Takeoff from a hill (non-level takeoff spot)
1489 10 2016-8-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
werner.daehn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 350837 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I know how to take off on a hill with a RC helicopter, you give a little pitch and roll until the helicopter raises one side of the landing gear into the air, now it is horizontal and you can take off normally. Should not be too steep of course. Similar thing for landing.
With the Inspire I have three questions actually:

1. IMU and Camera initialization: I heard someone with lots of experience saying that if you turn on the Insipire and the ground is not flat/horizontal, then you will have the issue that in-flight the horizont is not level. From my experience with Brushless Gimbals, the frame orientation does not matter. For example in handheld gimbals, when you turn them on, you have to keep them steady but not horizontal. But the Inspire has a frame IMU, has encoders in motors, so it could be different.

2. Practical experiences of how many degrees the Inspire can handle when taking off. Does it have to be in 5° range, 10°? Obviously not 20° downhill and more but what do you do in the mountains and no ridge nearby?

3. Same for landing.

Thanks in advance

2016-8-17
Use props
Positveimage
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2772 ft

Hi,
We live on a farm with fields which run off downhill and so not level. I regularly fly from 5 to 10 degree slopes with no special measures as regard pitch and roll other than to land slowly. I have encountered no adverse effects regarding the camera etc when I do this.
Thanks
2016-8-18
Use props
Positveimage
lvl.3

Hi,
We live on a farm with fields which run off downhill and so not level. I regularly fly from 5 to 10 degree slopes with no special measures as regard pitch and roll other than to land slowly. I have encountered no adverse effects regarding the camera etc when I do this.
Thanks
2016-8-18
Use props
Positveimage
lvl.3

Hi,
Thanks
2016-8-18
Use props
Positveimage
lvl.3

Hi,
Thanks
2016-8-18
Use props
markaguille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

Hi,
I don't live on a farm but my advice to you would be to "pop" the aircraft up on take off fairly swiftly to just above head level (making sure it is facing away from you). If you take off too slowly on an uneven surface you risk hitting the ground. Better still find an even surface or try a hand take off, holding on to the battery.
I may be pointing out the obvious here but if you are not sure about taking off on a surface how comfortable are you going to be trying to land there?

Fly safe dude

Mark G.
2016-8-18
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1036959 ft
Austria

Didnt have any issues starting from a mountain road with probably 10-30 degree.
2016-8-19
Use props
werner.daehn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 350837 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Thanks, good to know.
2016-8-19
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Ideally you want to start up and take off on as even ground as possible. The unit can take some variation from level, but not excessive.
2016-8-19
Use props
SimplePanda
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1719062 ft
  • >>>
Canada

If you're going to be taking off from badly unlevelled areas the best approach is to find level ground anywhere you can (even if it's too small to take off from), boot up the copter and let it settle, then move the copter to the uneven surface. I do this often for hillside takeoffs.
2016-8-19
Use props
markaguille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

SimplePanda Posted at 2016-8-19 17:36
If you're going to be taking off from badly unlevelled areas the best approach is to find level grou ...

Wow      
2016-8-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules