3642 16 2016-8-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Staffan1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 67349 ft
Sweden

Hi all.

I wonder if you maby can explain to me what this weird sun flare or whatever it is called. i think the word is flickering but i don't know

see for your self. The incident starts at 00:20 in the video. There is some black lines that are jumping up and down in the screen when i facing the camera to the sun

Is my camera broken? or is just the sun? if it is the sun. How do i get rid of it?

I have seen several phantom videos where they was facing the camera right to the sun but there was no "Black lines"

i was shooting in 4k and no filters

2016-8-23
Use props
cayalag
lvl.3
Flight distance : 470656 ft

It is caused due to the shutter speed... try with a ND filter and it will be gone.
2016-8-23
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

More to do with the reflection/shadow from the props, if you lower your camera a bit and be aware of shooting towards the Sun this will help. As previously suggested using an ND filter and appropriate shutter speed may help.
2016-8-23
Use props
rapfife
lvl.2
Flight distance : 160102 ft
United States

You also have an issue with tilted horizon. Send to DJI for repairs.
2016-8-23
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Regarding the tilt on the horizon, make sure all firmware is up to date and all calibrations have been carried out. Then if it's still a problem consider getting repaired.
2016-8-23
Use props
Staffan1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 67349 ft
Sweden

OK thx all. I am going to buy some filters and try.

After fimware up date and calibrations due to the tilt on the horizon this is now gone so there is no need to being repaired.
2016-8-25
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Staffan1 Posted at 2016-8-25 15:26

After fimware up date and calibrations due to t ...

That's good news then
2016-8-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Staffan1 Posted at 2016-8-25 22:26

After fimware up date and calibrations due to t ...

Whenever you fly facing the sun you really should be using a ND filter.
They work great.
2016-8-25
Use props
wArdSUBLIsnT
New

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-8-26 01:43
Whenever you fly facing the sun you really should be using a ND filter.
They work great.

Hey guys, having the same flickering effect happen. Which ND filter do i need to buy? Can anyone recommend something good?
2016-9-29
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

wArdSUBLIsnT Posted at 2016-9-30 06:43
Hey guys, having the same flickering effect happen. Which ND filter do i need to buy? Can anyone r ...

The strength of the filter is determined by the amount of sun you will be dealing with.
2016-9-29
Use props
Relic
New

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-9-30 10:06
The strength of the filter is determined by the amount of sun you will be dealing with.

Thanks, is there a list of recommended filters anywhere? On a fully sunny day while filming into the sun should i use a ND 4 or 8?
2016-9-30
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Relic Posted at 2016-9-30 18:51
Thanks, is there a list of recommended filters anywhere? On a fully sunny day while filming into t ...

It does not matter, you will still get prop shadow no matter what ND filter you install. The only cure is not to shoot into the sun.
2016-9-30
Use props
Relic
New

Geebax Posted at 2016-9-30 18:56
It does not matter, you will still get prop shadow no matter what ND filter you install. The only  ...

I'm having other issues shooting in strong sunlight as well. The flickering black bars (im guessing that's the prop shadows?) and a LOT of grainy pixilation when moving the camera vertically. Was hoping a filter would cure that, otherwise i just threw 1,400 dollars into the toilet...
2016-9-30
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Relic Posted at 2016-9-30 23:23
I'm having other issues shooting in strong sunlight as well. The flickering black bars (im guessing ...

Well, the main problem is shooting into the sun. Professionals don't do it unless there is no other option, and then they go to a lot of trouble to use flags to keep the sun off the front of the lens and possibly graduated filters to deal with the brighter sky. But those measures are not practical in drone photography.

Better to keep the camera angled down a bit and avoid pointing at the sun. There ware plenty of other angles you can shoot, no-one is point a gun at your head and making you shoot into the sun.
2016-9-30
Use props
PaulL
lvl.2
Flight distance : 23898 ft

If you are going to shoot into the sun you might try starting your flight from your end point and ending at your start point and the reversing the playback. That way your props are tilted back. Just a thought.
2016-9-30
Use props
Relic
New

Czechia

appreciate the feedback. thanks guys.
2016-10-4
Use props
Air54
lvl.1

Try using a lens hood.  It will give you a few extra degrees tilt into the sun with out the flare.  But in all reality, if there is direct sunlight on the lens, you will get some kind of flare caused by light bouncing around inside the lens between the glass elements.
2016-10-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules