Fixing Cracks
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

I finally found cracks in the shell of my Phantom around the motors.  Thus busting the idea that prop guards prevent shell stress cracks  {:4_157:}

In any event, I repaired them pretty easily.   The secret is a substance I already had onhand for other acrylic / polycarbonate plastic repair.

It's called Weld-On 4

Turns out the plastic on the DJI Phantom is the perfect material that this works on.

With a hyperdermic needle applicator, you can flow a small amount diretly onto a crack and it will wick into the crack nicely, then in about two hours, fuse the crack back together better than the original plastic.    It melts the plastic very quickly on the edges of the crack then the two sides of the crack flow together then harden.    It's exaclty the same basic principle as steel welding.   Once dry,  it is unlikely you will ever have that same crack again.   It will crack somewhere else first.

Be careful not to fuse the upper and lower shells together.   Once done, they are ONE SOLID PIECE.   What I did to repair one motor pod was remove all the screws for that pod then slip a piece of paper between the upper and lower shell before I began the welding (glueing) so no glue would wick between the upper and lower shells.

This works very well and is very quick and durable.  If you'd rather not send your Phantom back and want to gt back in the air asap....this is it.   Good luck.

It's also a MOST EXCELLENT crack stopper.    If you see a crack just beginning, just wick a tiny dab of this on the crack.   It will wick into the crack and weld it back together stopping it cold in it's tracks.

Here's one link to the item on ebay....there are quite a few sellers selling it so shop around.
[url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/IPS-Weldon-On-4-Solvent-Acrylic-Plexiglass-Glue-4-oz-Applicator-2-needles-/122007661776?hash=item1c68392cd0:gNYAAOSwcldUZWru]http://www.ebay.com/itm/IPS-Weldon-On-4-Solvent-Acrylic-Plexiglass-Glue-4-oz-Applicator-2-needles-/122007661776?hash=item1c68392cd0:gNYAAOSwcldUZWru[/url]

2016-8-28
Use props
Bilzc10
lvl.3
Flight distance : 351575 ft
United States

i feel ;like this will be useful to have around. i was under the impression the prop guard mounts helped prevent shell cracks.
2016-9-20
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

Bilzc10 Posted at 2016-9-21 10:03
i feel ;like this will be useful to have around. i was under the impression the prop guard mounts he ...

If you have shell cracks and not from crashing, you can call 818-345-0789 in the morning and they will issue you and RMA to have it evaluated and repaired if still under warranty.
2016-9-20
Use props
Bilzc10
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-21 00:25
If you have shell cracks and not from crashing, you can call 818-345-0789 in the morning and they w ...

i dont have shell cracks yet. but would using this stuff on shell cracks void warranty? im still waiting for my drone back for repairs, and waiting another month for a drone over cracks doesnt seem worth it if this stuff works.
2016-9-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Bilzc10 Posted at 2016-9-21 18:07
i dont have shell cracks yet. but would using this stuff on shell cracks void warranty? im still w ...

What stuff would void the warranty?
And if you do get cracks, send it in and the turn around is 1-2 weeks.
2016-9-21
Use props
Bilzc10
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-21 10:39
What stuff would void the warranty?
And if you do get cracks, send it in and the turn around is 1- ...

Would using the "weld-on 4" to repair the cracks on the drone void warranty and prevent me from having it repaired another time? Since my current repair is going on a month now, I feel like (unless fixing the cracks yourself voids warranty) using this Weld-on 4 glue would be a good solution.

I wouldn't be able to go another month, this repair is already killing me. I can't wait to get my phantom back.
2016-9-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Bilzc10 Posted at 2016-9-21 23:30
Would using the "weld-on 4" to repair the cracks on the drone void warranty and prevent me from ha ...

Yes, if you do any self repair on the shell I would think it would void the warranty.
2016-9-21
Use props
Bilzc10
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-21 11:34
Yes, if you do any self repair on the shell I would think it would void the warranty.

That's unfortunate. Let's hope the shell doesn't break anytime soon.
2016-9-21
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

Bilzc10 Posted at 2016-9-21 10:03
i feel ;like this will be useful to have around. i was under the impression the prop guard mounts he ...

Yes.  If you want to PERMANENTLY fix the cracks super easy this is the way to do it.

I would never consider sending a Phantom back to DJI for this easy and perfect repair.
But then I decided to do all my own repairs.  Whatever the cost.   So none of mine ever go back regardless.

Just a personal preference.

I thought they prevented the cracks as well.   But finally one day I removed them and found small cracks.
It still may have help keep them from advancing quickly.  They were VERY VERY tiny cracks.
2016-10-28
Use props
billwish76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175495 ft

all the torque from the motors weight if the drone, pressure if you look you notice the moters a pitch slightly outward..then constantly changing rpm. thats alot of abuse. iv broke and engine mount in a cpl real cars
2016-10-28
Use props
Bilzc10
lvl.3

Cessna172 Posted at 2016-10-29 10:37
Yes.  If you want to PERMANENTLY fix the cracks super easy this is the way to do it.

I would never ...

I bought some of this for a reverse esc quad I crashed first day, hopefully it works.
2016-10-30
Use props
Temblor
Banned
United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-4-28
Use props
T3rdEye
Second Officer
Flight distance : 221844 ft
United States

Cessna172,  
How has the Weld-On 4 held up with fixing your cracks?  
This is the first I have ever heard of this.

2017-4-29
Use props
Salmonslayer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 100220 ft
Canada

Any news updates on the Weldon fix, still holding up, I'm thinking of doing the same and what type of guards u using
2017-6-2
Use props
Salmonslayer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 100220 ft
Canada

Was this repair o. A Phantom 3 Standard?
2017-6-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules