Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
ND filters: Screw on vs Push on
2596 13 2016-8-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
n3nman
lvl.1
United States

Amazon has a nice set of ND filters that push firmly on the existing UV filter on the Phantom 4. Anyone have thoughts about this vs the type where you screw off the UV filter on the camera and screw the filter on. They do not weigh very mutch but wondering if that might effect the gimbal????  Thanks.
2016-8-30
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Well whatever you stick in front of the existing UV filter will effect what the camera sees , and it may not be the effect you want i.e. internal reflections, chromatic aberration. I would also think about any grit getting trapped between the two, leading to fine scratches over time. So what's the worst that could happen, images that are maybe not quite as good as they could be, or maybe having to replace a UV filter.
I think from an imaging point of view a good quality screw on filter would be the best option.
If you're spending big money on a flying camera platform it doesn't make sense to me to degrade the images any more than can be helped.

My opinion of course
2016-8-30
Use props
billwish76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175495 ft

Personally I would say if you have a model that supports the screw on type do that I have a phantom 3 standard that won't support that and I use a press on type I do not have any gimbal problems however at times it will hit the ground if I have the filter on first cuz it extends the length of the camera slightly. Slip ons are great if you just wanted to take it on and off quickly and you don't have to worry about stripping the threads on the camera itself
2016-8-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2016-8-30 19:25
Well whatever you stick in front of the existing UV filter will effect what the camera sees , and it ...

I agree, since the P4 lens cover is screw on I'd just get a set of screw on ND filters.
2016-8-30
Use props
MicroFPV
lvl.3

United States

I have used the polar pro slip-on filters but I did not remove the original camera lens cover.  Should I remove this stock cover when using a filter?  Is it just a plain glass protector or does it actually have a UV inhibitor?  I have not noticed anything funny in the images.
2016-8-30
Use props
dak162
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2999472 ft
  • >>>
United States

The DJI screw on ND filters are phenomenal. I use the DJI ND 16 for bright sunny days and it works great.
2016-8-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

MicroFPV Posted at 2016-8-30 23:12
I have used the polar pro slip-on filters but I did not remove the original camera lens cover.  Shou ...

If it's a slip on, then I'd leave the screw on attached just to be sure no dust or moisture gets on the camera lens.
2016-8-30
Use props
gmccurdy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft

I have both types.  The slip-ons have a larger diameter and will not fit the 3rd party lens covers that snap onto the gimbal, nor will they work with the DJI supplied one.  Some report the slip-ons being quite tight too.  The screw-ons are smaller and will fit the 3rd party lens caps.

I did put a bit of silicon lube on the camera threads of mine to keep the threads from binding up at times and making for easier screw-on and offs.  However, the lube transfers to the filter threads and trying to clean the inside of the screw-on can become a greasy mess.  The slip-ons are easier to clean and don't grab tissue or Q-tip fibers like the rough threads of the screw-ons, imho.
2016-8-30
Use props
bayguy69
lvl.4
Flight distance : 944275 ft
United States

Save your money with the push on. The screw one is the best way to go. The polar pro are a great choice.
2016-8-30
Use props
PolarPro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 315682 ft
  • >>>
United States

We highly recommend using the Thread-on filters. With the thread on filters you are removing the stock UV filter (2 grams) and only adding a small incremental weight. When using push on filters the UV stays on and the gimbal has to support extra weight. For the smoothest gimbal operation we recommend using the thread on filters. This would be our Cinema Series or Gunmetal Series.

Whether it be our brand or another brand, go for the thread on.

Happy to answer any other questions!

-Jeff from PolarPro
2016-8-31
Use props
davidrseay
New
Flight distance : 155899 ft
United States

As a landscape photographer I try to put as little glass between the camera and subject. I would go with screw on filters only. The stock UV filter is very low quality, so your images will contain any imperfections from the filter. I use ND filters to allow slower lens speed.
2016-8-31
Use props
Lmt0286
lvl.1

United States

I've has the polar pro push on and the cinema series vivid screw on. The screw on ones are night and day better. I used the push on ones once and the were to heavy for my gimbal.  I kept getting warnings and took them off and never used again. Get the screw on and never look back
2016-8-31
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Personally I doubt that you will like the results. I would remove the UV Filter. You will encounter problems at different angles to the light due to reflections on two surfaces. If you try it please share your results.
2016-8-31
Use props
n3nman
lvl.1
United States

Well, made the decision to go with a set of PolarPro filters but I wanted a 3 piece set that included ND4, ND8 and ND16 not the PL set. Found out if you call PolarPro a very nice guy "Dan" told me just email him my request and they will make a custom set for me. Same price as the 3 piece set $69 plus they have a 10% off special going on with a free pouch and free shipping. $62 to my door.  Thanks for the help.
2016-9-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules