P4 Range reduction after firmware 1.2.503
876 4 2016-8-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
scarzee
lvl.2
Flight distance : 613406 ft
Australia

Did some more tests today.  Same location and after this firmware update the range is only a 3rd or less of what it use to be. I struggle to 900-1000M before it initiates RTH after signal loss.

I have direct line of sight all times. Will I need to roll back to previous versions to get the range back to how it was? The altitude drop issue never concerned me anyway.
I'd rather have the range. Why would there be a reduction with this firmware? Is there anything else worth looking at.

2016-8-28
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Try a refresh of 1.2.503 and factory reset, followed by the calibrations. That might help.
2016-8-28
Use props
scarzee
lvl.2
Flight distance : 613406 ft
Australia

thanks for your suggestions..
I calibrated compass after installing 1.2.503. I didn't do the IMU as it was reading very low in the green and didn't seem to need it.
Why would a factory reset help? I have not done anything unsusal in settings etc.
2016-8-29
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

scarzee@hotmail Posted at 2016-8-29 09:16
thanks for your suggestions..
I calibrated compass after installing 1.2.503. I didn't do the IMU as  ...

I believe it might clear out any spurious data that may be sitting in memory. It wouldn't do any harm anyhow. And you should always do a full calibration after an update. The IMU calibration sets the readings for level.
You could also try relinking RC to aircraft (a two minute task).
2016-8-29
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

So I am not the only one who has the same issue! I used to get 1.5 - 2 miles when I first flew the P4, now it's about 0.8 miles.

Now, I have to use the range boosters to get that range.  

The issue seems to be that the downlink signal has degraded or being reduced.

I wish DJI offers us a firmware option which eliminates all the add ons which were added later on.
How many people use the live feeds for example?
Also, the channels are not hoping as I thought they would; litchi now offers in their logs the channel in real time, (which is so critical to know which channel works or does not work in a particular area). It does not switch usually, even though it is in Auto. I did not count, but my guess is that in about 60 minutes of flying, the P4 switched channels maybe about 6 times. The P3 does switch more often, and it gets better range.

BTW: DJI GO does not provide the channel in the logs?

2016-8-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules