Photographing Around Telecommunication Towers
816 7 2016-8-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Helipilot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 79846 ft
United Kingdom

Hi I need some advice. It looks like I will be asked in the coming  months to do some inspection work on a variety of masts, TV,  Telecommunicatio/Mobile Phone towers. It is, and always has been, my  intention to buy a Matirce 600 for this and was thinking of ensuring it  was fitted with perhaps Datalink Pro and D-RTK to try and help overcome  the interference. Has anyone had any experience of this and could offer  some advice. Am I barking up the wrong tree here with the Datalink etc?  Any help would be gratefully received. Not sure where to post this so  will try a few areas and trust that is allowed.

Thanks
2016-8-17
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

I responded to you via your duplicate post:

http://forum.dji.com/thread-61137-1-1.html

Please keep in mind that it would be best to only have one thread per subject, so that amswers are not duplicated.
2016-8-17
Use props
ricci2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 61158 ft
  • >>>
France

Greetings Helipilot,
I have a few missions under my belt now and my first worry was the amount of energy exuded from a radio mast then I decided to invest in the m600 with thermal camera and x5 with olympus zoom. The 4k and the zoom means I can be at least 30m away from the target, get great visuals and thermal info too. This is an area I want to get involved in in the future, very exciting. testing with the m600 has proven successful for drift even in stronger winds without the datalink pro but a good waypoint software programs like autopilot or even the DJI Ground-station can be beneficial too. happy to share the m600 specs if you need them.

r
2016-8-17
Use props
Helipilot
lvl.2
United Kingdom

ricci2 Posted at 2016-8-17 22:11
Greetings Helipilot,
I have a few missions under my belt now and my first worry was the amount of en ...

Hi Ricci2, I would be most grateful for your specs and if you have any links to what you have shot I would love to see it, especially from the zoom lens. Thanks for taking the time to reply and I look forward to hearing from you soon. Many thanks !

PS If its easier my email is bvgsr22@aol.com
2016-8-18
Use props
iantansey
lvl.2

Ireland

Ricci2, this is most helpful and if you could post specs and pics here that would be fantastic
2016-8-18
Use props
ricci2
Second Officer
  • >>>
France

hello Chaps,
happy to post specs here however the pictures belong to the client so without permission I am unable to post them.
specs:
off the shelf m600 but upgraded to pro so the redundancies are there for a backup encase the cell tower emf interfered, the imu's cut in seamlessly and also allow you to check after flight if they had issues.
I ordered the x5 camera body but without lens. I bought an Olympus ez 14-42mm lens which is compatible with the go app and you also need the adaptor kit to fit it to the m600 and a balance weight on the front of the camera, there will be a new x3 zoom soon with almost the same specs but more expensive.. then the thermal camera.. unless you have the work to justify the thermal camera it is ridiculously overpriced. I have a contact in Germany that makes thermal cameras for the military and I now have a version of that and its cheaper than DJI, sorry DJI but needs must. if you have £11,000 to invest then the Dji unit is a good bit of kit but not the best value. I have a second ground controller so a second person is able to manipulate the camera and I can concentrate and just fly.  I use an iPad pro 12" for the camera man and a air 2 for me with a 6s plus iPhone on standby. I also have a datalink for the ground station software running a windows tablet plus I am beta testing the new groundstation and also the autopilot app. I have four spare sets of props a second set of batteries and plenty of tools...NB the Allen heads on the m600 are imperial for some odd reason so make sure you have a set going down to 5/64th no metric equivalent. I run a top plate between the gas's to mount the thermal and x5 camera for shooting up from underneath a structure. the A3 controller and Lightbridge 2 have the ability to run two camera inputs however the controller will only control one gimbal unless a completely separate system is setup, dji suggested another complete flight system and ground controller but at £1500 it too steep so I have a damped vibration mount for the thermal camera, works fine after tuning. the good thing about having a separate ground controller and two cameras is you can have both outputs on different displays at the same time. the beauty of the thermal camera is at 100m the temperature resolution is 0.002 degrees and a measuring area of 120mm depending on the lens, which allows you to be at a safe distance and still collect huge amounts of radiometric data for post analysis. last thing, I have pelican cases to take all the equipment on planes which cost as much as the m600 nearly and large enough to live in too if it rains but very necessary if you want to move around a lot. feel free to ask questions as I am sure I have forgotten stuff.

r
2016-8-18
Use props
Helipilot
lvl.2
United Kingdom

ricci2 Posted at 2016-8-17 22:11
Greetings Helipilot,
I have a few missions under my belt now and my first worry was the amount of en ...

Ricci can you actually zoom from the ap? I was looking at the Sony with zoom but even if I could control the zoom with a modified DJI focus ring then because the lens moves out as you zoom I feel sure the gimbal (Ronin MX) would be out of balance....am I correct here? I just want something with more than 16MP, any suggestions would be more than welcome.

Thanks
2016-8-30
Use props
ricci2
Second Officer
  • >>>
France

Greeting Helipilot,
I use the x5 with olympus 14-42 lens and it works perfectly, it is more sensitive to movement when zoomed in but the 4k gives great resolution and with the stable m600, you can get to with 20m easy and have great ability to capture single frames, the go app has a slider for zoom and works well. the x5 with good lenses will give great results plus the new x3 zoom has good reviews too. The way around the emf of the tower is to use waypoints with set camera actions, use autopilot for this as the DJI in in beta test mode. I have used it recently to survey a vineyard with success, the beauty here is if the 2.4ghz control signal is overwhelmed the m600 will fly the mission any way. love to help but stuck in France for  bit, whens your first flight? feel free to PM if you want more info.
r
2016-8-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules