Inspire losing altitude...
4050 15 2015-1-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jones5r
lvl.4
Flight distance : 105722 ft
United States

during forward flight in P-GPS mode. Not good. Once I let up on the stick it regains altitude. Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

P.S. Wind (8-12 mph) has been a factor on most occasions.
2015-1-28
Use props
mohnishjainkots
lvl.1

India

Yes even I have faced the same problem..

The moment i leave the sticks on the remote and the Inspire comes to a ideal position in air.. it looses some altitude and dips by around 1 meter.

And when it takes off the altitude in the app shows 0.0 meters and when it lands at the same place it shows around 4-5 meters. that means it has dipped by around 4-5 meters during the flight and it cannot recognise this dip.

Mainly it happens while flying it a more aggressively.
2015-1-28
Use props
alex.lute.gmail
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1842592 ft
Sweden

same here, a slight altitude drop by just flying straight forward...
2015-1-29
Use props
DJI-Autumn
lvl.4

Hong Kong

Hi everyone,

About the altitude drop issue, we still require your logs for analysis.
Send a mail to me and I'll send you the software. You may know my address already, atumn.a@dji.com
2015-1-29
Use props
airymok
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2623652 ft
Hong Kong

I think a slight altitude drop is within the deviation
2015-1-29
Use props
peter.hofericht
New

Germany

mohnishjainkots Posted at 2015-1-29 15:34
Yes even I have faced the same problem..

The moment i leave the sticks on the remote and the Inspi ...

Have exactly the same problem. Have you got a solution for this issue.
2015-3-20
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

peter.hofericht Posted at 2015-3-21 01:04
Have exactly the same problem. Have you got a solution for this issue.

I would think that the dip going forward agressively would cause a nose down attitude. You could go forward and give it a slight upward angle with the other stick? I fly in Mode 2 so the left stick will give me my nose in forward and the right stick give me an upward angle.
2015-3-20
Use props
peter.hofericht
New

Germany

rodger Posted at 2015-3-21 01:23
I would think that the dip going forward agressively would cause a nose down attitude. You could g ...

Sure, you are right, but when flying in P-GPS-Mode the inspire should hold altitude without steering corrections. If GPS-Mode does´t work correctly holding altitude  it´s a software or hardware bug.
2015-3-20
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

peter.hofericht Posted at 2015-3-21 02:55
Sure, you are right, but when flying in P-GPS-Mode the inspire should hold altitude without steeri ...

I don't know about that one. The GPS keeps it steady, preventing drifting. I don't think that it was meant to keep it level when you are being agressive in a fast forward attitude. Although it would level it when you came into a hover. You can hover at any height and it will stay level and in place. I could be all wet on this one? I am relating to my Phantom's and they do the exact thing that you addressed. If I am booking forward I always have to give it a bit up. You really don't notice it very much when you are up there in height. I only notice it when I am very close to the ground and have to adjust to it or a "Broken Arrow"
2015-3-20
Use props
markjacobs.talk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

The Inspire (and all other multi rotors) do not take their altitude reference from GPS. If they did you would have all crashed your Inspires the day you got them.
GPS data for altitude is woefully inaccurate and +/- 400 feet is not unusual! Do you really want your Inspire to not know how high it is to a resolution of 800 feet?.... Thought not.
These aircraft derive their altitude data from a small barometric pressure sensor that typically has an ancuracy of 0.01m or 10cm.

2015-3-20
Use props
peter.hofericht
New

Germany

rodger Posted at 2015-3-21 03:13
I don't know about that one. The GPS keeps it steady, preventing drifting. I don't think that it w ...

O.k. thank´s, but what´s the reason for wrong altitude in DJI Pilot App? During and after aggressive fast forward altitude indication is constant 10m in Pilot App but real altitude after aggressive fast forward is only 4-5m.
2015-3-20
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

peter.hofericht Posted at 2015-3-21 04:18
O.k. thank´s, but what´s the reason for wrong altitude in DJI Pilot App? During and after aggres ...

I don't know the answer to that, maybe Mark is right? I would have to pose the question to a DJI Engineer. I will have to research his answer not that I am doubting him. But, The Quad uses GPS Data to establish distance. For instance in the Ground station program the GPS establishes the exact location(s) to fly to. I  have a Garmin GPS and have had it at Sea Level and it has indicated 3-5 feet higher. Now, I don't know if the Tide is a factor? Also I would add that there is a correction factor receiver built in to your high end GPS Systems, such as what is in use by Surveyors and Military Weapons. The Radio signal uses a method of Triangulation between Transmitters.
2015-3-20
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

Rodger, you are correct in saying these things but remember that aircraft use GPS for location mainly and still need to rely on a compass occasionally. Altitute is measured in three ways 1. Above ground. 2. Above sea level 3. Barometric pressure. All three are relative to the barometric pressure and a pilot must set the altimeter according to the current barometric pressure. An example would be if Rodger flew his Cesna 175 to Denver and landed for an over nighter, he returnes the next day and a high pressure front has moved in. If Rodger does not adjust his altimeter to the current barometric pressure he will get an erroneous altitude reading. The same can happen in flight from one airport to the next, so you tune into the airport weather station for the barometric pressure so you can adjust your altimeter for a safe landing. This must be done every time a pilot flys. The barometer in our aircraft does not have the ability to be manually adjusted and could be wildly inconsistent if for example you are on the edge of a change in atmospheric pressure. This is what you would experience if all of the sudden it became windy or a line of clouds formed overhead. This has been responsible for many air crashes particularly small aircraft flying on visual flight rules or VFR. That have been caught by a sudden change in weather.
2015-3-20
Use props
doctrrf
lvl.3

United States

Yes, began with the 1.2.0.17 firmware update. Only happens just after take-off. For example: P-GPS mode, forward flight, starting at 6' -8' alt. requires up input to avoid hitting the ground at about 100' out. No further corrections are needed after gaining back altitude.

The ground doesn't look level but it is. The mix of low growing coastal vegetation is about 1 foot high.  Forward right stick only (until last second save).

Back to beta testing...
2015-3-20
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

I allways give it some extra "thrust" with the left stick when flying aggressively ... (Old habbit from flying "manually").

The other day I also noticed the alltitude drop ... But I was in GPS mode and hovering when it suddenly started desending ...
I watched it and let it drop about 50cm until I pushed it up with the left stick ... Again it starts desending ... We did this 3-4 times untill it got stable and hovered perfectly again ...
2015-3-20
Use props
areischauer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 257382 ft
United States

Had this happen to me yesterday.  I only have 14 flights total on my I1.  I flew it away from me approximately 20 feet and it began losing altitude.  Lost GPS several times as well.
2015-3-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules