Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Flight Raptor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi Everyone,

My PGY-TECH landing pad just arrived today and I must say that I'm very impressed with the quality.  It is a competitor to the hoodman, but a fraction of the cost.  This unit on Ebay is only about $25 (including shipping) and is 43.5" open and 16.5" folded.

Link to ebay:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/PGY-landing-pad-helipad-protective-RC-Drone-gimbal-Quadcopter-Helicopter-parts-/322206971014?hash=item4b05083486:g:vrwAAOSw0fhXmLgi

2016-8-24
Use props
mochorm
lvl.2
Flight distance : 940148 ft
Canada

Cool product, I can get rid of my cardboard box I carry around!
BTW where did you get those cool red "remove before flight" ribbons?
2016-8-24
Use props
wmichaels1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 694728 ft
  • >>>
United States

Huh, that gives me an idea.  My car's windshield sun-shades fold up just like that.  I think I'll use those instead.  They're certainly as large as that and appear to be of the same material.
2016-8-24
Use props
bob37
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260384 ft

I'll echo "mochrom".  What is that "remove before flight" ribbon.  I saw then before in this forum and never asked.  Is it a camera stabilizer during carrying?  Is it needed?  
2016-8-24
Use props
wmcvey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

mochorm Posted at 2016-8-24 14:58
BTW where did you get those cool red ...

I have the same ones, got them on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2016-8-24
Use props
mochorm
lvl.2
Canada

bob37 Posted at 2016-8-24 13:20
I'll echo "mochrom".  What is that "remove before flight" ribbon.  I saw then before in this forum a ...

The big bright ribbon is for those of us that forget to take off the gimbal protector
Just warning flags.
2016-8-24
Use props
wmcvey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

mochorm Posted at 2016-8-24 16:01
The big bright ribbon is for those of us that forget to take off the gimbal protector  
Just war ...

Same here, would forget about 50% of the time when I was using the gimbal protector that came with the Phantom. So not only did I get a new protector that was much easier to remove, also got these flags and haven't forgot once since. Cool pad BTW, I wish there was one that folded up real small so it would fit in my drone case.
2016-8-24
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I don't think I would use that sort of landing "pad".  It is too light and could move in prop wash or breeze.  Around here, it would probably blow off to the next county before I got back for landing!
2016-8-24
Use props
bob37
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260384 ft

mochorm Posted at 2016-8-25 04:01
Just war ...

What is a "Gimbal Protector"?  The one that came with my P3A is just a piece of plastic that falls off with no effort, so i do not use it.  Is there a better one i should be using?  
2016-8-24
Use props
mochorm
lvl.2
Canada

bob37 Posted at 2016-8-24 17:50
What is a "Gimbal Protector"?  The one that came with my P3A is just a piece of plastic that falls ...

On the P3P its a rather large clear plastic device that prevents the Camera and Gimbal from moving.
On my P3P it is tight fit and once on properly the Gimbal and Camera are very secure!

Problem is its clear plastic so it's not that easy to notice it's still in place, the red flagging is a great way to make sure one doesn't miss removing it.
2016-8-24
Use props
Flight Raptor
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Definitely cool product.  I made one out of plywood, but definitely not really portable....this one is great.

As for the remove before flight keychain.....ebay
Remove Before Flight Tag
2016-8-24
Use props
Flight Raptor
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

wmichaels1 Posted at 2016-8-24 15:11
Huh, that gives me an idea.  My car's windshield sun-shades fold up just like that.  I think I'll us ...

One problem with the car shades is they won't be held down from wind (when you are flying and nothing is on it) and also the downdraft when you land could cause it to blow around.

The outside frame of this landing pad is a pretty good weighted flexible metal that acts as a weight when your quadcopter isn't on it.

You could probably use plastic tent stakes to hold it down, tho.
2016-8-24
Use props
Flight Raptor
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

mochorm Posted at 2016-8-24 16:01
Just war ...

Yup...what mochorm said!
2016-8-24
Use props
Flight Raptor
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

bob37 Posted at 2016-8-24 19:50
What is a "Gimbal Protector"?  The one that came with my P3A is just a piece of plastic that falls ...

I purchased off ebay a very simple to install/remove giimbal protector that replaces the clear one that came with the quadcoper.  Not only does it hold the gimbal when transporting your quadcopter, the one I got also acts as a lens protector.

Example combo lens protector and gimbal holder
2016-8-24
Use props
Flight Raptor
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2016-8-24 17:36
I don't think I would use that sort of landing "pad".  It is too light and could move in prop wash o ...

Please see my other post.  The outside metal frame of this is relatively hefty.  I had the same concern as yours...I asked the seller, they said the frame would hold it in place during wind or prop wash.  When I got it, I was surprised that it was pretty hefty.....I'm confident it'll stay in place just fine.  If the wind was strong enough to blow this around, I think it would be  too hazardous to fly :-)

However, there is always the option of using platic tent stakes around the outside for added 'security':
Tent stakes
2016-8-24
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
United States

bob37 Posted at 2016-8-24 18:50

Mine only falls off when it is installed incorrectly.  You can shake it all you want and it will stay put.  Stock.
2016-8-25
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
United States

The problem with all of these gimbal supports is they don't lock it down to the drone.  The gimbal is still supported by the rubber hangers, putting stress on them at odd angles while carrying or shipping.  I'd like to lock it to the shell too, but that's off the OP topic.  ;)
2016-8-25
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

When I go on an expedition to shoot something with my Phantom, I often have to hike to the spot or ride in on a bicycle, and all I want to carry is the hard case with the drone in it. As this pad would not fit in my case, it is not much use to me. When I take off, I clear any long grass and create a small take-off area, then quickly accelerate up to about 6 feet. Then on landing, if there is no suitable place, I hand catch.
2016-8-25
Use props
185EZ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 396470 ft
United States

Ebay has a ton of them.
I got some from china and gave them to friends
I attach it to the gimbal protector on the lense since I forgot to remove that plastic one that came with the phantom
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Remo ... :g:1-UAAOSwcBhWZOp8
2016-8-25
Use props
Flight Raptor
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2016-8-25 20:52
The problem with all of these gimbal supports is they don't lock it down to the drone.  The gimbal i ...

You might wanna consider something like this one then....at least attaching to the leg does remove some of the stress off the hanging gimbal.  This particular one is pricey, but there are a few different styles of these on ebay that are cheaper:

Gimbal Lock

2016-8-25
Use props
Flight Raptor
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-8-25 21:04
When I go on an expedition to shoot something with my Phantom, I often have to hike to the spot or r ...

That is certainly a good point.   I will note, however, that there is a case that comes with this one and the case has a belt loop strap on it that you could hook to a belt or lash to the handle of your travel case.
2016-8-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules