Critique Anyone?
3191 23 2015-1-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
svencool
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6690 ft
United States

I'm a very inexperienced video editor, as a matter of fact I just started within the last 2 months when I bought my first cheap quad copter with a hd camera. At any rate I have seen and commented on allot of great video's on here and was wondering if anyone of you would give me some feedback good and bad of course on what they did or didn't like about my movie and what I could have done differently. By next week I should have 6 batteries and an extra controller and will be wanting to shoot a bunch So any help you can give a rookie it would be much appreciated

Mike

2015-1-28
Use props
keith_d2.email
lvl.3

United States

I am far from being an expert, but I liked it. Not bad at all! Need to smooth out your movements a bit. Loved the music!
2015-1-28
Use props
dbeck.email
lvl.4

United States

Not bad. Not great. Try and tell a story visualy  Generally. You start wide shot.  Medium. Close up. Tilt in the same direction. Up then up. Not up then down. Confusing.  Keep shooting. You're on your way
2015-1-28
Use props
johnmont250.ema
lvl.3

United States

Looks pretty good. Maybe throw some cross fade transitions in parts like the fist cut, it jumps to another scene abruptly, and a fade transition is one heavily used to soften an edit.  You can choose how fast or slow and adjust to taste.  And if you time your cuts to the music that adds a lot also.  Experiment a lot, play with everything.
2015-1-28
Use props
JakeLikesStuff
lvl.3

United States

I would second a lot of what dbeck said. Also timing to music as johnmont250 suggested also. I liked the length of your video, and the length of each clip.

If your video is to be about Dayton, I don't know that we need to see the drone lifting off and looking at you. Just clips of Dayton. Instead of that lift off clip at the beginning, maybe a slow pull in on a "welcome to dayton" sign?

I don't know Dayton. But hopefully you hit all the landmarks you could safely grab. What the most iconic thing is about Dayton, I'd save that for the last set of clips and the last clip should be like a slow pull out on that landmark that slowly fades out to black.

But that's just me. I still think you have a nice video as is.
2015-1-29
Use props
MainlineAerial
New

United States

Great job! Just finished editing my first flight with iMovie. What program are you using? I think you did a great first job! Timing transitions to music is key to creating a more emotional connection but difficult with that song in particular I think. Look forward to future posts!
2015-1-29
Use props
svencool
lvl.4
United States

MainlineAerial Posted at 2015-1-30 03:17
Great job! Just finished editing my first flight with iMovie. What program are you using? I think yo ...

Well thanks and thanks to everyone's comments. I'm using FCPX as I'm a mac user and really isn't that hard to use. The music is a very hard part as trying to find Royalty free music to use on youtube is hard or at least for me. If anyone has any suggestions or sites they would like to share I'm all ears. I fly as much as I can with only 1 battery but have 3 more coming Friday. I don't have any oceans or anything of that nature around here so I have to work with what I have. I've seen a few videos on here where people where doing like Chicago and Honk Kong so that made me think of doing one about Dayton.

I was hoping people would suggest a good length for movies and suggesting on have 1 scene going forward and then next maybe backwards ect ect ect...

At any rate I look at everyone's and wait for you to post yours as well....

Mike
2015-1-29
Use props
zinkracer
New

United States

Music wise, I have used Sound Cloud and Envato's Audio Jungle.  Finding and using music takes a huge amount of time and patience.  When you finally find the right track, it is magic.  One event I did was a music festival.  One of the performers allowed me to use her music royalty free with just a credit.  
2015-1-29
Use props
zinkracer
New

United States

For comparison or whatever, this is one that I did as a compilation of scenes around my town.  filmed with a Phantom 2 GoPro Black at 720 wide. All before I got my Inspire.

http://vimeo.com/115145507

2015-1-29
Use props
JakeLikesStuff
lvl.3

United States

You can use a lot of pop music on YouTube with no consequence. They'll simply have a link to that song near the description. You can't do it with everything, but still quite a bit. If you check out their CREATE section you can type in the name of a song you might be interested in to see if that'll work.

That said... you can only use that sort of thing for hobby videos, nothing you plan to make money off of.
2015-1-29
Use props
svencool
lvl.4
United States

DVPLLC Posted at 2015-1-30 07:07
Ok, first thing you do is decide on the style of vid.   What emotion you want to invoke.  Many to ch ...

I did see how you tied the beat of the music to the clips that you showed Great tip thank you!!!!  I like your approach makes sense so if you don't mind me asking where do you get your music from? If you wouldn't mind trading some emails drop me an email at svencool@gmail.com Thanks again!!!!!

Mike
2015-1-29
Use props
johnmont250.ema
lvl.3

United States

^Looks like at least one of my clips is in the intro at drone video productions, looks like a lot of contributors,  and I guess I'm one of the 60 DVP pilots....
2015-1-29
Use props
svencool
lvl.4
United States

johnmont250.ema Posted at 2015-1-30 07:44
^Looks like at least one of my clips is in the intro at drone video productions, looks like a lot of ...

Congrats which is your video clip?
2015-1-29
Use props
drklion
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2712825 ft
  • >>>
United States

Here is something that may help when you are editing:

I had a professor who gave me an assignment to edit on a Moviola (film editing system) once.  The assignment was to use black and white film strips and edit them.  Nothing on them, no images, nothing just one black strip and one white strip of film.

The whole exercise was to get me to create a rhythm, a balance between the two.  Once you start creating a beat, a rhythm you have the bases of editing.  Everything else is eye candy.  Add music to the footage or edit to music with footage.  Cutting from one scene to the next or adding effects, etc...  It all starts from a basic balance, rhythm.
2015-1-29
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

drklion Posted at 2015-1-30 08:58

I had a professor who gave me an assignment t ...

Great advice and here is an example both master pieces of syncing film speed and effects. I dig the orange distortion put in place to establish the beat wonder what editing suite he used???

Sven great video way to capture the moment many more shoots to come!

awesome stuff sure hope to see more of this from you all!

2015-1-29
Use props
johnmont250.ema
lvl.3

United States

svencool Posted at 2015-1-30 08:51
Congrats  which is your video clip?

Thx, It's a short shot of a Dodge Charger @110 or so.  It's from a music video.
2015-1-29
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

johnmont250.ema Posted at 2015-1-30 09:12
Thx, It's a short shot of a Dodge Charger @110 or so.  It's from a music video.

Dodge Charger no kidding small world )  have two srt super charged challengers .Here is video shot with my trusty V2+  My New Hellcat delivery first one released!

Come to the Texas Mile all us Mopar maniacs meet up in Oct every year.
44 second mark they threw my car in Ran a 172.1 mph on 6 lbs of boost stock 392 water meth.

2015-1-29
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think you did a great job for your first time out. Develop your own style. You are definitely on track.
2015-1-29
Use props
svencool
lvl.4
United States

Colonel Angus Posted at 2015-1-30 09:04
Great advice and here is an example both master pieces of syncing film speed and effects. I dig th ...

VERY VERY NICE I really like the 1st one! I like the beat of the music the high dollar boats translates into high energy I like it!!! Got nothing like that around the corn fields of Ohio but I can work on my skills so when I do get to an area like that I'll be ready Thanks for sharing!!!!

Mike
2015-1-29
Use props
svencool
lvl.4
United States

rodger Posted at 2015-1-30 09:56
I think you did a great job for your first time out. Develop your own style. You are definitely on t ...

Thanks Rodger!!!! Well I think I learn best trying what I see others do at first then I usually shift into my own style. Just makings the learning process faster at least for me anyway I really do appreciate everything EVERYONE has added to this Thread

Mike
2015-1-29
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

have fun with it Sven!!
2015-1-29
Use props
svencool
lvl.4
United States

drklion Posted at 2015-1-30 08:58

I had a professor who gave me an assignment t ...

Thanks drklion that is great info for someone like me as I'm being self taught. Thanks for taking the time to help out a newbie

Mike
2015-1-30
Use props
TravisSRT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18326348 ft
  • >>>
United States

svencool Posted at 2015-1-30 08:51
Congrats  which is your video clip?

Mine too 1:35 the back yard clip
2015-1-30
Use props
svencool
lvl.4
United States

Thanks Colonel I hope to for sure! It's been nothing short of a blast!!!!! I've flown lots of RC aircraft over the years and haven't had this much fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike
2015-1-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules