Long distance flights
1394 20 2016-8-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
speedyx32
lvl.3
Romania

Hey guys,
When I fly my P4 to like 1 km or more i get Bad Image signal or something like that on the DJI GO app appears red for a second or two on the top left part of the screen.Should i be worried or is that nothing to fear about?
2016-8-17
Use props
Capt. Wild Bill
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1319180 ft
  • >>>
United States

Weak signal transmission..
You've lost video from the quad to the RC.  
2016-8-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Make sure you have proper antenna orientation and you for long distance you are flying in an interference free area.
This video may help you on antenna orientation.

2016-8-17
Use props
kleslie77
New

United States

https://youtu.be/2ebACQ05LP4

This is a range test I did yesterday with everything stock on the aircraft and radio.  I went 3.6 miles, only having to turn around due to battery limitation.  You might be having some interference issues.  
2016-8-17
Use props
Sky Mike
lvl.3
Flight distance : 357503 ft
United Kingdom

IMO i have noticed the same today and yesterday while flying the p4, i went across the bay on a trip out, it seems to happen around 1200-1300ft away, again today i was flying over a river near me following it along and again same distance away i get broken picture, iv not used the phantom for a while as was away on holidays etc come back to app updates then 1st and 2nd flights i get the video transmission flashing red weak or no signal, the second flight i have done before and i have been way way further before i got worried and brought it back
2016-8-17
Use props
speedyx32
lvl.3
Romania

Dont know what the problem might be beacuse the signal is always strong.Should i get some signal boosters?
2016-8-17
Use props
Sky Mike
lvl.3
Flight distance : 357503 ft
United Kingdom

speedyx32 Posted at 2016-8-17 20:23
Dont know what the problem might be beacuse the signal is always strong.Should i get some signal boo ...

i just went back out but took a 28% battery DOH, anyways i went down the beach goto around 1380ft all was fine but battery was low so didnt risk it and fetched it back, im thinking it must be a interferance as also my bars all showed full signal when got video msg.

Again boosters are basically same have to be in line of sight any building or hill can cause weak to no signals, mine must have been some interferance, but ill test again as i have 7 miles of beacch so plenty space
2016-8-17
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

I am so jealous!  My P4 lately is having issues going over 0.8 miles!   without getting Disconnected!
It used to do 2.5 miles when it was a few weeks younger!
2016-8-17
Use props
speedyx32
lvl.3
Romania

The RC didn't disconnect, it just gave me the Error thing.Got a mini heart attack and just flew it straight home i didn't have any obstacles in sight like hills or other big things that could interfere neither transmission towers anywhere near from what i know. The only things that were blocking the sight from me to the P4 were my house and trees so don't think these pose as a problem.
2016-8-18
Use props
Heebus
lvl.4

Canada

Trees and your house will interfere with signal, trees especially
2016-8-18
Use props
speedyx32
lvl.3
Romania

Didn't think they do. Thanks for the tip. I got a question if the P4 will loose signal and i cant control it will it come home or just crash?
2016-8-18
Use props
Heebus
lvl.4

Canada

you should hear home point pointed on the map, please check map to insure its correct... this is the app setting your home point, where you took off
make sure to set you RTH ( return to home ) height in the app, enable smart return home, and when you lose signal it will go up to the height you set in the app, and return home to where it took off. You have a RTH button on your controller to do it at anytime, and you should get used to how it works... When you get your signal back you can cancel the return home and continue to fly
2016-8-18
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

speedyx32 Posted at 2016-8-18 20:22
Didn't think they do. Thanks for the tip. I got a question if the P4 will loose signal and i cant co ...

There are three pages in the manual about the return to home feature.
Perhaps you should read them?
You shouldn't be flying without understanding basics like that.
2016-8-18
Use props
speedyx32
lvl.3
Romania

I did read all the pages from the manual but i didnt know how good the feature was if i could actually  trust it.
2016-8-19
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

I practiced RTH once in a safe area and it worked.  I would never use RTH though, because of the potential compass error during flight.  Then the P4 can fly away.
The P4 will automatically go into RTH though when the signal is lost though. I always adjust the RTH altitude based upon the area I fly. Assume it will occur when the P4 is behind a hill, so the RTH altitude better be a few feet higher then the highest int in the area you fly.  Use google maps with altitude to check the area first. And remember, it is relative to the Home Point altitude.   
BTW:
As soon as you have the P4 within range, cancel the RTH and land it manually.
2016-8-19
Use props
roger.crawford
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41568 ft
United States

speedyx32 Posted at 2016-8-19 20:43
I did read all the pages from the manual but i didnt know how good the feature was if i could actual ...

Word of advice? Read closely, then test. then repeat if it doesn't work as described. Simply the best way to learn.
2016-8-19
Use props
MarcoX5
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1196778 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-8-17 11:46
Make sure you have proper antenna orientation and you for long distance you are flying in an interfe ...

Ken, you seem to be posting this video about twice a week to answer this recurring question.  I would suggest that DJI enhance the user documentation to emphasize these points for new owners.  
2016-8-19
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

speedyx32 Posted at 2016-8-19 22:43
I did read all the pages from the manual but i didnt know how good the feature was if i could actual ...

RTH is very reliable .... if the operator understands it, how it works and how to initiate and cancel it.
This forum is full of crash stories and lost Phantoms due to the operators never having experimented with RTH.
The day you need it is not a good day to learn how to use it.

Go to a big open area and try it out.
See how it does what it does and how you set it and cancel it to resume control.
And remember, you have to be further than 20 metres away for it to come home.
2016-8-19
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

MarcoX5 Posted at 2016-8-19 16:07
Ken, you seem to be posting this video about twice a week to answer this recurring question.  I wo ...

It was going to be one of the tutorial videos in the Academy section of the app. Possibly the next app update.
2016-8-19
Use props
dj.trillium
lvl.2

United States

I'm sure someone can confirm my suspicion here but when flying my P4 long distance Is it "normal" for it to jump in and out of signal loss at certain distances and show up as a disconnect as it changes to a new and stable frequency? I'm still quite new to it but I find if I keep going even with warnings and the occasional video freeze/ momentary loss things recover and it keeps on trucking! At what point will RTH engage when signal loss occurs? Is there a specified loss time or condition? It does make my heart miss a beat each time it happens I must admit but I have a lot of trust and faith in that RTH doing the job intended in it!   
2016-8-23
Use props
MicroFPV
lvl.3

United States

Do you have it configured to just hover or RTH.  I thought I had read 3 seconds before it kicks in but I'm kind of new with it and maybe somebody else can chime in with some times.  Reminds me I want to test it with turning off the radio.  That will be a nervous moment indeed.

2016-8-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules