Phantom 3 standard, New nexus 7, DJI Go app crash during flight..
1619 8 2016-8-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
colnemac
lvl.2

Hi all,
As you will see from my info I'm a relative noob. However have some experience with planes and heli's from years ago.
Flying the p3s tonight, trying out the intelligent flight modes for the first time. Follow me - ok, p.o.i, ok. Tried the waypoint system, 1st point recorded ok, 2nd and 3rd, then screen on the nexus 7 wouldn't respond to trying to plot a third. Initially thought I was mebbe too close to the first point, so moved further away. Next time I looked down, screen was blank. Obviously panic set in lol, thinking it was gonna bog off over the horizon! But it just sat there, so flew it back carefully (thanks to the heli's lol). Next time I looked down tablet was rebooting. As it came back on, I restarted the dji go app, was still recording too. Dunno yet whether there's flight log there. Battery was about half full on nexus, full on transmitter, and 57% on flight battery.
Nexus 7 is a second gen 32gb, was new with fresh install of dji go. Firmware is up to date on p3. Nothing else running at the time.

Any ideas why this would happen? And the safety of such a situation? I know worst case scenario, I can turn the tx off and it'll come home.
Got the nexus 7 as it seems to be widely recommended to fly these things with.

Thanks in advance.
2016-8-23
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hello colnemac, actually if there is something wrong with your mobile devices when you use F mode, you can switch it back to P mode and use the RC to get the drone back. I'd suggest you to reinstall the latest Go app and try again. Also, some plugins or apps running in the background will influence. Clear the background apps before flight. Do a factory reset for your mobile device if necessary.
2016-8-24
Use props
colnemac
lvl.2

Shouldn't in theory be anything wrong with it as it's new with a clean minimal installation. However, I will check to make sure no background apps running before i fly with it next time.
The tablet keeps asking me to upgrade to the newer version of android but i keep refusing as have heard horror stories of it not running correctly on the version 6.

Thanks for the reply.
2016-8-24
Use props
wmcvey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

colnemac Posted at 2016-8-24 16:19
Shouldn't in theory be anything wrong with it as it's new with a clean minimal installation. However ...

I have the very same tablet with version 6 of Android, and everything is just fine. I'm a firm believer that your Android version is almost always best when up to date. Their updating the Go app all the time, so it only makes sense to me to keep the Android up to date as well. I'am sure their not beta testing the Go app on some outdated Android ver.
2016-8-24
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

colnemac Posted at 2016-8-25 04:19
Shouldn't in theory be anything wrong with it as it's new with a clean minimal installation. However ...

Did you follow the prior post suggestion and update your Android to see if it functions normally with the GO app?
2016-8-24
Use props
colnemac
lvl.2

As of yet, I've not tried it yet, didn't see the post reply until I got home tonight. I will do some experimenting over the next few days. I need be I'll let it update to version 6, then reinstall dji go and see how it gets on. I can always wipe the tablet back to the previous version if i have problems. Thank you.
2016-8-24
Use props
colnemac
lvl.2

wmcvey Posted at 2016-8-25 04:31
I have the very same tablet with version 6 of Android, and everything is just fine. I'm a firm bel ...

That is an awfully good point.
2016-8-24
Use props
colnemac
lvl.2

Another crash and reboot today, looks like I'm gonna be doing the update now to see if it helps..
2016-9-4
Use props
Kwaka Pants
lvl.2

Update. Updated the nexus 7 to android 6 - marshmallow. Flying today in litchi waypoint mode, bloody thing did it again. Last straw, so packed it up and took it back to the shop where I bought it, along with a mildly exaggerated version of the reboot and gps issues. To my amazement, I managed to get a full refund.
So now do i just stick with my phone, or drop a bomb on an nvidea shield?
2016-9-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules