos where everything is visible and clear how do they achieve it ?
2016-8-9
Use props
michaelfinney_h
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hi Michael89 Your problem is haze due to humidity. Not much you can do about that. A polarizing filter will help a bit. You will get better results when there is some wind to dispurse the haze. Try early morning or late afternoon filming. Don't know your location regarding atmospherics. Get a humidity meter to give you an idea of when to get the best results.
Have a look at this

And this.

Hope it helps.

2016-8-9
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Michael89 Posted at 2016-8-10 00:31
So I tried the PL filter today, the image seems to be clearer but the sun are still very bright, I ...

It's simple ... they shoot with the sun rather than looking into it.
The Phantom's camera (like most cameras) can't handle the big difference in contrast between the bright sun and the darker foreground detail.
2016-8-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules