Ok To Fly?
1369 19 2015-1-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
scooterlam
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4626 ft
United States

Just received my Inspire today. (Yippie!)
Is it ok to fly with the beta version of the iOS app that a few members have been linking to?

I'm so impatient I'm thinking of going out to get a NVIDA Shield just to get this thing going but hate using anything but Apple.

Also no Prop Locks were included on this shipment either...

2015-1-28
Use props
chrisgeigerphot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13046529 ft
  • >>>
United States

Do a IMU calibration on a solid LEVEL place.
Do the compass dance out in an open field.
Make sure props are tight!
Make sure your first couple of flight are out in an open field (not near garage doors )

Have fun, it is a great aircraft!
2015-1-28
Use props
vonbaron1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42014 ft
  • >>>
United States

I flew mine yesterday for the first time with the IOS app and all went well.  Just not doing anything crazy or fast without the prop lock and always do the preflight thing every time until things are sorted out.  Go for it and get the feel of the machine.
2015-1-28
Use props
scooterlam
lvl.4
United States

chrisgeigerphot Posted at 2015-1-29 11:00
Make sure  ...

Do I need to update firmware right out of the box?
Also silly question but the original DJI video said the motors were color marked for props (grey/black). Mine are not marked. Which color goes on which motor?

2015-1-28
Use props
paulkent
lvl.2

United States

if you look closer at the threads on top of the motor, 2 are more silver. (silver props); 2 are more black (black props).. i dont have the bird here, but one pair threads on clockwise, the other CCW. there are little icons/arrows that indictate the direction to tighten (lock is locked), and loosen (lock is unlocked) on the props themselves, right near the center caps

i've been spinning them down by hand, then adding maybe 1/4 rotation more tight by holding the motor housing and tightening the prop against that
2015-1-28
Use props
daninperth
lvl.3

United States

scooterlam Posted at 2015-1-29 11:03
Also silly question but the original DJI video ...

Try using a flashlight or something similar close to the motors to see the difference in shade. It is quite subtle

Dan
2015-1-28
Use props
shakyamunifilms
lvl.2

United States

Do you guys know, roughly, how many people ACTUALLY experienced bug problems to the point of crashing?
Or was it just a handful of unlucky quads owners?

I understand the issues with the props, and the risks with flying without locks, I'm talking specifically IMU bug.
2015-1-28
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

shakyamunifilms Posted at 2015-1-29 11:58
Do you guys know, roughly, how many people ACTUALLY experienced bug problems to the point of crashin ...

Not many.  The forums are filed with users that are unhappy.  Most happy users do not post.  
2015-1-28
Use props
scooterlam
lvl.4
United States

chrisgeigerphot Posted at 2015-1-29 11:00
Make sure  ...

1. What is meant but an IMU calibration?
My app says that firmware is up to date. Where can I verify that it's the correct version? (with the ios app being beta i want to double check)

2. Is there a way to control the gimbal end point? What I mean is can I control the tilt so it doesn't go up past level 90 degrees and looking up at the sky?

3. Lastly, when just viewing the camera feed via my ipad air 1 it seems to lag quite a bit and the feed gets stuck when just picking up the inspire and moving it around. What's causing this?

Thank you
2015-1-29
Use props
nscheffer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2078563 ft
France

Hi,

I got my Inspire 1 since less than one week now, have done 2h total flight with no problem at all with the latest firmware and the iPad Air 2.
Everything is working smoothly and i am very happy about my decision and choice...
Just need to be conscensious and to be focus for each fligh before during and after.
2015-1-29
Use props
InspiredOne
lvl.3

United States

"Just need to be conscensious and to be focus for each fligh before during and after."

Granted, I just took my first flight this morning, but what you said is at the heart of flying--from models to full-sized aircraft.
2015-1-29
Use props
shakyamunifilms
lvl.2

United States

DVPLLC

NO! DJI sent a message specifically saying that would increase the chances.

take the risk  by hand tightening the props or keep her grounded until the locks   (Mad raps)
2015-1-30
Use props
jebryant10.emai
lvl.3
Flight distance : 56112 ft
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-1-29 13:29
Not many.  The forums are filed with users that are unhappy.  Most happy users do not post.

I've had my Inspire one for 15 days and I've completed 18 flights.  This is the best aircraft I have ever had.  I've opened the box, updated the firmware, charged the batteries and did my first flight. I have had absolutely zero problems with my Inspire 1 since I received it. If I had to do it all over again I would.
2015-1-30
Use props
ElliotTeskey
lvl.2

United States

If I can offer some kindly advice.  The Inspire is very easy to fly when all systems are working properly however it is important to your success that you go thru the menus on the app and be familiar with all the features such as IMU calibration etc.  Make sure you know what everything does and what the settings should be.  Lots of good videos on you tube and good info on this forum also.
It is apparent that a couple of fellows have had problems because they are inexperienced with Rc flying in general.  If the GPS drops on your Inspire and it goes into attitude mode you will have to know how to fly without any help.  Quad copters can move in directions that other RC aircraft can't and the controls can appear to reverse depending on the aircrafts relationship to you.  This can create an out of control situation very quickly.  The simulator under the academy icon will let you play with this stuff until you know you can control things.
It is one thing to ding up a $200 foam RC model....it would be another to wreck your Inspire.
Not sure how much of this applies to you but I put this out to others new to this as well.  
This system seems to be working very well for many.....best of luck with your flying.
2015-1-30
Use props
Captain Obvious
lvl.4

Australia

Is this also a PER pre flight thing because the battery levels left would leave for a very short flight time after all these pre flight dances and drama's. lol
2015-1-30
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

scooterlam Posted at 2015-1-29 11:03
Also silly question but the original DJI video ...

Yes. you have to do the Firmware upgrade on the Inspire right out of the Box. The color doesn't really matter. Two Props are CW and the other two CCW. In other words, they will only go on the right way. Make sure they are tight and Prop Locks are reccommended.
2015-1-30
Use props
scooterlam
lvl.4
United States

rodger Posted at 2015-1-31 03:27
Yes. you have to do the Firmware upgrade on the Inspire right out of the Box. The color doesn't re ...

Firmware on the app says ok latest. Where can I check the version to confirm?
2015-1-31
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

Radio controlled flight takes a lot more understanding of its flight control systems and how they  work together , some practice flying a non GPS unit will adjust the Brain Quickly of  most non RC wannabe pilots and they will be humbled upon their first nasty crash ! So if your completly new to RC flight and you've Purchased the new inspire 1 for $3000.00 +  my hat is off to you for your bravery ... Good luck to you then .    It's not just some compass dance and flip a couple switches and go ....  
2015-1-31
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

daver/m Posted at 2015-2-1 10:14
Radio controlled flight takes a lot more understanding of its flight control systems and how they  w ...

Well put. I don't want to discourage anyone but, I don't want anyone to be disappointed either!
2015-1-31
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

rodger Posted at 2015-2-1 10:39
Well put. I don't want to discourage anyone but, I don't want anyone to be disappointed either!

Roger thanks:  I forgot to say what you did ! .... I don't want to discourage anyone , but I don't want anyone to be disappointed either ... Good words yes ...  Oh and  Go Seahawks !! It's game day
2015-2-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules