Issues with ND filter
3910 36 2016-8-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
scotto163
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I have the Ultimax 7pc filter kit for the phantom 4 and when I attach the ND2-400 variable filter to my p4's camera I find that the gimbal cannot support the weight. The camera will not lift right up to level and if I try to fly with it on the camera shakes really badly. I was about to buy the nd8, 16 and 32 filters but am worried the same thing will happen or that there is something wrong with my gimbal. I'm fairly new to all of this so any help would be greatly appreciated!

2016-8-13
Use props
matt18turbo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 75141 ft
United States

I have the DJI filters and have no trouble with the gimbal FWIW.
2016-8-13
Use props
MAD35
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4387201 ft
Australia

I have the ND4, 8, 16 filters and they are fine.
2016-8-13
Use props
Ladislav
lvl.2
Flight distance : 414964 ft
Germany

I am using Polarpro filters 4,8,16 and they are ok
2016-8-13
Use props
nigelbrinkmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

Dose it play up with the standard dji lense?
2016-8-13
Use props
jamesazen
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15262 ft

plenty of info out there about the P4 gimbal not being able to take the weight, (9 grams)
One reviewer claimed it worked ok after unscrewing the DJI uv filter. removing the rubber gasket and lens, putting just the metal ring back on, then adding the variable ND filter..

Hope that works out for you, otherwise make sure the manufacturer recommends the product for the P4 before buying another

the polar pro and DJI lenses work fine, theyre just not variable
2016-8-13
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I thought the whole idea was to remove the existing UV filter and replace it with the ND filter. Leaving the existing filter ring on would only add unwanted weight.
2016-8-13
Use props
jamesazen
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15262 ft

Aardvark Posted at 2016-8-13 23:59
I thought the whole idea was to remove the existing UV filter and replace it with the ND filter. Lea ...

Apparently, those variable ND filters are slip on... I only know that I didn't buy one because I'd read that review = no first hand knowledge
2016-8-13
Use props
scotto163
lvl.1

United Kingdom

nigelbrinkmann Posted at 2016-8-13 14:19

It came in a pack with a UV filter and a CPL included, they are both much lighter and work fine just as it does without filters. I was just concerned as the variable ND filter has phantom 4 written on the side so I assumed it shouldn't have any problem but I guess its just too heavy.
2016-8-13
Use props
scotto163
lvl.1

United Kingdom

jamesazen Posted at 2016-8-13 15:11
plenty of info out there about the P4 gimbal not being able to take the weight, (9 grams)
One revie ...

Thanks alot, I'll invest in a set of those, it sounds like the problem is with the cheap variable filter rather than something wrong with the gimbal so I'm feeling alot happier!
2016-8-13
Use props
sergeant
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

nigelbrinkmann Posted at 2016-8-13 14:19

No not at all, check this out, it demonstrates the DJI lens on a P3:

2016-8-17
Use props
tiansimpson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 593120 ft

jamesazen Posted at 2016-8-13 22:11
One revie ...

I have a Snake River Prototype Graduated ND filter. I had issues with it and I was going to sell it. However yesterday I tried unscrewing the stock lens cover and putting the filter straight on top of the inner lens and it worked fine.
2016-8-17
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

tiansimpson Posted at 2016-8-17 12:31
I have a Snake River Prototype Graduated ND filter. I had issues with it and I was going to sell i ...

Did you swap the existing UV filter glass for the ND filter glass ?
2016-8-17
Use props
tiansimpson
lvl.4

Aardvark Posted at 2016-8-17 20:01
Did you swap the existing UV filter glass for the ND filter glass ?

I unscrewed the uv cover and slid the ND filter on in its place. Sorry if I didn't explain it properly
2016-8-17
Use props
mjlstudios
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have the same ND2-400 filter I use on my P3P with no problems at all. You may have a faulty gimble.
2016-8-17
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

I use the Polar Pro ND8 all the time;for me, it replaced the UV filter, and I do not want to keep putting it on/off, so I had to get their gimbal holder:
PP Gimbal holder
I do not think anyone makes the same DJI P4 gimbal holder to fit the PP filters?

But because this does not offer protection from below, and I carry the P4 in a backpack, I also use this when I carry the P4 (Make sure you take it off before you fly):
Gimbal Guard

2016-8-17
Use props
scotto163
lvl.1

United Kingdom

tiansimpson Posted at 2016-8-17 13:27
I unscrewed the uv cover and slid the ND filter on in its place. Sorry if I didn't explain it prop ...

I've tried unscrewing the default UV from the phantom and then adding the ND but it just wont stay on. I ordered some polar pro filter which I think should work fine as this ND 2-400 variable by Ultimax seems to be the only thing that my gimbal cant lift, the other Poleriser and UV from the same kit both work fine but are noticably lighter..
2016-8-18
Use props
scotto163
lvl.1

United Kingdom

MD_Icarus Posted at 2016-8-17 14:00
I use the Polar Pro ND8 all the time;for me, it replaced the UV filter, and I do not want to keep pu ...

Still waiting on my polar pro filters which I think should be fine, not sure about a gimbal protector but I'm hoping the lense cap I got with the other ultimax filters will fit over the poler pro ones too.
2016-8-18
Use props
tiansimpson
lvl.4

scotto163 Posted at 2016-8-18 18:12
I've tried unscrewing the default UV from the phantom and then adding the ND but it just wont stay ...

perhaps my Snake River Prototype is a slightly different design. One thing I have never tried though is putting on the filter in the usual way without removing anything and then calibrating the gimbal, I'm wondering f that would make any difference.
2016-8-18
Use props
flaviomjr
lvl.4
Canada

Scotto, the reason why that is happening is because the ND filter is probably too heavy, I would suggest using Polarpro lens,  they will work perfectly without any issues.   My suggestion is to not use the ND2-400 because you will end up burning our gimbal.
2016-8-18
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430686 ft

I bought the Taco filter because they were very light. I figured that DJI balances the gimbal very carefully and adding just any filter without taking weight into account could stress the gimbal motor or throw it off balance.
2016-8-18
Use props
scotto163
lvl.1

United Kingdom

flaviomjr@vtolx Posted at 2016-8-18 15:30
Scotto, the reason why that is happening is because the ND filter is probably too heavy, I would sug ...

I have ordered a set of polar pro filters after reading all the helpful comments here, they are due today but so is the rain! aarrgghh! Anyway thanks for the reply, good advice!
2016-8-19
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

I WAS using Polar Pro Vivid ND filters, which include a variable circular polarizer.  These were recommended for the P4 by PolarPro.  However, they are too heavy for the gimbal and cause it to sag when lifting off or stopping forward flight.  So I bought the PolarPro ND filters (no circular polarizer) which are quite a bit lighter.  They seem to work perfectly with the gimbal.  Just be sure to also buy the Polar Pro gimbal lock since your DJI gimbal lock doesn't work with the thicker ND filter.
2016-8-19
Use props
flaviomjr
lvl.4
Canada

scotto163 Posted at 2016-8-19 19:22
I have ordered a set of polar pro filters after reading all the helpful comments here, they are du ...

Sorry for the late reply,  I am sure you will be very happy with them.   Don't forget to post us some of your results with the forum.
2016-9-5
Use props
mart.kask
lvl.3
Flight distance : 516237 ft

Well dont know how did you get those slip on variable nd filters, but i got the cheapest one on ebay, its a screw on and works really good.
2016-9-5
Use props
mart.kask
lvl.3
Flight distance : 516237 ft

This one here should work
2016-9-5
Use props
Mafia16
First Officer
Flight distance : 26490948 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

i have the same problem with polarpor ND filters on the P4, the camera shakes and says gimbal end roll reach
2016-9-6
Use props
PartsGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 418346 ft
United States

I know it might be a stupid question but do you have the gimbal mode set to follow?
2016-9-7
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

PartsGuy Posted at 2016-9-8 06:22
I know it might be a stupid question but do you have the gimbal mode set to follow?

You would find that in the gimbal section of the DJI Go app. You can also set either C1 or C2 to switch between the two gimbal modes.
2016-9-7
Use props
rallred48
lvl.2
United States

Yes I have the same problem as the guy who started this thread my camera will not support the weight of that one Lens
2016-9-8
Use props
scotto163
lvl.1

United Kingdom

rallred48@gmail Posted at 2016-9-8 12:17
Yes I have the same problem as the guy who started this thread my camera will not support the weight ...

So far I have had no problems with the polar pro filters, I think that filter we had trouble with is just no good. I'm having altitude problems now instead lol.. One thing after another
2016-9-11
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have the DJI ND 4,8 & 16. What I found helps was just the tiniest amount of petroleum jelly on the threads eases the threading of the filters to the camera, a delicate job at the best of times.
2016-9-11
Use props
gmccurdy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft

I have some Polar Pro filters I picked up on sale and they were of the push-on variety and quite large overall.  Might be old stock out of Best Buy.

All Polar Pro filters I've bought since, and direct too, have been smaller and the screw-on types like the stock DJI one.  Maybe they've changed their design somewhere in the past year or so?

Also, I have trying to find a Snake River Prototyping ND8/16 with no luck.  Out of stock everywhere.  SRP responded a couple of days ago with an email saying "They didn't know when they would be back in stock."  Could be it was also a push-on type and too heavy for the gimbal (Mentioned above.).  Maybe they are going to redesign it as did Polar Pro?  Dunno.  Seems a great idea though and I could even use a ND16/32 as well.
2016-9-11
Use props
PolarPro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 315682 ft
  • >>>
United States

gmccurdy@att.ne Posted at 2016-9-11 09:46
I have some Polar Pro filters I picked up on sale and they were of the push-on variety and quite lar ...

BestBuy does have our larger universal filters in stock, they are pretty good and mostly geared for the Phantom 3 that does accept threaded filters. The threaded filters (which you purchased direct from us, and thank you for supporting our brand) are geared for the Phantom 4 and P3P cameras.

GND in development*

-Jeff
2016-9-15
Use props
rallred48
lvl.2
United States

I had the same problem The Lens is to Heavy the camera bounces up and down. Is your a slip on?
2016-9-22
Use props
alex.wright1992
lvl.2

United Kingdom

PolarPro Posted at 2016-9-15 22:12
BestBuy does have our larger universal filters in stock, they are pretty good and mostly geared fo ...

Hello,
i have the Polarpro circular polarising filter.
once fitted to the gimbal the lens rotates as if to adjust the setting.
is this why it rotates? i see no difference through the camera when i rotate it  
2016-9-22
Use props
PolarPro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 315682 ft
  • >>>

alex.wright1992 Posted at 2016-9-22 21:21
Hello,
i have the Polarpro circular polarising filter.
once fitted to the gimbal the lens rotates  ...

Hi Alex,

When you rotate the outer ring of the polarizer it is setting the polarization angle, you will want to set the polarization angle as shown in this video in this post: https://press.polarprofilters.com/drone-polarizer-filters/

Let me know if you have any other questions!
-Jeff
2016-9-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules