Is background music really that important?
2115 28 2016-8-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
helidan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459951 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Right guys, a simple question...

If your're watching a video shot by drone (subject largely irrelevant) which doesn't have a background music track is it really that big a deal? Does it subtract from your enjoyment of the video?

I do try to add some music to my videos but I often struggle to find material.

Quite often a common comment on videos is something like "great video, but should have had a music track".

What do you all think?
2016-8-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Personally I think it's much better to have music, I just use the ones in Final Cut Pro and even if it's a cheezy melody I still think it's better then no audio at all.
2016-8-30
Use props
dak162
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2999472 ft
  • >>>
United States

Your video and photos are your perspective. They are how you want other people to see your world. If you think your videos would be complemented by sound, add sound.
2016-8-31
Use props
malvern
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I make the video in my head when listening to the music. Then I go out and film it, then edit it with the music accompaniment

2016-8-31
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

I think music makes the video feel more complete, especially if it compliments or edited in time. I don't like silent videos.

I usually have a rough idea in my mind the type of music, search around youtube for something I like then download it as an MP3. Copyright doesn't bother me, they can slap an ad on my video.

But sometimes the song comes first, and I've got a few projects on the go where I started with music and building the video from that. Creating a sort of story board in Adobe with text and rough footage and then refining it.  
2016-8-31
Use props
UCLABruins
lvl.2
Flight distance : 488904 ft

United States

Would anyone go to the movies knowing that there will not being any background music?
2016-8-31
Use props
helidan
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

UCLABruins Posted at 2016-8-31 19:08
Would anyone go to the movies knowing that there will not being any background music?

Ha ha, they did years ago lol!
2016-8-31
Use props
virtualimagedes
lvl.3
Flight distance : 364826 ft
  • >>>

Its a big part of it and sometimes makes the video
2016-8-31
Use props
helidan
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2016-8-31 13:36
I think music makes the video feel more complete, especially if it compliments or edited in time. I  ...

Hmm, have you ever had any issues with copyright?
2016-8-31
Use props
virtualimagedes
lvl.3
Flight distance : 364826 ft
  • >>>

Youtube has a lot of copyright free music but its good to pay for a yearly sub to a website that produces steady new work
2016-8-31
Use props
helidan
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

virtualimagedes Posted at 2016-8-31 20:23
Youtube has a lot of copyright free music but its good to pay for a yearly sub to a website that pro ...

Link for one of these websites?
2016-8-31
Use props
dak162
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2999472 ft
  • >>>
United States

Youtube has a a large selection in the Creator Studio under Audio. There is also Free Music Archive. Just ensure that if you use music with a Creative Commons Attribution license that you give credit to the artist.
2016-8-31
Use props
helidan
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

dak162 Posted at 2016-8-31 20:36
Youtube has a a large selection in the Creator Studio under Audio. There is also Free Music Archive. ...

Many thanks!
2016-8-31
Use props
UCLABruins
lvl.2
Flight distance : 488904 ft

United States

helidan Posted at 2016-8-31 12:21
Ha ha, they did years ago lol!

LOL Yeah....but they had a piano.
2016-8-31
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
United Kingdom

helidan Posted at 2016-8-31 20:23
Hmm, have you ever had any issues with copyright?

Not really, often the video is banned in Germany, but everywhere else they just stick an ad on it. It tells you in your video list ones they have found with copyrighted music, but theres no warning or threats, they've done the deal with the owners to get the ad revenue.
2016-8-31
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
United Kingdom

The number of times I hear the free songs on http://www.bensound.com/ makes me laugh now
2016-8-31
Use props
colnemac
lvl.2

Only problem with adding copyright audio, is the ability to watch on mobile devices. I had a nightmare with one of my bike videos I made recently, loads of people told me they couldn't watch it, said 'video unavailable', yet as many other folk could see it no problem. Eventually found out that for some reason, while able to view it no problem on laptop / pc etc, trying to watch it on a phone is a no go.
Try it with this;

Most people can't see it on a cellphone or tablet.
2016-8-31
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

We are conditioned to seeing video clips accompanied by music, that's all. But it is not necessary if there are natural existing sounds in the clip. The trouble with music is that too many people choose completely innapropriate music. I will often shut down a clip because the music is awful.
2016-8-31
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2016-9-1 08:30
We are conditioned to seeing video clips accompanied by music, that's all. But it is not necessary i ...

My thoughts exactly.
It's fine to have appropriate music that enhances the viewing experience.
But doing that is a very different matter from simply adding any old music or your favourite song of the moment.
2016-8-31
Use props
helidan
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2016-8-31 22:35
The number of times I hear the free songs on http://www.bensound.com/ makes me laugh now

Yep, used that site a few times now lol!!
2016-9-1
Use props
djiuser_eeYPo0n
New

Russia

There is a good choice for background music audioluck.com
2017-9-28
Use props
allyssongemelli
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2562467 ft
Brazil

I try to find musics on freemusicarchive.com, but its difficult to find some goods to fit on videos.
2017-9-28
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

To me, more often than not, the music people choose for their videos is usually something I don't care for.  So I always have the volume down.  I prefer silence over something I don't like.
2017-9-28
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

These days you can use the real sound from the location, as recorded by the DJI Go app on your tablet, if you turn the sound recording on.  

- A new feature since this thread was started!
2017-9-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

malvern Posted at 2016-8-31 04:26
I make the video in my head when listening to the music. Then I go out and film it, then edit it with the music accompaniment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPDepEeabvs

This video was deleted?
2017-9-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

allyssongemelli Posted at 2017-9-28 07:20
I try to find musics on freemusicarchive.com, but its difficult to find some goods to fit on videos.

I usually make my own music. Not the best there is, but it is good enough for me
2017-9-28
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Wifey gives me a dirty look whenever I watch a video someone posts with music.   Off it goes.....
2017-9-28
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sure it is. The music however has to really work and blend well with the video. If not, it kills it.
2017-9-28
Use props
chandavi
lvl.3
Flight distance : 252290 ft
United States

To each his/her own.   I personally enjoy natural sound or music of some type.  Some tracks seem totally wrong to me but who am I to say?   Just keep recording and put sound on if ya want.
2017-9-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules