Picture break up when using an iPad Air with the DJI Go app
3425 29 2016-8-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
geraint
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi All

I'm wondering if anyone has encountered a problem viewing pictures from the Inspire Pro on an Ipad with the recently updated version of the DJI Go app?

I was on a shoot yesterday and the pictures break up was terrible. At some points it was impossible to know what I was filming. I haven't encountered this before and I was always impressed how well the link worked, i've recently updated the firware on the controllers and I noticed that the DJI Go app was updated on the 14th August, has this update turned what was a good working system into an unworkable solution where you're having to guess what your filming? Is there a solution for this? Can it be improved? Can i downgrade the DJI Go app to the previous version that worked well?

Any advise greatly received as I don't know what to do, I have another important shoot next week and don't fancy working blind again!

Thanks in advance

Geraint
2016-8-26
Use props
DJI-Jessie
lvl.3

Hong Kong

Hello geraint, what's your DJI GO app version? The latest version is 2.8.7. And could you please provide a screenshot of your APP's video feed?
2016-8-26
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Be sure to enable " Hardware Decode " and also clear the Video Cache.  Was it a HOT day , this can cause the Video to get a bit funky as well.

Try another device and see if the problem goes away  as well.  Try the  above and let me/us  know

donnie
2016-8-26
Use props
geraint
lvl.1

Hi

I'm running the current version of the app 2.8.7 and enabled "Hardware Decode" and cleared the Video Cache. The only other devise I could try was my iPhone and that still showed the similar picture break up.

I'll send a screen shot once I fly the drone again.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

Geraint
2016-8-26
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Do you notice if the iPad is getting overly warm? Do you happen to have an Android device to see if the issue occurs there too?
2016-8-26
Use props
Insieme Agency
lvl.2
Flight distance : 420449 ft
Hungary

geraint@createp Posted at 2016-8-26 19:07
Hi

I'm running the current version of the app 2.8.7 and enabled "Hardware Decode" and cleared the  ...

Hello, Me and the lot of the others  having the same problem.

Yesterday We were flying with dual operator mode and the SLAVE RC can't see "nothing"
I will do a video in action but right now here it is:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5d3l1 ... PL1p9Uy0blM_Fa?dl=0

You will see the picture break ups are realy bad in NORMAL, when the AC is not in the Air.
2016-8-27
Use props
geraint
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi

Thanks for posting the video, that's the break up i'm seeing but I see it on the master controller as well. The slave unit is even worse!

All these problems have only started since the update to the DJI Go app.

Is there any way of rolling back the version of the app?

Dear DJI, you have a serious problem here and we need a fix ASAP!!!

Thanks

Geraint
2016-8-27
Use props
QuadBart
lvl.4
Flight distance : 256506 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm wondering if it has to do with the DJI GO App on the Ipad Air.  I was having a similar issue on with my Inspire 1 v2.    I posted here and people gave me some suggestions, like clearing cache, encoding, and rebooting the remote after the update.    It "seemed" to work.  But I'm noticing the same issue when using my Ipad Air on my newly acquired Phantom 4.  I cleared the cache and rebooted the P4 remote after the latest firmware upgrades...  We'll see.. But it doesn't seem to be limited to the Inspire...
BTW, all my firmware across my Inspire and P4 are the latest as is the version of the DJI GO App on my Ipad Air....
2016-8-27
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have posted this several times now to show what is happening with the video downlink.... I believe this is something to do with the camera FW and Go App

I have been doing some experiments with this issue and cougar1 has been also doing some great testing as well.  The current firmware does not allow a good video signal or operation in the hot weather.  80*F seems to be about the limit but the RC and Video HD signals are not reliable (bug in camera FW? or something else?)

So, I have the RC at FW 1.6 the AC at 1.8 and the Go app at 2,87  (same as cougar1)

I have flown 4 flights varying temps.  ((iPad mini 4 128 gig memory nothing else running in the background))
80*
87-90*
93*

1) 13min flight no issues at 80*F
2) after 10 min of flight video drops started at 87-90*F the last 3-4 minutes the video was frozen or not useable
3)  14 min flight and the video was great until about 11 minutes today at 90-93*F
4) Flight #2 today same issue (after I let everything cool down for 15 minutes in the shade  14min flight with video freezing at the last 3-4 minutes

I believe that the camera FW has some bugs and the DJI Go App is putting to much strain on the CPU to be stable in hot (warm weather)  

Please have DJI R&D review the GO App to reduce the workload on the CPU. The iPad is really not strong enough to run the increasing demands the app has been updated with or become (bloated). I like the concept of one App does it all, but I think we are seeing the limits of the IPad capabilities to be reliable in conditions that should work. Please note that I used to run the Shou screen recording app at the same time as the Go App without any issues at all. Now it will not run anything else at the same time.

Thank you for listening

iPad:

Camera video clip, notice that I could not see to keep the jetboat in frame

Rich
2016-8-27
Use props
b.renevey
lvl.2
Flight distance : 616076 ft
Switzerland

geraint@createp Posted at 2016-8-27 12:01
Hi

Thanks for posting the video, that's the break up i'm seeing but I see it on the master control ...

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem. Since last updates, the video freezes and it becomes impossible to work properly. I use en iPad mini 2 that worked perfectly before these updates. I have the problem with normal temperatures as well. I hope DJI reacts very quickly.

Thanks
Ben
2016-8-28
Use props
Insieme Agency
lvl.2
Hungary

b.renevey Posted at 2016-8-28 11:11
Hi,

I have exactly the same problem. Since last updates, the video freezes and it becomes impossi ...

Yesterday We were shooting a wedding and it was really bad sometimes...

DJI PLEASE DO SOMETHING BECAUSE THIS IS A BIG PROBLEM,

A lot of people are working with this donors and We don't want to lose our clients !
2016-8-28
Use props
Insieme Agency
lvl.2
Hungary

b.renevey Posted at 2016-8-28 11:11
Hi,

I have exactly the same problem. Since last updates, the video freezes and it becomes impossi ...

A lot of people are working with this drones and We don't want to lose our clients !
2016-8-28
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

Insieme Agency Posted at 2016-8-28 07:41

DJI PLEASE DO SOMETHING B ...

One thing to also try is turning off the Record feature on the DJI go app, Most are only recording on the SD card anyway , it takes a big load off the processor.  I have had mixed results from other members.  worth a try though.
I do agrreee there  is abigger problem overall that DJI must address.  

donnie
2016-8-28
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-8-28 12:36
One thing to also try is turning off the Record feature on the DJI go app, Most are only recording  ...

This problem seems to be affecting only the X3 and Z3 cameras from other feedback. R&D is working on something right now and just waiting for the release of the new FW. Turning off the record feature is about 50- 50 shot of helping. The best thing to do right now is to keep the IPad cooled off.

Rich
2016-8-28
Use props
tbp205
lvl.1
Flight distance : 364642 ft
United States

Today I experienced this too. The video feed was terrible.  I'm always currently on the latest upgrade/firmware, etc.  After the last upgrade a couple weeks ago, everything seemed fine, but today was awful.  I've experienced this kind of thing in the past, and usually a fresh battery will solve the problem.  Not today though.  I will try tomorrow to see if it happens again.  The one thing I did notice was my iPad Mini was warmer than usual (about 80-85 degrees out).  I've been in much hotter temps than that without any video feed breaking up.  Usually the iPad Mini will just shut down or say it's too hot to operate.  I really don't think it was that, because it still worked beyond the DJI Go App.  If anybody knows the reason for this happening, please post a solution.  

DJI - If you're listening, check into it PLEASE!
2016-8-28
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-8-28 22:26
This problem seems to be affecting only the X3 and Z3 cameras from other feedback. R&D is working  ...

I agree , I had my x3 camera on and experienced this , I had no problem before this last update.  I lost  range and picture quality.

I think I am going to do some tests at my test area ( to keep things scientific ) and see if a rollback on the RC fixes it.  I think the RC update is the  problem .  

donnie

2016-8-29
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

tbp205 Posted at 2016-8-29 12:27
Today I experienced this too. The video feed was terrible.  I'm always currently on the latest upgra ...

To clarify, are you using the Mini 1 or is it a newer version? Have you tried an Android device to see if the overheating persists?
2016-8-29
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-8-29 13:11
To clarify, are you using the Mini 1 or is it a newer version? Have you tried an Android device to ...

Jamie

in my case I have used the mini 2 and mini 4 with the same result. It is not the iPad device period!  I am thinking the DJI R&D is working on the issue, but the way you are talking in your post it sounds like you are pointing out user related errors.
Please tell us that your team is working on a solution, because this is a terrible problem right now.

The same device works fine on the P3P or P4. I believe it is something to do with the last X3 camera FW or a combination of the Inspire 1 FW and Go App changes

Rich
2016-8-29
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-8-30 09:43
Jamie

in my case I have used the mini 2 and mini 4 with the same result. It is not the iPad devic ...

It's an issue that has been reported. I do need to check that all possible troubleshooting steps have been done and that as much information is available as possible before grouping them under one root cause.

2016-8-30
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-8-30 14:18
It's an issue that has been reported. I do need to check that all possible troubleshooting steps ha ...

you are correct and I understand your position on the subject and we must not jump to conclusion's.

I feel that we have not heard anything official from DJI other than your R&D team is working on it. There are many of us waiting for a fix and hope it will not take much longer to get the new FW out to us. At this point, I am almost grounded now with my Inspire 1's due to this issue.

Rich
2016-8-30
Use props
fans73434345
New
United States

Has there been any update to this issue?  I am still dealing with it.  I am using my Samsung cell in the meantime.\
Thanks,

Johnny
2017-5-28
Use props
prb1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1496906 ft
United Kingdom

fans73434345 Posted at 2017-5-28 16:11
Has there been any update to this issue?  I am still dealing with it.  I am using my Samsung cell in the meantime.\
Thanks,

I'm having this problem too, however I get the break up on the HDMI output of the secondary controller.
Does that mean it's not a problem with my iPad mini?
2017-5-30
Use props
Donnie *
Second Officer
United States

prb1 Posted at 2017-5-30 13:10
I'm having this problem too, however I get the break up on the HDMI output of the secondary controller.
Does that mean it's not a problem with my iPad mini?

No, that would be a further indicator that it is your I pad Mini , try to get hold of I pad Pro  for testing purposes .
Waht are you using for the Master go app device ?  if that one works , try it on the Slave and see if it improves , if it does it is the I pad mini .

donnie
2017-5-31
Use props
Jeff Lambright
New
United States

Insieme Agency Posted at 2016-8-28 04:41

DJI! Are you even listening? This issue has been around since last year!   I'm on my 3rd DJI drone, 2 Phantoms and now I have an Inspire 1 Pro that flew flawlessly until I upgraded my firmware etc.  Now the screen freezes every time I fly.   It's completely useless!  I'm ready to leave DJI and fly something that actually WORKS!
2017-6-27
Use props
ronin rs211
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Jeff Lambright Posted at 2017-6-27 10:30
DJI! Are you even listening? This issue has been around since last year!   I'm on my 3rd DJI drone, 2 Phantoms and now I have an Inspire 1 Pro that flew flawlessly until I upgraded my firmware etc.  Now the screen freezes every time I fly.   It's completely useless!  I'm ready to leave DJI and fly something that actually WORKS!

I am in the same boat, updated the firmware and app and now I have a pice of crap all thanks to DJI
2017-6-27
Use props
MadImage BOI
lvl.1

United States

Im having same problem  and NO ITS NOT A IPAD PROBLEM !!!! ITS A DJI PROBLEM  THEY COULD CARE LESS !!!!!!  same with mavic same with  OSMO  same with all there CRAP !  Im sick of DJI not giving a dam !  YEA IM PHOTO BOI   read it and weep DJI KEN !@hole
2017-6-29
Use props
MadImage BOI
lvl.1

United States

HEY  DJI     YOU HAVE ANOTHER ISSSUE GOING HERE !!!   YES  I KNOW IMMATURE  BUT HOW ELSE CAN YOU GET DJI TO HEaR US????? HEY DJI ANYONE HOME ?????
2017-6-29
Use props
Donnie *
Second Officer
United States

MadImage BOI Posted at 2017-6-29 17:25
Im having same problem  and NO ITS NOT A IPAD PROBLEM !!!! ITS A DJI PROBLEM  THEY COULD CARE LESS !!!!!!  same with mavic same with  OSMO  same with all there CRAP !  Im sick of DJI not giving a dam !  YEA IM PHOTO BOI   read it and weep DJI KEN !@hole

Hey Ken is not an As---- by any stretch of the Imagination . He is very helpful and only works on the site to help members , he has no control over the updates and how they effect the System . As the matter of fact , he is No longer with DJI , He had to leave for personal issues .

I know you are frustrated but please be cool around here . (" read it and weap"....come on , dont be silly )

donnie
2017-6-30
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

I have a P4 and my Air 2 is beginning to break up the video feed as well.  The P4 hasn't had a firmware update in a long while, but the recent GO 4 seems to be behind much of the video feed issues now.   The GO 4 shows to be almost 1GB in size which is maybe too much for the Air 2 to handle with the minimal on board RAM it has.  Program is perhaps growing too much perhaps for these handhelds to manage and it shows to be the largest app in my Air 2.  Might be better if they took out the editor, simulator, and upload to social links apps and left those three to separate apps in an effort to get back manageable flying resources for these handhelds.

Only working option may be to go to the new iPad Pro with an A10X processor, and that may be the  only thing that can handle this matter if DJI doesn't fix the problem.
2017-6-30
Use props
noflyzone69
lvl.4
Flight distance : 240361 ft
  • >>>
United States

Donnie * Posted at 2017-6-30 04:32
Hey Ken is not an As---- by any stretch of the Imagination . He is very helpful and only works on the site to help members , he has no control over the updates and how they effect the System . As the matter of fact , he is No longer with DJI , He had to leave for personal issues .

I know you are frustrated but please be cool around here . (" read it and weap"....come on , dont be silly )

Who's being silly Donnie when you invest $$$$ in cameras and drone and dji just drags Their tail in fixing things as the mavic still after a YEAR hasn't fixed the water color issue. Yes you have it if you own a mavic.  
2017-6-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules