P3S range
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kenbaileyphotog
lvl.1

Today I got brave and decided to take off my distance limiter on the P3 Standard, I was able to get a distance of 740m/2375ft at an altitude of about 220ft, is that a Nirmal range or is it above/below average? Also I live in a fairly wooded area and had 40-60ft trees about 100ft in front of my line of sight.

I appreciate and look forward to your free back.
2016-8-8
Use props
MrPinaColada
lvl.4
Flight distance : 790082 ft
United States

About average, many people get less than that, but some people get more than that
2016-8-8
Use props
kenbaileyphotog
lvl.1

Alright thanks also I forgot to add that I didn't lose connection with the drone, but I started getting low video reception warnings, so I brought it back.
2016-8-8
Use props
djordan2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 79291 ft
United States

kenbaileyphotog Posted at 2016-8-8 23:46
Alright thanks  also I forgot to add that I didn't lose connection with the drone, but I st ...

You got that far with a Standard???  Holy Cow!  Is that right out of the box?  What is the firmware on the RC?
2016-8-8
Use props
kenbaileyphotog
lvl.1

I'm not sure what the current firmware is, I updated it last month. Yeah, no boosters or attachments, and the only reason I cut the flight short was because it said I was about to lose video,but it never actually cut out.
2016-8-8
Use props
GTDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2197703 ft
Guatemala

I was a phantom 3 standard owner but i decide to update to the phantom 3 pro , because of the range , you are getting the average range  , and you are lucky because you can use FCC , here in my country i use CE mode and with the standard i was able to reach 300 meters or less , sometimes 500 meters

the standard is an amazing quad , the only thing that i didnt like is the range . i did some modifications to the controller if you want to take a look here is the link   http://forum.dji.com/thread-41425-1-1.html
2016-8-8
Use props
kenbaileyphotog
lvl.1

That's impressive range.  I've been thinking about getting the ARGtech booster, but since I'm still a beginner I think I sold stick to control and accurate flight till I get better. I've only flown a handful of times, and only once away from home.
2016-8-8
Use props
na5n
lvl.4
United States

I've flown my P3S out to about 3000 ft. to get across a river to photograph an ancient Indian pueblo site on the other side.  It actually surprised me when the pueblo came into FPV view that far away.  Still good control and video.  I've never tried a maximum range flight yet, but feel I could probably have gone a bit farther (but would have taken the rest of the day hiking back there if it went down!).  Bought my P3S in Feb. 2016 and applied only the update called for when I took it out of the box.  No updates since - no mods.  I'm also flying in the deserts of New Mexico with usually nobody around, not even cell phone coverage most places, few obstructions, fewer trees, and I'm sure the dry climate attenuates the 2.4/5.8 GHz signals less to allow the 3000+ ft. range.  Like you, I am baffled why so many get such lousy range unless it's just due to flying in urban areas with so many obstructions, electromagnetic interference, and who can guess what the wireless spectrum looks like.  Or, maybe kudos to the DJI fella who put mine together!

My best wishes and good flying to all.

2016-8-8
Use props
wmcvey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

That's about an average for me, at 740m. I get anywhere between 500 and 1000m, just depends on where I'm at that day. No ant mods, but a windsurfer.
2016-8-8
Use props
bob37
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260384 ft
United States

Our area is very wooded, so this parking lot is open and I take my P3A straight up to 250 to 300 feet and then venture out.  I often fly from the same launch site and have gone 3000 feet without problems.  The other day, I was less than 1000 feet when I lost video – then lost communication.  The RTH kicked in (to my delight) and my bird came home.  I tried in a different direction and the same thing happened.  I noticed in the video from the flight that the air was hazy with humidity, not the crystal clear I usually wait for.  I am convinced that that hurt my range.  (Gotta LOVE the RTH feature!)
2016-8-8
Use props
kenbaileyphotog
lvl.1

Just set a new personal record on distance, 3840ft!
2016-8-9
Use props
wmichaels1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 694728 ft
  • >>>
United States

kenbaileyphotog Posted at 2016-8-9 12:26
Just set a new personal record on distance, 3840ft!

Guess I'm lucky.  I've had my P3S out over 3800 ft stock, and nearly a mile with a simple windsurfer mod.  I'd go farther, but I'm near class D airspace when I go out that far, and I really don't see the need.
2016-8-9
Use props
kenbaileyphotog
lvl.1

Just for fun really, I can't say I'll honestly need to fly that far for anything, but it's neat to know I can.
2016-8-9
Use props
simondobbins
lvl.2
Flight distance : 204610 ft
United Kingdom

Above average, 500m or less is the normal for non lightbridge units
2016-8-9
Use props
asarpyilmaz
New
Flight distance : 25203 ft
Turkey

Hello, I was a phantom 3 standard until two days ago. I started to filght in 15-20m altitute and 50m radius suddenly "signal lost" error occured and not be controlled any more. Moreover it went on flying and drifted by wind to seaward and fall down into the sea. Within this period I tried to "return home" function and manually tried to turn back but  I could not because its totally out of control and not conform the my commands. Also it had to be turn back when signal lost instead landing where it is.

I could not understand why and what happend. I think its firmware issue because all updated lastest versions of app and firmware after that this issue occured. And I quoted this from DJI forums:

" if you have a drone that reduced range after updating to 1.6.8 then it will be fixed by next firmware.. which means v1.7.84 , now we have the beta testing and for now its working great it has fixed the P3S range issue.. "

I didnt have any fight data because of P3S sunk. I dont know how to I prove its not my fault and compensate my loss. 13876453_10153985363278515_3919965140771918865_n.jpg

This photo was taken where P3S take off and around the small island into the sea where its fall down and sunk. Its unbelievable.

13995428_547615378773805_8149197086351760639_o.jpg
Its a sample of that issue.

2016-8-9
Use props
levesquej
lvl.1
Canada

With stock firmware and out of the box, i get 1800 to 2000 km. I added a windsurfer and i got a personnal record of 3,3km, but i still had control on it. So i can go farther! I'm satisfied!!
2016-8-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules