Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
P3 pro fell straight down
2712 25 2016-8-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
joe.zeto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 53829 ft

See video below.  2min flight.  Up a 100 feet or so.  Flew out maybe 400 feet.  Nothing around.  It just fell straight down.  The area is a valley with tons of vegitation making recovery impossible.

Emailed DJI support and they opened ticket #260260.  They asked me to fill out a form, which I did.  They said they would get back to me, but 6 days and 3 emails later nothing.

Will DJI step up and help or am I just out of luck.

2016-8-18
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

DJI can be quite generous in replacing a lost aircraft, or perhaps giving you a discount to buy a new one. But they need to satisfy themselves that it was lost due to a fault in the aircraft, and to do that, they need to see the logs. So if you have been asked to provide the logs, do so ASAP. Remember, this replacement is their decision, if they find the loss was due to pilot error, they may not offer you anything, nor are they obliged to do so.

2016-8-18
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

"Will DJI step up and help or am I just out of luck".

That will depend on what the flight data reveals.
2016-8-18
Use props
joe.zeto
lvl.4
United States

I synced the logs.   They have gone dark.
2016-8-18
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

joe.zeto Posted at 2016-8-19 06:30
I synced the logs.   They have gone dark.

Based on the information provided, they are finishing up the flight record analysis. You should be hearing from them shortly.
2016-8-18
Use props
joe.zeto
lvl.4
United States

Cool.  I'll report back.
2016-8-18
Use props
UCLABruins
lvl.2
Flight distance : 488904 ft

United States

So providing the log is just a matter of using the DJI Go app to upload the logs? Wow....that is easy
2016-8-18
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow - the thing looks like it really spun out! Maybe some pot growers show magnetic waves up at it!
2016-8-18
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

There seems to be quite a few recent failures that look similar.  At the time of the loss of control, you still had plenty of satellites, and it was still in P-GPS mode.  After it spun around some, it switched to GPS-ATTI.  I've also noticed that all of the failures of this type that I have seen have spun to the left before going down.  I think there's something common going on.  Hopefully DJI is seeing something also, even if they deny it, and just go ahead and fix it.  Thank goodness mine hasn't done it (knock on my wooden head).    I hope your case comes out well.
2016-8-18
Use props
joe.zeto
lvl.4
United States

lablover Posted at 2016-8-19 09:12
Can I ask how you recorded that?

AZ Screen Recorder for Android.

I should have displayed the control input as well.  Maybe I'll do it again and upload.  You can see exactly when you go up, turn, and direction.  When it fell it was in hover.
2016-8-18
Use props
OrlyP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 36916 ft
Singapore

Two things I don't quite get.

First, the video ended with the drone presumably crashing but I can't seem to correlate that with the altitude which shows to be rapidly increasing and stopping at 502ft.

2nd, when the aircraft got into what appears to be a spin, I don't understand why the gimbal pitch indicator also started jumping around.
2016-8-18
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

OrlyP Posted at 2016-8-19 15:21
Two things I don't quite get.

First, the video ended with the drone presumably crashing but I can' ...

1. The number indicates distance, not altitude

2.When the aircraft goes down, of course the the camera jumps around, thus the indicator changed status rapidly.

It looks like it's most likely a propeller spun out, other reasons can be a rotor suddenly died, or bird struck the drone.  DJI technician can tell the difference through your flight log.
2016-8-19
Use props
ccbiggz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 117697 ft
United States

DJI-H.C Posted at 2016-8-19 05:46

2.When the aircraft goes down, of course the the ca ...

When you say a propeller spun out are you saying the propeller came off the drone?
2016-8-19
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

ccbiggz Posted at 2016-8-19 18:17
When you say a propeller spun out are you saying the propeller came off the drone?

Yeah, it's not uncommon, sometimes it's because the pilot didn't properly install it, sometimes it's the propeller just snap. The latter one is covered by DJI.
2016-8-19
Use props
OrlyP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 36916 ft
Philippines

DJI-H.C Posted at 2016-8-19 17:46

2.When the aircraft goes down, of course the the ca ...

Oops. My bad.
2016-8-19
Use props
troygundy
New

United States

I just got my Phantom 3 Advanced on Monday, August 15th and it fell straight to the ground on August 19th. I had several great flights with it up to then. I was in my back yard doing some simple maneuvers at low altitude 10-30' and then decided to take it up about 180' above me still flying about 160-170' distance from me and with 49% battery left, it was like the unit just shut off... All four props stopped and then of course crashed to the ground, the controller said signal was lost. The camera and gimbal are toast, but the body actually came through decently for a fall like that.  After replacing 2 props, I restarted tested it and it does seem to fly ok. I need to see what I have to do to get this checked out if it can be covered under warranty as well. This was definitely not anything to do with me initiating the crash. I did not spend this much money on a quadcopter just to have it crash itself. I am not sure how to post the video from my phone. I was not recording any video at the time from the camera. I need to get with DJI on this to see what is up. I did get all of the flight data downloaded to my PC last night.
2016-8-22
Use props
joe.zeto
lvl.4
United States

Just got word today from DJI that they are replacing the drone.  Very good news.  I went out and bought a P4 already, so now I guess I'll have two of them.
2016-8-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

troygundy Posted at 2016-8-23 00:16
I just got my Phantom 3 Advanced on Monday, August 15th and it fell straight to the ground on August ...

I'm sorry for your mishap, call 818-235-0789 and start a ticket and include a link to the DAT file of the crash and the flight analysis department will run a analysis.
2016-8-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

joe.zeto Posted at 2016-8-23 05:23
Just got word today from DJI that they are replacing the drone.  Very good news.  I went out and bou ...

That's great to hear. You can never have enough aircraft.
2016-8-22
Use props
fly.paragliders
lvl.1
Flight distance : 108356 ft
Australia

4 Days ago when flying my P3P, I had been flying for 15 minutes when I flew back for a fresh battery. I replaced a full battery into the drone and being just 3-5 minutes into the flight the screen froze on my Fat Shark goggles and teh drone fell out of the sky into the ocean.
I didnt have my tablet attached just the goggles and so I dont have a flight log. Can someone tell me if the flight log is stored on the Flight Controller..Drone was bought NEW just 4 months ago and had I had flown about 15 - 20 hours hours max on it.

I film professional surfers and want to get another drone but I wont get another DJI drone if this is going to happen again.

Can someone please advise how I go about the flight log or contacting DJI, as I sent them an email and I get no reply from them

Cheers
Lee
2016-8-23
Use props
fly.paragliders
lvl.1
Australia

troygundy Posted at 2016-8-23 00:16
I just got my Phantom 3 Advanced on Monday, August 15th and it fell straight to the ground on August ...

Same thing happened to my drone 4 days ago, how do I contact DJI about this, my drone was just 4 months old
2016-8-23
Use props
fly.paragliders
lvl.1
Australia

joe.zeto Posted at 2016-8-23 05:23
Just got word today from DJI that they are replacing the drone.  Very good news.  I went out and bou ...

Joe how did yo contact them, Im in Australia and have sent emails but I get no replies, my drone fell like a brick into the ocean
2016-8-23
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

fly.paragliders Posted at 2016-8-24 12:46
Joe how did yo contact them, Im in Australia and have sent emails but I get no replies, my drone f ...

If you have not recovered the aircraft, and you did not have a tablet attached to the RC unit, then you have no flight records. Without flight records, DJI will not consider a replacement, as they cannot examine what happened. Bad luck, but that's the way it is.
2016-8-23
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

fly.paragliders Posted at 2016-8-24 10:21
4 Days ago when flying my P3P, I had been flying for 15 minutes when I flew back for a fresh battery ...

What's your ticket number ? When did you email our tech support?
2016-8-24
Use props
troygundy
New

United States

troygundy Posted at 2016-8-22 11:16

I just received word that DJI has repaired my drone at no cost to me, and is ready to ship it back to me. That was a pretty quick turn around- 3 work days. I appreciate the help from this forum on getting the ball rolling and appreciate DJI service people for a quick repair.
I'm ready to get back into the air!!!! I am going to be a little worried about what it was that happened to make it just quit running and falling out of the air and I will be hoping it never happens again!!!
2016-9-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules