7730 12 2016-8-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
newhamish
lvl.1
Flight distance : 196450 ft
United Kingdom

Hi,

Has anyone recently flown with Virgin Atlantic and took their drone on board as carry on luggage.

Asking as going away next week and wanted to take it with me, I have it packed in a hard shell case with two batteries

Thanks

2016-8-21
Use props
larry_100000
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Not 100% sure but you may have a problem with batteries. Think air companies don't like un-connected batteries due to fire risk.  Maybe someone else knows.
2016-8-21
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Phantom owners take their Phantoms on planes every day of the week.
Airport security check people won't even blink when they see it in their X-ray scanners.
Your batteries must go in carry-on luggage.
You'll have no problem if they are in the hard case with you.
If you go to:  http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/g ... us-goods-table.html
... and check the Allowed on Board link, you'll see it says ...
All spare batteries, including lithium metal or lithium ion cells or batteries, for such portable electronic devices must be carried in carry-on baggage only. These batteries must be individually protected to prevent short circuits. .....  Allowed in carry-on   Not allowed in checked luggage.
2016-8-21
Use props
newhamish
lvl.1
Flight distance : 196450 ft
United Kingdom

Thank for your help labroides
2016-8-21
Use props
joeglennaz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8327 ft

I fly with my Phantom 3 all the time.

1. I carry it on. Batteries cannot be checked down below in the cargo hold with regular luggage.
2. Keep in mind your case must meet carry-on requirements. I use a case pro case, and they have a case for every model. Mine even has wheels and a pop out handle so I can roll it. It can hold the drone 4 batteries, a tablet the remote extra props, the battery charger and a few other things. And it's a very reasonable price! Military grade protection etc. See:http://www.casesbysource.com/pro ... ard-case-cp-phan3-w  For the exact case.
3. They do have fire suppression systems in the cargo hold but in the unlikely event of a fire, they would rather have it break out in the cabin where they could deal with it using fire extinguishers rather than have it buried in luggage.

Hope this helps!

Joe
Tell them Joe from Arise Drone recommended their cases!
2016-8-21
Use props
michaelfinney_h
lvl.2

United Kingdom

joeglennaz Posted at 2016-8-21 21:38
I fly with my Phantom 3 all the time.

1. I carry it on. Batteries cannot be checked down below in  ...

joeglenaz Half the price of a quadcopter just for the case ....Huh !
2016-8-23
Use props
mikelt006
lvl.3
Flight distance : 336880 ft
Israel

You just put the drones with all of it accessories in a hard case, and take the batteries with you, but I don't know how people gonna look at a hard case, it's quite attention seeker.
2016-8-23
Use props
roger.crawford
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41568 ft
United States

Check with the airline re: the batteries. Most all require carry-on, but many restrict the number or total capacity. Stupid regulations, but I ran into it on American Air. I could carry unlimited laptops, but only two batteries for the drone.
2016-8-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would think it wouldn't be an problem but I would at least put something (electrical tape) over the battery terminals of the two batteries.

airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

122.61 KB, Down times: 16

2016-8-23
Use props
fans9a7c0aa0
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8327 ft
United States

mikelt006@gmail Posted at 2016-8-23 11:39
You just put the drones with all of it accessories in a hard case, and take the batteries with you, but I don't know how people gonna look at a hard case, it's quite attention seeker.

I've never had an issue... You are right it looks like it might even have guns in it. I think most people assume it's camera equipment. I also have a tag on mine that says "Press" TSA people tell me people come through all the time with them.
2017-4-4
Use props
Michaelt89
lvl.3
Flight distance : 336880 ft
Israel

Can't you take the entire backpack with you onboard ?
2017-4-7
Use props
fredq2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 133287 ft
United States

Michaelt89 Posted at 2017-4-7 09:30
Can't you take the entire backpack with you onboard ?

not sure about the UK but for US FAA lithium batteries
2017-4-8
Use props
fredq2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 133287 ft
United States

fredq2 Posted at 2017-4-8 05:05
not sure about the UK but for US FAA lithium batteries

and semi related to this topic - I have been able to store a P3P in an aluminum case with batteries in the overhead of every type of aircraft except CRJ 100/200. On that jet, it fits under the seat but encroaches a bit into your neighbors leg room (usually my wife)
2017-4-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules