Purchased a new Phantom 4 - After 2 repairs, still have not flown!
1344 12 2016-8-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dcplus14
New

United States

I really am looking for a mechanism to raise my issue higher than the chain it has gone through so far, else I will go the legal route.

A few months ago, yes months, I purchased a Brand new Phantom 4. Due to area restrictions and me being a new pilot, I had a challenge finding time to fly and finding a location to fly. Eventually I found a spot and powered up my drone and was thinking I would start my first flight.

Drone 1 Issue: Well, I had status errors reporting "GPS Disconnected" etc. etc. And never could get past that state. Because it took me a few weeks to attempt my first flight, I was outside the refund/return policy window.

I called up and explained the issue to DJI and after a while on the phone, they stated they would put a rush-repair on it and return it to me in 7 days to get my first flight.

10 days laters, I received a drone from them. I had noticed it was not the same drone as I sent back, new shell, new system part number than Drone 1 (via DJI app reporting), etc.

Drone 2.0 Issue(s): Well while the GPS issue was gone, there ended up being 2 major issues. First: This drone would not allow a micro SD card to latch at all. I tried various cards, and nothing would latch. That was my first trigger to realize they replaced the whole drone. Second, DJI Assistant 2 would recognize the drone but not the firmware. Thus there was no mechanism via the computer to check and/or update the firmware on this drone. I believe they sent me a developmental version with a '-' at the end. Also, all the 'new drone' stickers were added to the drone, and my FAA sticker was gone. Eventually they admitted to replacing the whole drone.

Attempted to contact DJI via e-mail again, 3 days in a row, and for 3 days they didn't respond at all to me. I called them directly, they apologized, again, and would rush repair again. I sent it back and about 10 days later (today) I receive the repaired drone. I asked them what they repaired, tehy said they would e-mail me, but have not yet. Inside states they replaced the camera. This concerned me as to I do not see the relevance of replacing the camera to fix the issues.

Drone 2.1 Issue(s): Well first thing I test is the memory card, because without that latching, this drone is useless. Yep, didn't latch, at all. The repair didn't happen so it seems, and they just sent me back my old drone. The ID code is the same as Drone 2.0, the firmware has the '-' removed.

I have yet to fly my drone once since I purchased it. I have spent money to box and package this, and time to ship it out. Many events have come and gone in which I could have used the drone and can't.

If I cannot get the right mechanism to properly resolve this, I will need to go to the proper consumer reporting agencies. Any suggestions from you all on the forum?

Note: It seems going back, at least, to Phantom 3, there have been SD card latching issues then too.
2016-8-11
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Sorry for your experience,dcplus14. Could you please provide me with your RMA numbers, please?
2016-8-11
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

It sounds like you've had a run of bad luck there.
The latching issue you mention is reported very rarely for the P3 or P4.
I've hardly seen any.
2016-8-11
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-8-12 14:46
It sounds like you've had a run of bad luck there.
The latching issue you mention is reported very r ...

I guess I was just one of the "lucky ones"  

The latch on mine gave out on the 2nd flight.  P3A.   I use a work around.
2016-8-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

I am very sorry about your experience, what is your RMA number and I'd like to look into it ?
2016-8-12
Use props
dcplus14
New

United States

DJI-Paladin and DJI-Ken:

After purchasing the new drone, the first RMA I received was this:
0715201619474319165ESC

Once I received the drone back from that repair and observed the new drone controller card/body and the issues it had with it (Odd firmware, SD card not latching), they sent me this RMA for the 2nd return:
0801201675319329511ESC

I have yet to receive a 3rd RMA for trying to resolve the same issue from last time (SD Card not latching). I have lost all confidence it will be fixed. I should effectively have a brand new Phantom 4 as I never once have been able to fly my Phantom 4.

2016-8-12
Use props
Bennyboy1983
lvl.3
Flight distance : 141089 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What DJI do is send out faulty units without looking as they are trying to squeeze every penny out of us!, they are a sligh company and if it wasn't the fact they are market leaders I'm sure they would be different but as they are they are power mad!, screw everyone but there selfs.

I've seen this sending out completely different units complete with new faults too many times.

Maybe if person a,b,c,d sends in their drone for repair they draw out of hat who to send them straight back too. Ha

Glad my p4 was the first non rushed release and touch wood I've not had one issue. Nobody has had their grubby hands on mine before me luckily.
2016-8-12
Use props
The Roach
lvl.3
Flight distance : 412835 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is concerning and a point I considered when comparing 'that other manufacture' with DJI.  I did notice that DJI service received poor marks where the other guys received very high service marks.  I'm thinking of buying an Inspire V2 to compliment my P4 but after reading this I might reconsider.  The fact you received broken hardware as a replacement means there are serious QA issues in the repair department.  This isn't the first I've heard on the matter.  No quicker way to kill an industry leader than with poor service. There is obviously no procedure to check each and every part of a Phantom before returning to a customer.  I hope DJI will address the QA issues with their service department; I would hate to see a company with this great product die due to service issues.  
2016-8-19
Use props
smstagar15
lvl.2

United States

I have seriously considered selling this and getting another brand! I have 20 flights and see it as a ticking time bomb and thats no way to live...
2016-8-19
Use props
Blawes
New
Flight distance : 4931 ft
United States

smstagar15 Posted at 2016-8-19 18:35
I have seriously considered selling this and getting another brand! I have 20 flights and see it as  ...

I had a terrible experience with support as well. The left hand doesn't know what the right is doing. I think I spoke with every tech person in the company duplicating over and over different fixes. Sending videos and pix. What a joke.
Finally insisted that I receive a refund. My reason was I just can't deal with such incompetence.
Then you wait forever for the refund.  I guess I was one of the lucky ones.
2016-8-27
Use props
killerkustums
lvl.1

United States

Please keep us posted.  I'm having P4 issues also but I'm hoping they are tablet issues.
2016-8-27
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

killerkustums Posted at 2016-8-28 10:43
Please keep us posted.  I'm having P4 issues also but I'm hoping they are tablet issues.

Hi, the customer was issued a  RMA.     What tablet are you using?
2016-8-27
Use props
st pauli
lvl.4

United States

Sorry you have these troubles with DJI support as well. Plenty of users with mfg defects and service dept problems.
2016-8-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules