Dumb Newbie Questions
2146 25 2015-1-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
InspiredOne
lvl.3

United States

OK, I've gone through the case, piece by piece, very carefully. So here are my first three questions:

1. I have the battery charger with a dual connection for charging a battery and the controller. What is the second "Remote Controller Charging Cable" and how is to be used?

2. I have a small plastic bag. In that bag is a giant metal key for opening king-sized cans of Spam, I guess. What is its function--what does it open (no Spam included)?

3. In that same bag as the Spam key is another smaller bag with what appears to be four (4) bushings of some sort, for dampening vibrations, I presume. Where do they go? I've found nothing in the User Manual or the Quick Start Guide regarding these pieces.

By the way, I should have shot a video of me trying to figure out how to get into the controller harness--reminiscent of putting on my first jock strap many, many, many years ago.

Thanks in advance guys!
2015-1-28
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872694 ft
  • >>>
United States

1: Charge the TX via a flight battery
2: To tighten the smart device holder.
3. These are harder dampeners, you would replace these with stock if desired.  I have found these do help jello in FFF and heavy wind but do increase the micro bounces a little.

InspireOne, it would be cool if you could post under the same thread. This way the forum doesn't get so cluttered
2015-1-28
Use props
InspiredOne
lvl.3

United States

Thanks, Blade!

Yes, I will post further questions in this same thread. Thanks for the suggestion.
2015-1-28
Use props
InspiredOne
lvl.3

United States

Ok, reading the User Manual alone and reading it with the equipment present is two different experiences, at least for me.

On page 36 of the manual, it says the camera's pan capability is disabled by default. The only way to gain control of this is to enable "the 'Master-and-Slave' mode and set the remote controller to 'Slave' state if you wish to control both the pan and the pitch movement of the camera."

So here's the next dumb question:

Working with only one controller, can you set the single controller to Slave to control the pan of the camera and still control the aircraft or does switching to Slave disable the controller's command over the aircraft? Did I ask that correctly?

Thanks in advance!
2015-1-28
Use props
JakeLikesStuff
lvl.3

United States

If you switched to Slave you'd lose control of craft. Not sure if you can if there is no active master, But don't try.

You can control the camera up and down by one of the triggers. And I saw a vidoe that showed if you hold your finger on your tablet, and move it around, it'll control the camera and not the flight.

I'm talking mostly out of my ass though as Ive done zero flying and don't even have my drone yet.
2015-1-28
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

You need to open the app and go into RC Control settings. Then open the map c1 / c2 window. Then select the desired function.
2015-1-28
Use props
daninperth
lvl.3

United States

InspiredOne Posted at 2015-1-29 05:21
Ok, reading the User Manual alone and reading it with the equipment present is two different experie ...

Hi,

That part of the manual causes confusion. You may not be able to control tilt and pan/pitch and yaw of the gimbal as smoothly as you would if you were using a slave controller for camera function only, but you can in fact tilt and pan from the master controller.  There are two ways that I know to do this. First is mentioned here by Jake already. You touch the Pilot App screen in Camera Mode and see a white circle with a dot in it. You simply move that up down left right and it controls both tilt and pan.  
Another way to access both tilt and pan and the way I prefer for use during flight is to assign one of the two white buttons -- C1 or C2 -- on the underside of the controller to function as toggle between camera tilt and pan through the dial on the left side of the controller that is by default used to tilt the gimbal.   Whatever way is more convenient for you. You will find this setting in RC Control Settings under RC Settings. You can access RC Settings by tapping the little RC icon on the right side of the upper screen of the Pilot App.

Dan
2015-1-28
Use props
InspiredOne
lvl.3

United States

daninperth Posted at 2015-1-29 06:05
Hi,

That part of the manual causes confusion. You may not be able to control tilt and pan of the g ...

Thanks, gentlemen, your comments are greatly appreciated. Blade and Dan, I will look into that option, it sounds most preferable.
2015-1-28
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

InspiredOne Posted at 2015-1-29 06:13
Thanks, gentlemen, your comments are greatly appreciated. Blade and Dan, I will look into that opt ...

made you a video
2015-1-28
Use props
InspiredOne
lvl.3

United States

Wow, Blade, that was very kind of you! I truly appreciate the time you took to do that. Looks so much easier when you see it being done than when you read how to do it. I'm a visual person to begin with (40 years in film and video) , so I guess that may have something to do with it.

Will set 'er up right now!

THANKS!
2015-1-28
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

No problem.. Happy landings
2015-1-28
Use props
InspiredOne
lvl.3

United States

That worked like a charm, Blade. Thanks, again!
2015-1-28
Use props
InspiredOne
lvl.3

United States

Another dumb question:

Is it safe to remove the firmware files from the SD card once the update is complete?
2015-1-28
Use props
InspiredOne
lvl.3

United States

In another thread, regarding IMU calibration, I read the following: "Recalibration of the IMU is only needed if the MOD value is greater than 1.01 or less than 0.99. Target MOD for accelerometer is 1.00."

My numbers constantly fluctuate among those numbers--one second it reads 1.00, then 0.99, then back to 1.00, then up to 1.01, and then back to 0.99 and so on. Is this normal or do I have a problem?

Frankly, these horror stories about fly away Inspires crashing first crack out of the box on takeoff have me fairly concerned.   If it weren't for my bad luck, I wouldn't have any.
2015-1-28
Use props
daninperth
lvl.3

United States

InspiredOne Posted at 2015-1-29 08:50
Another dumb question:

Is it safe to remove the firmware files from the SD card once the update is  ...

It is safe to remove but you may want to keep it on there in case you install new batteries that require a firmware update.

Dan
2015-1-28
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

InspiredOne Posted at 2015-1-29 09:10
In another thread, regarding IMU calibration, I read the following: "Recalibration of the IMU is onl ...

You will be fine, those are valid numbers.
2015-1-28
Use props
TravisSRT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 68555177 ft
  • >>>
United States

Blade_Strike Posted at 2015-1-29 09:25
You will be fine, those are valid numbers.

I have a possible dumb question and didn't want to start a new thread.  I just received my second controller today and it seems to work perfect in slave mode.  Question is when using second controller for camera control is it normal for the right stick to be reversed (up=camera down, down=camera up)?  
2015-1-28
Use props
FrostyThe2nd
lvl.2

United States

TravisSRT Posted at 2015-1-29 09:33
I have a possible dumb question and didn't want to start a new thread.  I just received my second  ...

That's how mine is also. I wonder if it's possible to change that.
2015-1-28
Use props
TravisSRT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 68555177 ft
  • >>>
United States

FrostyThe2nd Posted at 2015-1-29 10:15
That's how mine is also. I wonder if it's possible to change that.

Yep it's possible, just found this video how to do that..
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ ... k/1544324032507145/
2015-1-28
Use props
InspiredOne
lvl.3

United States

Is it possible to fly the Inspire without the camera? Would this cause an imbalance? Could a counter-weight equal to the weight of the camera be added to keep the aircraft in balance?

Thanks!
2015-1-29
Use props
InspiredOne
lvl.3

United States

Another question:

What is the bare minimum one would go before the low battery warning was issued--30%, 25% 20%. I presume there are some factors that would impact that decision.

Thanks!
2015-1-29
Use props
daninperth
lvl.3

United States

InspiredOne Posted at 2015-1-30 03:00
Another question:

What is the bare minimum one would go before the low battery warning was issued-- ...

That would depend on the altitude and distance and other variables like how you were flying and maybe temp? Also on the individual battery? And certainly the discharge curve of the battery.  One thing for sure is someone is going to find the answer to your question by experience or the hard way.   I keep mine at 30% for most and 20% for shallow flights because I am unfamiliar with the batteries. I'm sure many people are doing all kinds of envelope pushing experiments.

Also I keep an eye on the battery. If I am flying off far away -- beyond things that could become obstructions -- I don't rely on that low battery warning.  

On the other hand, I have also been in open fields with no obstructions and let it run to forced landing quite a few times. That is, I prevent landing until the critcally low warning sounds and see how it reacts.  As long as the Inspire is in plain view, relatively low and near the Home Point and there are no obstructions around.  Many here have probably done this. If you want to determine your general margin for error you can do that but just make sure that Inspire is hovering a few meters over the Home Point right in front of you.  And also remember your energy consumption rate is low when you are flying like that.

Now that I have given you a headache, here is my version of the short answer: You may want to consider keeping the low battery warning at the default setting and don't fly too far away for now. Leave yourself a huge margin for error and get in the habit of glancing at the battery level indicator often.  Do not necessarily rely on automated warnings for things like energy. If you are already experienced with flying things then please excuse the pedantry  

Dan
2015-1-29
Use props
InspiredOne
lvl.3

United States

Thanks, Dan. In cases like this pedantry is our friend.
2015-1-30
Use props
daninperth
lvl.3

United States

InspiredOne Posted at 2015-1-30 21:25
Thanks, Dan. In cases like this pedantry is our friend.

Haha good on you. I've got pedantry to burn.  You are welcome! Soon you'll be showing some of your work on here.
2015-1-30
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

I can help you with a couple of your questions. The Controller/Battery Cable is used to charge the Controller from one of your Inspire Batteries in case you go low out in the field. The Rubber Dampers are just that, They are spares for the Gimbal Mount.

The Harness, well looked at it once and tried to sort it out and went back to having another Beer.
2015-1-30
Use props
InspiredOne
lvl.3

United States

Thanks Rodger. That harness should be a test for qualifying all Inspire 1 pilots!
2015-1-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules