Work around for Peaking
1980 17 2016-8-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
stuart
New
Flight distance : 751 ft
United Kingdom

So i picked up an x5r to go on my Osmo. I want to say right from the start the footage is great!

However it is not a product useable from pros yet and for the price I would have expected better.

Firstly the fans. Oh my the fans. You obsolutly have to be able to turn them off when recording. You basicly cant record sound while recording footage. The project i have coming up we will be doing a lot of audio in post but I was hopeing to use this one a lot more standerd shoots.

You cant (with out a work around) dual screen. There is no focus peaking in the app. This means you are basicly shooting blind with the focus. You can never quite tell if you are in focus on a phone with out metering. And when you cant dual screen you cant even check it on a bigger screen.

We have found a work around for now. Using a cable from the phone to hdmi we are able to go in to an Atmos Shogun. and that Mirros the screens. We can then use that to manage the focus. We are hopeing that the Terradeck will be able to send the image to another monitor so the director can see whats happening.

The battery last 30min if you are lucky. You will spend ten of those minitues trying to get the camera set up.

I will post pics of how we get it all set up but some of these things are pretty basic with other cameras we own.

2016-8-16
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Thanks for sharing your experience. The R&D team is aware of the issue you mentioned, and will improve it. Thank you for choosing DJI
2016-8-16
Use props
dopeytree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6716467 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-H.C Posted at 2016-8-17 04:53
Thanks for sharing your experience. The R&D team is aware of the issue you mentioned, and will impro ...

Nice work around! I'm tempted to rig up my iPad pro (9.7") to make it easier to film. It works great when flying the inspire. Just need a decent sun hood & I'm sure someone can't rig up a 3d printed adapter to mount up the iPad pro on the OSMO.
2016-8-17
Use props
chubauk
lvl.3

United Kingdom

DJI-H.C Posted at 2016-8-17 04:53
Thanks for sharing your experience. The R&D team is aware of the issue you mentioned, and will impro ...

The lack of focus focus peaking/focus assist is really a problem. I don't think it was a coincidence DJI neglecting to mention that neither of them were available.

Like everyone else, I assumed I'd have the same functionality as with the X5 on the Inspire.

Then DJI shamelessly pushed the focus remote, without mentioning focus assist doesn't work with it.

It is taking too long. I have the X5 pro with the Remote Focus, and the sharpness is so hit and miss, this is definitely not a professional setup.

The R&D Team were aware of the issue before it ever went on sale. It is soooo obvious, particularly as they know we had peaking with the X5 already!!!

There clearly must be a problem, as no one can tell me whether it is being included in the next firmware update, or when the hell we are going to get a firmware update.

Now we are back to those same vague responses, that keep us waiting forever, and tell us nothing.

This is so poor.
2016-8-17
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi, "Using a cable from the phone to hdmi we are able to go in to an Atmos Shogun. and that Mirros the screens. We can then use that to manage the focus."

Do you mean you manage focus through Atmos Shogun? How did you do that through a mirrored screen?  I thought DJI Go only responded on your phone.  Do you have a DJI focus?
2016-8-18
Use props
stuart
New
Flight distance : 751 ft
United Kingdom

Yeah I have the focus wheel for my Ronin M (which is very often left in the box). The focus metering on the shogun picks up the shapeless. The only issue is it does pick up the information on the screen as sharpness also.

After seeing the location today I am not convinced the camera will do the job we are needing it to do though. On a 17mm filming in a house its just not wide enough.
2016-8-18
Use props
deltaevo
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hi Stuart
A must buy is the battery extender, I shot for 2hours on Monday and didn't even dent the capacity on my inspire battery. I used a small pouch on my belt to carry the battery in.
2016-8-18
Use props
info.fernandohe
lvl.2

Spain

if you use iphone there a way to activate and display it on screen peaking
image.png
2016-8-18
Use props
deltaevo
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hi Stuart
A must buy is the battery extender, I shot for 2hours on Monday and didn't even dent the capacity on my inspire battery. I used a small pouch on my belt to carry the battery in.
2016-8-19
Use props
robind_r
lvl.3
United Kingdom

info.fernandohe Posted at 2016-8-19 07:23
if you use iphone there a way to activate and display it on screen peaking

I think that you are confusing the zebra bars shown, which is an exposure indication, with edge peaking for focus...
2016-8-19
Use props
Dave E
lvl.4
Flight distance : 729560 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I see red edge lines as well as zebra lines.This looks like focus peaking. Is it the X5 or X5R I wonder?
2016-8-19
Use props
info.fernandohe
lvl.2

Spain

Dave E Posted at 2016-8-19 20:34
I see red edge lines as well as zebra lines.This looks like focus peaking. Is it the X5 or X5R I won ...

and indeed red contour lines is activated peaking . only works with iOS devices
2016-8-19
Use props
Jonathandear
lvl.2
Australia

@info.fernandohe -- this is NOT for the osmo. I have a ISO6 and x5 and osmo and it DOES NOT work with peaking. You must be using it with an inspire setup. Even DJI moderators here say its not yet availabhle

Stop cross posting your reference image. It is indeed incorrect for X5 and Osmo users.
2016-8-19
Use props
info.fernandohe
lvl.2

Spain

Jonathandear Posted at 2016-8-20 14:06
@info.fernandohe -- this is NOT for the osmo. I have a ISO6 and x5 and osmo and it DOES NOT work wit ...

It would not be the first time DJI moderators know the characteristics of a product
2016-8-19
Use props
info.fernandohe
lvl.2

Spain

Jonathandear Posted at 2016-8-20 14:06
@info.fernandohe -- this is NOT for the osmo. I have a ISO6 and x5 and osmo and it DOES NOT work wit ...

It would not be the first time DJI moderators know the characteristics of a product
2016-8-19
Use props
cegio
lvl.3
Flight distance : 671257 ft
  • >>>
Spain

how fernando says, exist one way to activate peaking on osmo x5. The problem is that only works on IOS .
2016-8-20
Use props
Interesting workaround (using the Shogun) but it requires a really long HDMI cable if the operator wants to do anything more than move within a relatively small box.   And the shogun would have to be set up on a tripod or c-stand so the AC can operate the focus while watching the shogun's screen.  Is this really working for you in practice?  And if so, can you please take a photo of the way it all is laid out?  (thx)

And yes... it's very odd that after all this time the Osmo's been shipping, and even with this latest firmware update (which does fix the dreaded Focus-resetting-the-aperture bug that was in the previous version), DJI is still dropping the ball on this. BIG TIME.
2016-8-29
Use props
cegio
lvl.3
Flight distance : 671257 ft
  • >>>
Spain

gary@yostopia.c Posted at 2016-8-30 00:38
Interesting workaround (using the Shogun) but it requires a really long HDMI cable if the operator w ...

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 7&fromuid=23973
2016-9-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules