Converting Flight Logs to CSV
31776 16 2016-8-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FlyingCircles
lvl.3
Flight distance : 76309 ft

I am revisiting this topic to see if anyone has created an desktop application that will convert flight log text files into CSV format to use with the Dashware Program.  I can't imagine that the only way to convert these files is by having to upload to some 3rd party website.  There must be some forum member that has created and willing to share an application to convert files.

2016-8-24
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hello, DJI Go app can also convert the flight records to CSV files. Just touch the share button in the flight record page and you'll see that on the right top. But currently I have't heard any desktop software can do this.  
2016-8-24
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-8-25 13:08
Hello, DJI Go app can also convert the flight records to CSV files. Just touch the share button in t ...

The Phantom log viewer at Phantomhelp.com used to work just fine until DJI started encrypting in the last firmware release so users can't look at it for themselves.
2016-8-24
Use props
FlyingCircles
lvl.3

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-8-25 11:08
Hello, DJI Go app can also convert the flight records to CSV files. Just touch the share button in t ...

Do you mean the flight records in my Phantom 3, or the flight records in my connected device?  Also can you explain the difference between these two files?  Can you offer or provide a link to a 'How to' tutorial on using a desktop to convert flight records?
2016-8-25
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Hong Kong

FlyingCircles Posted at 2016-8-25 19:42
Do you mean the flight records in my Phantom 3, or the flight records in my connected device?  Also ...

In the drone, there are DAT flight data files. In your mobile device, there are txt flight record files. What I mean is that in DJI Go app flight record page, you can convert the  txt flight record files to csv files.
2016-8-25
Use props
digdat0
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11896378 ft
United States

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-8-26 11:38
In the drone, there are DAT flight data files. In your mobile device, there are txt flight record  ...

The log which it exports is only containing two or three elements. The flight log has much more than this, and the recent change prevents many of the apps out there from allowing us to convert the logs. If Dji go had parity In being able to export all of that data, it would be helpful though. Can that csv export feature be updated to include all of the data from the log?
2016-8-25
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Hong Kong

digdat0 Posted at 2016-8-26 14:21
The log which it exports is only containing two or three elements. The flight log has much more th ...

Sorry I'm not sure about this. But I'll try to pass your idea to our developers.
2016-8-25
Use props
digdat0
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11896378 ft
United States

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-8-25 23:37
Sorry I'm not sure about this. But I'll try to pass your idea to our developers.

Thanks Paladin!

Here's an image of what the export to CSV exports now from iOS (it includes a tick number, lat/long gps and battery %).  

For those who are doing investigation of flights and the information within, this doesn't tell much and isn't helpful. Before DJI encrypted the logs, we could use some free apps to convert the flight log to a CSV, those included MUCH more detail, it had 180 unique columns in the file. Very similar to below (I only copied a few of them as example).

The reason why i want to be able to do this, is i am a curious bastard. I run a data analytics team in in corporate world .. being able to data mine my flight records is really fun, its interesting and i learn alot about the limitations of the aircraft. And for many of us who do longer range flying, it helps to audit the logs to see correlation of battery % to flight time to voltage to temps, etc.

It would be very nice for DJI to re-enable 3rd party apps to be able to convert the flight logs easily. It would also be nice if DJI Go had the ability to export those logs with all of the data included, so it could be data mined. I would prefer to export from DJI Go myself and not require 3rd party tool. Otherwise, I will find my self reverting back to older versions of DJI GO (2.8.1 on Android and 2.8.3 on iOS) simply because i want access to that data.

2016-8-26
Use props
FlyingCircles
lvl.3

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-8-26 11:38
In the drone, there are DAT flight data files. In your mobile device, there are txt flight record  ...

Hi Paladin,

I have not been able to find the steps necessary to convert the DJI-GO app text files into CSV files.  Could you please give me instructions on how to accomplish this or maybe point me to a Youtube video that shows how this is done?

Thanks

p.s.  My device is Android (Samsung Galaxy S6 Phone)
2016-9-6
Use props
InspectorGadget
lvl.1
Flight distance : 73793 ft
United States

Hello Everyone,
First Post, totally ignorant, but get the whole "encryption/.CSV from .TXT thing as I am in IT now for about 20 years.  NOT a Developer unfortunately, or a Data Analyst.  Has ANYONE come up with a way to convert these files form either their native or available converted format so that they can be viewed in a somewhat similar fashion as they used to be (apparently as I have seen videos of past) using "DASHWARE" or some such similar type of viewing software?  

Would be forever in your debt if you could assist.

Best Regards to you All,

A.J. Lebeau
Computer Network Systems Administrator/Engineer
M.C.S.E., M.C.P. + I., M.C.P., CompTIA+
Aj.lebeau@Gmail.com
2016-11-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

InspectorGadget Posted at 2016-11-29 10:06
Hello Everyone,
First Post, totally ignorant, but get the whole "encryption/.CSV from .TXT thing as  ...

Go to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.
The report it gives has an option to export a CSV file.
2016-11-28
Use props
Mamouth
New

France

Hello,

Logs created by DJI GO on the mobile device can be converted by the tools: http://www.healthydrones.com. You can get .csv and kml for google earth.  If you use Litchi and you have an healthydrone account, your flight logs are synchronized on healthydrones cloud.
2016-12-2
Use props
tnigon
New
Flight distance : 30 ft
United States

I am using DJI GS Pro and the only flight logs I have are .DAT files that I can only access (that I know of) by connecting my Matrice 600 Pro to my computer via USB and offloading via DJI Assistant 2. These .DAT files are encrypted and to my knowledge, can only be viewed using the "data viewer" in the DJI Assistant 2 application. The problem is that this data viewer is severely limited in its functionality - I don't know that I am able to do anything with the data from the logs if I don't spend more than ~12 hours manually recording the data points that I am only able to read by clicking on a single point on the graph. It just isn't practical and seems to be such a waste. Please, please give us the ability to export these encrypted files to a format that can be useful to us.. I can't even imagine a reason DJI would be preventing its users from simply using flight logs..? If anything, I would think it is potentially dangerous for everyone by restricting access.
2017-6-30
Use props
djiuser_hfjU9v0
lvl.1
Flight distance : 10840 ft
United States

Agreed.  I bought a Spark to check out drone photography (love it), but the Spark experience is giving me second thoughts about DJI. I've wasted hours and hours on wifi connections with both iOS and Android. I managed to fly only with OTG only only to find that my photos have useless GPS data, something that has been reported here and should be an easy fix, unless was deliberately crippled (like way points). I had a glimmer of hope when I saw export CSV on the iOS app, that I might re-tag my photos from the flight log, but the csvs require iTunes and a laptop plus a decryption app? I don't have time for this hobby!    I tried downloading the logs in the assistant app, but the back files that showed up had bad headers?
Ask me what I did for New Years weekend? :/  
2018-1-1
Use props
DronePlayer1897
lvl.1

United States

Remote GeoSystems has several -- www.remotegeo.com
2019-10-28
Use props
fans5bc381ea
lvl.1

United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-8-24 21:44
The Phantom log viewer at Phantomhelp.com used to work just fine until DJI started encrypting in the last firmware release so users can't look at it for themselves.

Thanks for this tip! I was able to find the DatCon tool through it and that's exactly what I needed!
2021-6-4
Use props
cheddar-man
Second Officer
Flight distance : 44062 ft

United Kingdom

I'm still flying my faithful 2015 P3A with the latest firmware and have no problem reading either the .txt files from the Nvidia Shield I fly with old the .DAT files from the drone.

Upload the .txt file HERE and from there you can download CSV files

2021-6-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules