Another out of focus Phantom 4 camera.
1559 8 2016-8-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dgriffnz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 170988 ft
New Zealand

check out my Shaky Bridge video on my You Tube channel (http://www.youtube.com/dgriffnz).
It clearly shows what seems to be an all too common fault with the Phantom cameras - out of focus, blurry sections from the lens.
If you watch the video in 1080p @ 0:50 you can see the chain link fence clearly at both ends of the bridge...however, the centre of the bridge is out of focus and shows no detail at all.

Settings:

Nd8 polar pro
Dlog uhd 30fps -2-1-1
Air temp 04c
Slight sharpening post production with Sony Vegas Pro that failed to bring in more definition.

The filter and lens are spotlessly clean. I will recheck and ensure the nd8 is on as tight as I dare in case it had worked itself loose, but reading these forums I think there is enough evidence that this is now becoming a common DJI issue.

2016-8-11
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

dgriffnz, what's the correct environment temperature when you use the camera?
2016-8-11
Use props
dgriffnz
lvl.3
New Zealand

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-8-12 12:17
dgriffnz, what's the correct environment temperature when you use the camera?

Sorry, I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. As stated, the temperature when this video was shot was about four degrees centigrade (celsius).
2016-8-11
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

dgriffnz Posted at 2016-8-12 13:54
Sorry, I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. As stated, the temperature when this video was sh ...

Try it in a warmer environment.Cold weather will influence the performance of the lens.
2016-8-11
Use props
dgriffnz
lvl.3
New Zealand

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-8-12 14:10
Try it in a warmer environment.Cold weather will influence the performance of the lens.

I'm on the South Island of New Zealand, in Central Otago. There is no warmer climate for about six weeks, mate. 4c is above the recommended guidelines for the Phantom, is it not? What are you saying...I have to put my Phantom 4 away for 4 - 5 months of the year?!
2016-8-11
Use props
DrawsWithLight.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2136716 ft
United Kingdom

Can you upload a DNG shot. My first P3A had a dodgy lens, I assume from your profile pic you have a 4?
2016-8-12
Use props
dgriffnz
lvl.3
New Zealand

DrawsWithLight. Posted at 2016-8-12 16:53
Can you upload a DNG shot. My first P3A had a dodgy lens, I assume from your profile pic you have a  ...

I was only shooting with .jpg...I'll do some RAW tests tomorrow. I do have a .jpg I took before I recorded the video...it shows the same blur around the centre of the image.
2016-8-12
Use props
rfAndy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 396365 ft
United States

I know this is an old thread but I recently noticed same problem with my P4.  I went back to old photos and saw it was there from beginning.  CLEARLY a defective camera and/or lens.  Since I didn't notice and report it until after warranty expired - even though I have proof that it existed when new - DJI doesn't want to hear about it.  While the warranty is expired, they could repair out of good will as this must be a known issue.  Crickets from DJI.     You can clearly see the left edge is fine while the entire center is blurred.  Look at dirt on baseball diamond and grass.
2018-3-30
Use props
CentralOtagoKiwi
lvl.3
New Zealand

rfAndy Posted at 2018-3-30 10:27
I know this is an old thread but I recently noticed same problem with my P4.  I went back to old photos and saw it was there from beginning.  CLEARLY a defective camera and/or lens.  Since I didn't notice and report it until after warranty expired - even though I have proof that it existed when new - DJI doesn't want to hear about it.  While the warranty is expired, they could repair out of good will as this must be a known issue.  Crickets from DJI.   [view_image]  You can clearly see the left edge is fine while the entire center is blurred.  Look at dirt on baseball diamond and grass.

How did this turn out for you? The local dealer in NZ replaced the whole camera unit for me and the replacement was 100% sharp.

Then I sold the Phantom...my biggest regret. I'm back here now as I've just purchased a Mavic Air 2.
2020-6-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules