GOPRO INSTANTLY OVERHEATS
1311 20 2016-8-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kannongoodman
lvl.1

United States

When i plug my micro usb in to the gopro from the gimbal, and the transmitter for my FPV monitor/screen and turn everything on, the gopro immediatly overheats and sometimes smokes and i have to turn everything off. i assume that the two things are interfering in some way but im not an expert on that kind of thing. what is causing this and how can i fix it? i would be grateful if someone took the time to answer my question.
2016-8-21
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Can you clarify which gimbal and GoPro you are using? Could you provide a list of your set up?
2016-8-22
Use props
kannongoodman
lvl.1

United States

gimbal: Zenmuse H3-3D
phantom: 2
FPV monitor: Eachine LCD58025 Diversity Receiver monitor
Transmitter for FPV monitor: immersion RC
Gopro: hero 3+
2016-8-22
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

kannongoodman@y Posted at 2016-8-23 05:38
gimbal: Zenmuse H3-3D
phantom: 2
FPV monitor: Eachine LCD58025 Diversity Receiver monitor

Does the gimbal seem relatively balanced? Is the firmware on the Phantom and H3-3D up to date with the latest firmware? Does the overheating only occur when you have the Mini USB plugged into the gimbal, or does this occur when unplugged as well? If you could provide a picture of how you have the aircraft and gimbal set up with the immersion RC TX, that would be appreciated as well.
2016-8-23
Use props
kannongoodman
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-8-23 14:46
Does the gimbal seem relatively balanced? Is the firmware on the Phantom and H3-3D up to date with  ...

the gimbal is balanced and i can fly the drone and use the gimbal, go pro and record. It works fine! it is just when the mini usb and transmitter are plugged in at the same time. Only one can be plugged in at one time so it doesn't overheat. Also could you explain how to send a picture using the "image address", so i can help you help me.
2016-8-23
Use props
kannongoodman
lvl.1

United States

kannongoodman@y Posted at 2016-8-23 21:51
the gimbal is balanced and i can fly the drone and use the gimbal, go pro and record. It works fin ...

[img]https://forum33.djicdn.com/data/attachment/forum//Users/ownermac/Desktop/IMG_1369.JPG[img]/Users/ownermac/Desktop/IMG_1367.JPG[/img][/img]
2016-8-23
Use props
kannongoodman
lvl.1

United States

2016-8-23
Use props
kannongoodman
lvl.1

United States

as you can see i figured out the pics so just ignore my comment above
2016-8-23
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

kannongoodman@y Posted at 2016-8-24 10:19
as you can see i figured out the pics so just ignore my comment above

It seems as though the picture isn't coming through, could you repost it?
2016-8-24
Use props
kannongoodman
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-8-24 13:30
It seems as though the picture isn't coming through, could you repost it?

trying again

transmitter

transmitter
IMG_1368.JPG

mini usb plug in 2

mini usb plug in 2

full view

full view
2016-8-24
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

I'm able to see them now, thank you. Just to clarify, do you have the immersionRC TX soldered directly to the board, or are you plugged into the CAM port on the Phantom 2? How much wattage is this particular one?
2016-8-25
Use props
kannongoodman
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-8-25 10:21
I'm able to see them now, thank you. Just to clarify, do you have the immersionRC TX soldered dire ...

the immersion RC TX is plugged in and then taped to the bottom of the drone it is 600 milliwatts

transmitter plug in site

transmitter plug in site
2016-8-25
Use props
kannongoodman
lvl.1

United States

this is what the transmitter is plugged in to
2016-8-25
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

kannongoodman@y Posted at 2016-8-26 09:50
the immersion RC TX is plugged in and then taped to the bottom of the drone it is 600 milliwatts

Thanks for the update. I was mostly looking to confirm how you connected the immersionRC TX internally.
2016-8-26
Use props
kannongoodman
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-8-26 13:35
Thanks for the update. I was mostly looking to confirm how you connected the immersionRC TX intern ...

ok                          
2016-8-26
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

As far as your internal connections, did you solder anything to the board, or just use the CAM port on the center board?
2016-8-26
Use props
kannongoodman
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-8-26 17:55
As far as your internal connections, did you solder anything to the board, or just use the CAM por ...

nothing is soldered to the board just the cam port
2016-8-26
Use props
kannongoodman
lvl.1

United States

just the cam port is plugged in
2016-8-28
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

kannongoodman@y Posted at 2016-8-29 00:33
just the cam port is plugged in

There may be a chance that the 600 MW transmitter may be a little too powerful. For the sake of testing, do you happen to have a immersionRC TX that uses a smaller wattage to see if the lesser one causes overheating as well?
2016-8-29
Use props
kannongoodman
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-8-29 18:03
There may be a chance that the 600 MW transmitter may be a little too powerful. For the sake of te ...

OK. i do not have an immersion RC TX that has less wattage. should i order one or is there another solution/option
2016-8-29
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

kannongoodman@y Posted at 2016-8-30 06:52
OK. i do not have an immersion RC TX that has less wattage. should i order one or is there another ...

Before trying a different TX, please try the following:

-Try to reseat the gimbal and Mini USB cable connections.
-Rearrange the immersionRC TX to better increase airflow along the bottom of the craft.
-Ensure that the GoPro's built in WiFi has been disabled.

The next course of action would be to replace the Mini USB port with ribbon cable, since the camera/gimbal is the component that's getting warm and not the VTX. You could look into replacing the cables from the immersionRC TX just in case, but that would be secondary. Given your components, that's the most I would be able to suggest since the video TX is not a DJI product. There are some customers that have been able to get this set up to work, which some of them may have discussions on other 3rd party forums as well.
2016-8-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules