DJI Osmo mobile - compatibility
25828 59 2016-9-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

jamesburchell Posted at 2016-9-6 02:52
...and the iphone 7 will be better but you won't be able to use an external microphone. Major desi ...

You can't really blame DJI when Apple decides to make iPhone 7 different from other phones;  And please, DJI doesn't even know iPhone 7's headphone plug design when the Osmo Mobile is designed.
2016-9-5
Use props
jamesburchell
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31621 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-9-6 07:35
You can't really blame DJI when Apple decides to make iPhone 7 different from other phones;  And pl ...

That's entirely fair Thor and I get it. However - for the want of a USB/Lightning sized cut out in the end that supports the phone would have allowed for on board charging as well as mic connections etc - not so much of a criticism but design feedback.
2016-9-6
Use props
jaleaman
lvl.1

United Kingdom

jamesburchell Posted at 2016-9-5 19:52
...and the iphone 7 will be better but you won't be able to use an external microphone. Major desi ...

Aware that this isn't the answer for everyone:

By now I should think the majority of OSMO 1 users have become used to using off-board independent recorders (zoom H5 etc) and syncing in post. This is mainly because we learned very early on that the Osmo, while being an excellent gimbal, has probably the worst audio implementation on the market. i would suggest that for smaller 'fun' video grabs the iPhone 7's on board mic will probably fare much better than the Osmo anyway, and for anything that you really want to record to any higher standard could be done externally.

I appreciate that not everyone has the hardware nor the inclination, but it is an option that some of us are already used to, and there will no doubt be a lightning to 3.5mm adapter available, if not on launch, soon after.

DJI's response, however, is shocking as always. Looks like Osmo mobile users are already getting the Osmo 1 users' treatment. "If you don't like it, then maybe you shouldn't have bought an iPhone"
2016-9-6
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

jamesburchell Posted at 2016-9-6 17:41
That's entirely fair Thor and I get it. However - for the want of a USB/Lightning sized cut out in ...

Thank you for your suggestion.

I'm afraid that would happen any time soon though. You can check the picture of Osmo Mobile, the bottom of where the  USB of the phone will be is the gimbal, it's unlikely somehow we can carve of whole out of the gimbal; Or that will require a totally different design.

Also, most phones will have maybe two hours 1080P recording time, which should be enough for most users, since Osmo Mobile is obviously not targeted at professional users.  And it would be inconvenient if you have to hang an external battery charging your phone while using your Osmo Mobile.
2016-9-6
Use props
Lofty Visions
lvl.2

For those missing the tracking feature on the original Osmo, you can get a similar experience with this app for iOS: https://autoflightlogic.com/autoframe

Makes you wonder why DJI can't implement it themselves....
2016-9-6
Use props
jamesburchell
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Had an email from DJI today that said that the iPhone may well be ok with a lightning cable attached providing it is secure and can balance on the gimbal.
A 90 degree lightning cable may make this easier. Something to try when mine gets here.
2016-9-7
Use props
jadot
lvl.1

United Kingdom

jamesburchell Posted at 2016-9-7 13:54
Had an email from DJI today that said that the iPhone may well be ok with a lightning cable attached ...

@jamesburchell - do you have 90º Lightning cable or can you recommend one? Also - if it's for sound what is on the other end?!
2016-9-7
Use props
jadot
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Lofty Visions Posted at 2016-9-7 08:25
For those missing the tracking feature on the original Osmo, you can get a similar experience with t ...

Auto frame doesn't really work in the same way, and accuracy is questionable. Conditions have to be exactly right etc. It's a good shout though...
2016-9-7
Use props
jamesburchell
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

jadot Posted at 2016-9-7 14:16
@jamesburchell - do you have 90º Lightning cable or can you recommend one? Also - if it's for sou ...

I don't have one yet, but there are a fair few about on amazon/eBay, but as they apprear to only be charging cables, they'll only be useful for charging from a USB power pack I imagine.  I'm wondering if the bundled lightning to 3.5 adaptor will work with an iPhone mic adaptor to plug in any 3.5mm mic input....and whether that would fit and balance. Time will tell I guess.
2016-9-7
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

jamesburchell Posted at 2016-9-7 20:54
Had an email from DJI today that said that the iPhone may well be ok with a lightning cable attached ...

You might have success with iPhone 5s,5c or 6.

6P or 6sP is a no.
2016-9-8
Use props
nomad65
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Lofty Visions Posted at 2016-9-7 08:25
For those missing the tracking feature on the original Osmo, you can get a similar experience with t ...

Vertical studio provide this feature for IOS and Android for 15 pounds !
2016-9-8
Use props
Jimmyb
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Interestingly tried my work phone in the Osmo tonight. It's  a Samsung S5 Neo and the Osmo doesn't detect that the phone is there. I get the same result with the iPhone in the Apple silicone case too.
Not overly fussed as I don't have to use the Samsung in it but bit strange it doesn't detect the phone it has a black silicone back to the case- seems the Osmo phone detector isn't a fan of dark silicone....
Might be important info for others with similar devices...
2016-9-9
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

Jimmyb Posted at 2016-9-10 06:18
Interestingly tried my work phone in the Osmo tonight. It's  a Samsung S5 Neo and the Osmo doesn't d ...

Yes, dark colors may make the detection not working. You can either use a lighter color case, not use a case, or put a tape over that light detector. Later firmware's will fix this issue.
2016-9-9
Use props
jamesburchell
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-9-10 03:26
Yes, dark colors may make the detection not working. You can either use a lighter color case, not  ...

Sorry, should've explained better. The Samsung isn't in a case it's just the back of the phone that's black silicone. I don't imagine it would fit with a case on in any respect. I shall try some tape.
2016-9-9
Use props
Lofty Visions
lvl.2

nomad65 Posted at 2016-9-8 19:20
Vertical studio provide this feature for IOS and Android for 15 pounds !

It does indeed and we've tested it on the original Osmo with an iPad Mini 2. It works ok but i'd say by watching the YT reviews the DJI app does a better job at locking on to a subject.
2016-9-21
Use props
fansd8049ab4
lvl.3
Flight distance : 68356 ft
  • >>>

DJI is not yet Apple

jcap858 Posted at 2016-9-2 01:49
The first thing I noticed when viewing the release pictures was the absence of the turn knob for att ...

"... don't understand DJI's current stance on not providing them unless the want us to simply buy these new products in order to use these new features, i.e. more money. It's funny because clearly DJI wants to be like Apple. Apple has one of the most loyal consumers bases in the world."

DJI does need to understand both where Apple got its start, and where they are going to loose market share. First, Apple is now a monopoly. Hence, the fact that they're gradually abandoning their 'high end' custromers will nto hurth them as much as it might DJI. Apple was uoyed up by pros like myself who boguht their high end machines, and promoted them others over the years. It is this professional group that made the modern APPLE monopoly possible. However, it is also true that as Apple cuts out their high end machines (first their monitors, soon their Mac Pro vide machines) they are not going to be hurt as much by this because of the new user base of iPhone and iPad owners.

DJI does NOT have this sort of Pro support yet. It is certainly due to US that is not a mega company, but if it pisses off enough high end users, the NEW buyers of low and OSMOs and Mavics will NOT be enough to support their expansion. They are like a Chinese Apple, with without the equivalent of an altruistic Steve Jobs to maintain consumer loyalty. Apple steadily moved forward but NOT so quickly that it abandoned early adopters. Those who knew REGULAR new product announcements were coming (like yours truly) had time to sell off their old gear before the value of said gear was halved.

Apple NEVER devalued their previous machines so quickly that the last gen users felt abandoned. DJI has been not only leaving their older users behind, but are NOT moving some features into the older machines, because they are selling NEW SOFTWARE feature sets to their next level of buyers. BAD NEWS! Make hardware improvements the focus and as much as possible allow older users ALL of the SW features that the new machines offer. Let NEw HW specs sell new machines. This will keep the user base happy.

DJI needs to learn this fast ... or it might piss off a good percentage of older (established in the UAS community) users. THESE are the guys (and girls) who REALLY sell/introduce new pilots to DJI products.

Hope someone is paying attention ... who speaks English? (Bùshì měi gèrén dōu jiǎng)

2016-11-1
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

fansd8049ab4 Posted at 2016-11-1 16:11
"... don't understand DJI's current stance on not providing them unless the want us to simply buy these new products in order to use these new features, i.e. more money. It's funny because clearly DJI wants to be like Apple. Apple has one of the most loyal consumers bases in the world."
DJI does need to understand both where Apple got its start, and where they are going to loose market share. First, Apple is now a monopoly. Hence, the fact that they're gradually abandoning their 'high end' custromers will nto hurth them as much as it might DJI. Apple was uoyed up by pros like myself who boguht their high end machines, and promoted them others over the years. It is this professional group that made the modern APPLE monopoly possible. However, it is also true that as Apple cuts out their high end machines (first their monitors, soon their Mac Pro vide machines) they are not going to be hurt as much by this because of the new user base of iPhone and iPad owners. DJI does NOT have this sort of Pro support yet. It is certainly due to US that is not a mega company, but if it pisses off enough high end users, the NEW buyers of low and OSMOs and Mavics will NOT be enough to support their expansion. They are like a Chinese Apple, with without the equivalent of an altruistic Steve Jobs to maintain consumer loyalty. Apple steadily moved forward but NOT so quickly that it abandoned early adopters. Those who knew REGULAR new product announcements were coming (like yours truly) had time to sell off their old gear before the value of said gear was halved.
Apple NEVER devalued their previous machines so quickly that the last gen users felt abandoned. DJI has been not only leaving their older users behind, but are NOT moving some features into the older machines, because they are selling NEW SOFTWARE feature sets to their next level of buyers. BAD NEWS! Make hardware improvements the focus and as much as possible allow older users ALL of the SW features that the new machines offer. Let NEw HW specs sell new machines. This will keep the user base happy.

"Apple NEVER devalued their previous machines so quickly that the last gen users felt abandoned. "

Samsung phones devalue as much as 40% a year with new models released. Compare this with iPhone.  Yet it's still a great company.  It's just different business practice.
2016-12-22
Use props
Arty_B_Balanced
New

United States

The DJI Osmo mobile is a solid unit and does not separate. DJI just released a new product called Zenmuse 1 and that is just at the gimbal arm on top which will attach to the Osmo handle. Here is a video
2017-1-6
Use props
fans1a4cb647
lvl.1
United States

charging cable
2017-2-9
Use props
Marcus Potter
New
Flight distance : 131 ft
United Kingdom

Thanks All for comments on this thread!

As.a newbie to considering 'Osmo' related products, I've been researching today, possible set ups. I've ruled out Osmo Mobile, (fortunately, googled to check if it was one product or detachable). Then, Googled for interchangeable options (found the M1) and then this informative review (See youtube: DJI ZENMUSE M1 - The ULTIMATE Review (via @Osmatips)

Would be grateful for any advice opinions - if my understanding is correct...?
I'm thinking probable best entry level for 'budget' pro use with some future proof baseline, using with iPhone 6s or Google Pixar could be around the following?

- Osmo+ with Z-Axis (advantage for entry level optical zoom shots/3 axis stabilisation)
- Zenmuse M1(so can interchange for use active track/other features on mobile, including need for Portrait footage for Instagram/Snapchat work I produce for clients)
- Misc accessories, Osmo Vehicle Mount/locking arm, possibly Osmo Extension Rod, some external mic down the line (however quality or Audio isn't a needed requirement, as edited in post with music)
- View to upgrading to high quality camera in future.

Can anyone see any flaws in this plan? (non related, I also have a MavicPro, used to create mixture of shots with above kit)
Thanks in advance!
2017-9-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules