Compass Error - every flight
4316 21 2016-8-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ste_Photo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 389839 ft
United Kingdom

I've had my P3S since mid July and every flight without fail I experience numerous compass errors. I've calibrated the compass in fields away from metal, buildings etc even the controller, watch, phone everything. It will calibrate OK but in the air I will get a random compass error. The error can last anywhere between 1 - 30 seconds several times for each flight. I always fly upwind and keep it close so that it will come back in my direction and then fly it manually in atti mode.

Yesterday to be 100% certain it's not due to interference I went to the Peak District and flew it well away from anything. It calibrated OK and during the first flight I had 2 compass errors which isn't too bad compared to past flights. I wanted to fly further away so landed and changed the battery. I soon as I took off recieved constant errors so landed it after 1 minute 30 seconds. I am 100% sure it's not due to interference. I also use a real compass which always behaves and have double checked with my phones compass which also doesn't have an issue.

If I check the log files with healthy drones it says the compass is OK but does show the constant switching to atti mode. Phantomhelp.com shows compass and yaw errors. The MOD value appears to be correct even during an error. RTH always works even during an error, I've heard this shouldn't be possible as the drone doesn't know it's orientation. I also had it setup for POI and it flew a perfect circle even when it threw up a compass error. I emailed support yesterday but wanted to know if anyone else has had a similair issue.

Thanks.
2016-8-31
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hello Ste_Photo,could you please post a screenshot of the error message? And please sync your flight records and provide your APP email account to me. I'll help to check it.
2016-8-31
Use props
Ste_Photo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hi Mindy, thanks for looking into this. All flights are synced, my email is info@allardphotography.com The error message from the app during flight is a red 'compass error' message. Here is a link from healthy drones: http://healthydrones.com/main?share=ysFGPw

I've attached a screen shot from phantom help too.
phantomhelp.JPG
2016-8-31
Use props
Jarwa
lvl.1

Finland

I've had similar problems with my phantom 3 advanced ever since I bought it. It seems to calibrate ok but if I then open the status panel it says that there is a compass error. If I restart the copter after that, the error message goes away but I get similar random compass errors on every flight. Compass values seem to be ok every time. Once it gave compass stuck error or something like that when I tried to fly. That went away by restarting. This problem made return to home and other functions kinda untrustworthy so I emailed the support and they asked me to send the whole thing to be repaired. (After they checked the flight records I assume) UPS got it in Netherlands yesterday morning but haven't heard anything about it yet. (Repair progress inquiry doesn't mention it was received even though it was already delivered)
2016-9-1
Use props
Ste_Photo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hope your issue is resolved soon Jarwa. I am waiting for support to finish the paperwork and arrange for mine to be collected. Good luck!
2016-9-1
Use props
Jarwa
lvl.1

Finland

Ste_Photo Posted at 2016-9-1 14:40
Hope your issue is resolved soon Jarwa. I am waiting for support to finish the paperwork and arrange ...

Thanks! Good luck to you as well. Actually I just got a message saying that they have received it. We'll see how it goes.
Alright they messaged that it will be fixed in a few days time. "Right landing gear component" will be replaced. Most likely the compass which is in there. Looking good so far. Probably getting it back next week.
2016-9-1
Use props
trevor957
lvl.1

Canada

I recently bought a p3-4K and having the same issue along with other errors mid flight  ..I contacted dji and mine is being sent in today to be fixed up and I must say after all the bad stories I've heard about customer service I expected it to be a fight but it wasn't at all!  the lady on the phone was super nice and I waited 3 mins on hold for a rep and within a day I had everything printed and ready to send it away ..even tho it's a bummer to be having this problem atleast they are bring great about it and seem helpful ....Im guessing you did a imu and gimbal calibration? If so I'd call dji and see if they can fix you up
2016-9-1
Use props
Ste_Photo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Jarwa, that's good, hopefully you will be flying it error free very soon.

Trevor957, I also calibrated the IMU and gimbal. I wish I had phoned them now. They ask me a question via email about 10am, I answer within minutes and then it takes another 24 hours to get a response. All I want to do is have it fixed ASAP. Fingers crossed they will have the prepaid labels sorted tomorrow and arrange UPS collection.
2016-9-1
Use props
endotherm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

On this flight it seems you may have been flying over something which upset your sensors.  Looking at your map, it seems to be confined to a corridor between the red lines.   The flightpath to the west of this area seems to be unaffected.

map.png

Looking at the satellite images in Google Earth shows there appears to be some sort of manmade works on or under the ground.  Are these perhaps buried cables, steel pipes, reinforced concrete etc., or something associated with the canal?  Preparation for roadworks or a bypass and bridge over the canal perhaps?   The second image from 2013 shows the full area in question.
underground.png

underground2.png

2016-9-1
Use props
johnhumphriesds
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12999 ft
United Kingdom

I have the same problem, compass errors from new. DJI support UK very helpful.
My Phantom 3 Advanced arrived  in the Netherlands late yesterday according to UPS tracking.
Waiting to hear from DJI.
Hope to be flying again soon.
John
2016-9-2
Use props
Ste_Photo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hey thanks endotherm for looking at this and for all your effort, much appreciated!! It does look like there could be something in the area you've marked out, you wouldn't know from ground level. I did fly it further east once in a small clearing near the trees, but still got an error over the trees. Also tried miles away in another farmers field and same again. Final straw was a few days ago in the Peak District, 1st flight 2 errors which wasn't too bad but constant errors during the second flight in the same area, totally random.

I think sometimes it's a combination of interference and faulty compass. There's a guy near me also with a P3S and he flies his near buildings, car parks etc (something I won't do) without issue. I'll see what DJI say, just had an email with the shipping labels, but thanks again :-)

2016-9-2
Use props
Ste_Photo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

johnhumphriesds Posted at 2016-9-2 09:43
I have the same problem, compass errors from new. DJI support UK very helpful.
My Phantom 3 Advanced ...

Hi John, have you heard from the repair centre yet?
2016-9-8
Use props
Jarwa
lvl.1

Finland

I got my copter back on Wednesday but been sick for few days so I only got to try it now. I had to calibrate it 3 times (last attempt I was holding it above my head, which didn't help earlier) Closest metal parts were zippers on my pant pockets. Anyway, after the last attempt the compass error disappeared and everything was good to go. Flew two batteries to 50% and everything went just fine. Went to a distance of around 700 meters and max 100m height and all signals were full. Could have gone much further still. But it seems that the compass replacement fixed the issue for me at least. Got zero errors now. Got nothing bad to say about the repair service.
2016-9-10
Use props
Ste_Photo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Jarwa Posted at 2016-9-10 19:02
I got my copter back on Wednesday but been sick for few days so I only got to try it now. I had to c ...

That's good news, pleased it's resolved. DJI have just sent me an update to say they are replacing the landing gear, the repair should take 2-3 days. Hopefully I will have it back sometime next week.
2016-9-12
Use props
Digital DJI 7
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Ste_Photo Posted at 2016-9-8 09:54
Hi John, have you heard from the repair centre yet?

Yes I have heard from DJI
Mine has had the right landing gear component replaced and is on it's way back to me.
I hope this resolves the compass problem for me.
2016-9-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jarwa Posted at 2016-9-11 02:02
I got my copter back on Wednesday but been sick for few days so I only got to try it now. I had to c ...

Glad it's resolved. You can also check the compass status by going into the Main Controller Settings, then Advanced Settings, then Sensors and tap Compass.
2016-9-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Digital DJI 7 Posted at 2016-9-13 01:27
Yes I have heard from DJI
Mine has had the right landing gear component replaced and is on it's wa ...

I'm sure it will be fine after you receive it.
2016-9-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Good to hear you guys are getting your drones fixed and back to you. It wasn't all that long, and all is good again.
Thanks for posting the outcome for others to learn, if they have to go through a similar painless procedure.
You are going to have a lot of fun now and I hope you share some of your favorite pics or videos with us all. Good luck. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-9-12
Use props
tommy7
New

Norway

Bought a P3A a few weeks ago. Updated latest firmware (v1.9.60) right away and did all the mandatory things before flying. After a short time in the air, i´ve got the "Compass error, exit P-GPS mode". Did several compass calibrations over the next days on different locations (well away from anyting that could cause interference), but didn´t help. Did IMU cal, downgraded the firmware etc. Nothing! Finally i sent the drone back to the shop and got a new one. A few days ago it arrived. Drove to a remote location (So far away from anyting that resembles metal that i dont think man has ever been there...). But what do you know!? The problem comes back to haunt me!! Takes off, flies fine in one direction, but when i rotate the copter about a 180 degrees, the dreaded red error message comes along...again and again... Have read dozens of treads about this problem without getting any wiser. Seems to be no logical explanation for this particular problem? I´m a bit lost here in what to do... Anybody has any ideas here?
2016-9-12
Use props
Ste_Photo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Pleased to report my drone was delivered from the DJI repair centre yesterday. Tested it today and all is good. Flew it for 40 minutes and not one compass error and that was in the same field where I got several errors every flight before the repair. It's a totally different experience having an error free flight and great to enjoy it to its true potential. Charging the batteries for another go tomorrow
2016-9-17
Use props
Digital DJI
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Ste_Photo Posted at 2016-9-17 18:37
Pleased to report my drone was delivered from the DJI repair centre yesterday. Tested it today and a ...

Received my drone a few days a go and happy to report 2 successful test flights with no compass errors in the same areas I was previously having problems.
Thank you DJI
John
2016-9-17
Use props
sscott
New

United States

I'm in the same boat. I recently sent my P3A off to be serviced and as soon as I received it back it was needing the firmware upgrades, which I installed. Took it out for the first flight in months so I recalibrated the compass. Took off fine, but after a short time I got the Compass Error Exit GPS message, so I put it in ATTI and flew it home.  I put in a new battery, recalibrated the compass, took off fine, but again a few minutes in got the compass error.  I flew around a bit the next time with it flashing in and out of the error message.  I noticed it also did not hold an even attitude either. Today I recalibrated the IMU, the remote controller, the gimbal, and of course the compass. Took off fine but after a few moments had a compass error again.  Based on this several threads in this forum the problems seemed to crop up with this latest firmware upgrade. I'm flying over the same areas that I have flown over for the past year and I never had an error before. Just frustrating....
2016-9-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules