1614 6 2016-8-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sharif0
lvl.2
Flight distance : 621312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've been messing around with the X5 camera.  I can see why so many people initially hate this camera.  If you try using in with out of the box settings, you will be disaapointed. I am not quite ready to say the image quality is drastically better than the X3 for the type of work I need it for but I think it's getting closer. One thing I really like is the different lens options. I am using the Olympus 12mm 2.0 and the tighter field of view makes it appear that I am much closer to objects that I am actually am.  Towards the end of the video, I am circling around the Westin hotel in downtown Atlanta. Using a second visual observer at all times, I am at least 50 meters away from the building but the images appear much closer.  It's a nice way to get close to your subjects without getting too close to them.
Settings:

Manual everything: ISO, Shutter, Aperature, Focus (this is a must)Cinema (16:9) 4K/30FPS
WB: Manual...adjusted to the conditions before the flight
Focus: Manually turn the focus ring to infinity and leave the sliding collar open (this will prevent you from accidentially autofocusing with the ap)
Aperature: f5.6
ISO 800 for some clips...1600 for others

I messed up and left my 3 stop ND filter on the lens so the images would have been sharper without it.  I would prefer to run at the lowest ISO possible and images appear sharpest at around f9 on this lens.  I can see some softness around the edges which I hope will go away when I stop the lens down a bit more.
Conditions: This was about 30 minutues before sunset....final clip was just after the official sunset but still some light left.  That last clip was shot at ISO1600

I didn't spend a lot of timing editing or grading the footage.  Just some basic sharpening, and levels.  I do this mostly as a hobby.

2016-8-16
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

The X5 definitely is a system that requires some tinkering with the settings to get the most optimal shots. It's great sample footage, thank you for sharing.
2016-8-17
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Do you think it would be drastically different if I set the Camera to Auto focus setting but use the Manual Focus setting on the Go app and then set the focus to Infinity.  Then keep a low ISO of 100 or 200 and then is the shutter  (?) at double that  approximately - like 1 400th .

Obviously I dont know all the nuances and am much better pilot than Cameraman.  

I love evening and morning video's the lighting is just magic then.  I purchased my X5 yesterdsay and awoke before the sun came up to get some nice shots.  I am learning, Do you have any basic tips for the  X5.

Thanks, sorry to ask such novice questions

donnie
2016-8-21
Use props
sharif0
lvl.2
Flight distance : 621312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-8-21 14:13
Do you think it would be drastically different if I set the Camera to Auto focus setting but use the ...

I have tried to get the auto focus/calibration process to well for me and have not had any success.  Perhaps others have.  I didn't investigate it further because I found that manual focus set to infinity works perfectly well for me.  Running a small aperture will maximum your depth of field.  If you shoot a lot of close up work with your X5, then you will want to calibrate and figure out the auto focus.  

The other challenge with using auto focus of manual focus via the ap...is that I find it very difficult to determine focus using the 720P feed.  It's just not sharp enough for me to figure out if something is truly in focus....LOL.

2016-8-22
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

sharif0 Posted at 2016-8-22 18:40
I have tried to get the auto focus/calibration process to well for me and have not had any success ...

Thank you for commenting, much appreciated,

donnie
2016-8-23
Use props
SteadyWTF
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3963865 ft
  • >>>
United States

I live in Atlanta as well.  Unfortunately I have to put in a COA to go down town and do this the of work nowadays so I don't shoot downtown unless I have a gig..   However, this look great!  One thing I'm wondering is about the Inspire 1.  Have you found it to be stable drone ? I actually bought 2 Inspire 1's to have a backup for professional work and for the longest time I was convinced that it was the Inspire 1 body that was giving me the stability issues.  To this day I feel like I get bumpy shots with my Inspire 1 Pro (Zenmuse X5) setup.  Looking at your footage, it doesn't seem to have the same "wobble" effect that I've been getting.  Unlike others, I actually have absolutely no problems with the image quality as it look amazing on my OSMO,  however I'm thinking the Zenmuse may be the problem now..  I'm really not even sure.  I've tested the Inspire 1 so many times and have sent the drone back to get a check up from the neck up, but I still don't get a smooth flight. It always feels like it is being bounced around, even when there is no wind.   I would say it's pretty much impossible to get a nice smooth panning shot that I can get on the Phantom 4.   First of are you using any smooth cam add ons?  If not what settings do you suggest and what does your set up look like?  Also, what model Inpsire1 do you use?  I'm wondering if the older models just don't work as well because both of my Inspires seem to be experinecing the wobble.
2016-8-23
Use props
WYHSniper1007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1003822 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice! Good Job!
2017-1-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now