Quadcopter noob, couple of questions.
1004 12 2016-8-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
colnemac
lvl.2

Hi,
I'm a total noob to quadcopters, but used to fly planes a lot, and dabbled with nitro and electric heli's. Have my fixed wing bmfa B and have flown a few displays in my time, but that was around ten years ago now. Anyway, I digress... Always been interested in aerial photography but an old action cam taped to a ic plane in the early noughties just didn't cut it lol.
Wanting to add a different perspective to my bike films as ride a lot off road with the gopro, and fancy the idea of going to the third dimension so to speak.
Bought myself a Phantom 3 standard, and gingerly taken my first couple of flights. My first impressions are good, obviously it's so easy to do the basics with the gps system, however, it does seem to have an annoying glitch occuring, not in the video feed, a twitch, more often than not in the roll channel. Bear in mind i've only been through two battery charges so less than an hour in the air, but probably had around 10 or so glitches, all close to home. Not flying anywhere near power lines, cellular masts etc. I was prompted to update the firmware so did that, didn't take the half hour most folk say, more like just 5 or ten minutes.
Does the 'standard' version update the drone, remote, and battery all in one go, unlike the adv and pro version?
Calibrated compass before flight, walking around in a circle with the phantom over a fixed point, not twisting it around me while stood in in one place like some people do.
Can't say I've seen any glitches in the many videos I've watched? Still in beginner mode till I get used to using the app, and my flying fingers back.
Other question, I see that in the dji go app, people have the small map in the lower left corner. How do you get it so that this shows your satellite view, as because the phone is connected to the phantoms wifi, it can't also receive data from 4G signal?
Many thanks, and sorry for the long intro..

Graham
Yorkshire / Lancashire border, England, UK
2016-8-15
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

"mall map in the lower left corner. How do you get it so that this shows your satellite view, as because the phone is connected to the phantoms wifi, it can't also receive data from 4G signal?"

You can cache the maps at home over wifi and they'll be available when you go to fly.
2016-8-15
Use props
colnemac
lvl.2

Ah, didn't realise that, hence the question. Will have a read up on it, thanks.
2016-8-15
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

colnemac Posted at 2016-8-16 09:59
Ah, didn't realise that, hence the question. Will have a read up on it, thanks.

Just open the app and the map window when you have wifi or mobile data, find the area you are interested in and pan around to show the area at the detail level you want and that's it.
You've now cached the map so it will show up when you fly there.
2016-8-15
Use props
colnemac
lvl.2

Thank you, I presume you have to have connected to the phantom first so you can get into that part of the app, then switch to local wifi, or am I missing something?
Sorry if I'm being a bit thick lol, it's all new to me, cheers.
2016-8-15
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

colnemac Posted at 2016-8-16 10:16
Thank you, I presume you have to have connected to the phantom first so you can get into that part o ...

No need to connect the Phantom.
All you need is the phone or tablet with the app.
2016-8-15
Use props
bigglyguy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14196 ft
Malaysia

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-8-16 08:20
No need to connect the Phantom.
All you need is the phone or tablet with the app.

I'm waiting for my P3S to arrive on Thursday and I don't seem to be able to do much at all with the app?

How to get to the map on the app? I have been trying to find it if only to see if there are any geo fences around here?

Thanks
2016-8-16
Use props
colnemac
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I thought for some reason I couldn't get into it without it being connected, I was wrong lol.
Just select your DJI model by swiping left and right, then pick correct model, and just press the CAMERA button. If you do this while you have wifi or data on, the map in the bottom left will show your current location and satellite view, scroll around and it will store that area for viewing while connected to the aircraft later.
2016-8-16
Use props
Viridis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2383556 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You can check geo fences here too
http://www.dji.com/mobile/flysafe/geo-system/unlock

Unfortunately most of the app needs the controller to be connected. So before connecting to the Phantom, connect to controller. Then download your maps of the area you will be flying in, then when done you won't have to worry about connectivity to download whilst flying.
2016-8-16
Use props
bigglyguy
lvl.3
Malaysia

colnemac Posted at 2016-8-16 18:51
I thought for some reason I couldn't get into it without it being connected, I was wrong lol.
Just s ...

"Camera button"? I see no camera button?
I just have "How to connect" and following that at the very end it says "Enter camera view. Go back to the equipment page. You should now be able to enter camera view".

Looks like it does indeed need a working quad next to it before you're allowed to see a map.
2016-8-16
Use props
colnemac
lvl.2

I had a mess about with it tonight, with a different tablet rather than my phone. With the phone, that's previously been connected to the drone, I can go into the app, and there is a long blue button marked camera. With the tablet I'd not connected before, there was just the long grey 'connect' button where the 'camera' button would be. Seems that once it's been connected you can then go into the app and press 'camera' without having to connect to the drone. I went back to the phone with the drone off, switched my cell data on and it did indeed download the local map data, then turned wifi back on and connected to the drone and flew.
Still getting the glitches though, different location tonight, calibrated compass again too. And actually remembered to switch the camera on this time! :-)
2016-8-16
Use props
bigglyguy
lvl.3
Malaysia

OK, that makes sense I guess.

What are the glitches you're getting? You mean on the recorded footage?
2016-8-17
Use props
colnemac
lvl.2

Hi, sorry for the delay replying. The glitches are in the controls, sometimes twitches massively sideways, only for a split second but makes a beginner jump a tad lol.
Getting a bit more experience now, some flights it happens, some not. Just weird. Maybe it's when the quad is between me and a distant interference source? Trying to pick my flying spots carefully at the moment, away from powerlines, wind turbines and phone masts etc.
2016-8-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules