Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nooky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 86106 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Hello,

I have just read about the new DJI OSMO Mobile which was released some hours ago!
I already own the DJI OSMO (not the OSMO+). I wonder if the DJI Osmo can nbe upgraded to the DJI Osmo mobile..

But i have read here in an article / review, that the DJI Osmo mobile seems to be only one big part. The gimbal part is no longer removable.. so it seems not to be possible to just keep the regular OSMO grip and only buy the mobile gimbal part for a few Euro - right?

Furthermore it uses Bluetooth instead of WLAN - which also seems to be a showbreaker for swaping / changing only the gimbal part..

Am I correct? So it is not possible to re-use the "old" Osmo?

greetings..

2016-9-1
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

The Osmo Mobile is a complete unit and the gimbal cannot be removed.
2016-9-1
Use props
Mafia16
First Officer
Flight distance : 26490948 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-1 06:49
The Osmo Mobile is a complete unit and the gimbal cannot be removed.

wow bummer it will be better if they made a gimbal for the old osmo
2016-9-1
Use props
nomad65
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Wow , you people at DJI don't mess about , a double whammy , two new Osmo products in the same week neither of which are compatible with the original Osmo , which is less than a year old .

Have you any idea how much you are messing with you're loyal customers heads , by the way , the customers that have supported you from day one and invested thousands on flagship products to pay for Research and development , company growth and your wages .

Own the Osmo , also own S900 Spreading wings , which again you stopped pretty much all support on . While you concentrate all your efforts on you're Toy range of quads , leaving us Pro pilots in the lurch .

What gives DJI ?

Feeling a little angry and betrayed !
2016-9-1
Use props
luiggiberrios.g
lvl.2
Flight distance : 377238 ft
United States

Are all this features like the active tracking are gonna be released in the DJI Go app so that the Osmo Users can use it?
2016-9-1
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Mafia16 Posted at 2016-9-1 19:16

I'm sorry that it's a complete unit.
But at a really great price, many will add it to their collection.
2016-9-1
Use props
tedrosenberger
lvl.2
Flight distance : 23665 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-1 09:58
I'm sorry that it's a complete unit.
But at a really great price, many will add it to their collec ...

Ken, I understand about the Osmo M but can you confirm that the current Osmo handle will not work with the new "plus" camera with the zoom lens?  I don't see the camera sold separately but I'm hoping to be able to buy just the camera as I already own 3 osmos!
2016-9-1
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

I guess that's the end of product development for the standard Osmo, nothing new is going work with it and it feels like DJI are doing everything they can to sell as many osmo handles as they can. Even to the point of glueing the connectors shut.

Seriously tho, I bought into DJI because it appeared they were going down a modular road. Using your inspire camera on an osmo, x5 working on both. But now you've p***** all over that, nothing works with anything else anymore.

I think someone over ordered the handles, and now they need to get rid of them as quick as possible so come up with a couple of new incompatible products.

Arrrgghhhhhh!!!!! DJI
2016-9-1
Use props
WillBapta
lvl.2

United States

It was bound to happen like the technology in any camera device. You can't simply upgrade forever.
2016-9-1
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

WillBapta Posted at 2016-9-1 17:28
It was bound to happen like the technology in any camera device. You can't simply upgrade forever.

Forever? The Osmo is a pretty new product line, less than a year? I've not had a single upgrade or new feature yet! It smells bad to me.
2016-9-1
Use props
LenMiddx
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I'd be happy if they spent some time on getting out fixes for problems with the Osmo Mk I that we all know about.
2016-9-1
Use props
jcap858
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1949820 ft
  • >>>
United States

The first thing I noticed when viewing the release pictures was the absence of the turn knob for attaching the gimbal to the Osmo handle. I realized then that it was a complete unit and that current Osmo owners would not be able to use this. From a hardware stand point I don't care for this, because the X3 and most certainly the X5 will out perform camera phones simply due to sensor size. So using a camera phone seems to be a step backwards for me, I own both the X3 and X5. The Osmo Mobile is meant to compete against products like Feiyu Tech's G4 pro gimbal, which is priced at $300 as well.

However, from a software stand point, there are features that current Osmo users could really use and DJI could easily implement.  I don't understand DJI's current stance on not providing them unless the want us to simply buy these new products in order to use these new features, i.e. more money. It's funny because clearly DJI wants to be like Apple. Apple has one of the most loyal consumers bases in the world. They support their customers. I understand that technology eventually becomes obsolete but the original Osmo is not even a year old. In 2016 I have spent $7,000 on DJI products alone. Starting from this point forward I will not spend a single dollar more on DJI products until I see a change in their support for current users, especially Osmo users. I'll use what I have, Osmo Pro and Phantom 4, but for future tech I'll go to a company that won't abandon a product I purchased less than a year ago.

Examples
- Inspire 1 X5 focus peaking. Osmo X5 no focus peaking
- Osmo + motion time lapse. Regular Osmo regular time lapse
- Osmo mobile active track. Regular Osmo, I saw in another thread that this feature is only available on the Osmo mobile.

2016-9-1
Use props
nwhit
lvl.3
Flight distance : 374 ft
United States

Active Track already available for Osmo with AutoFrame.
2016-9-1
Use props
USUAVMedia
lvl.2

United States

nwhit Posted at 2016-9-2 02:28
Active Track already available for Osmo with AutoFrame.

As I said in the other post.....We should not have to pay $10 to another company and use their app to film, when DJI just released the feature on a lower end product
2016-9-1
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

tedrosenberger Posted at 2016-9-1 23:32
Ken, I understand about the Osmo M but can you confirm that the current Osmo handle will not work  ...

Correct, the Osmo Mobile is a stand alone unit with a fixed gimbal and cannot be removed.
2016-9-1
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2016-9-2 00:19
I guess that's the end of product development for the standard Osmo, nothing new is going work with  ...

No at all, this is new stand alone product. And it operates on Bluetooth whereas the others are WiFi.
2016-9-1
Use props
adambussey
lvl.1
United Kingdom

tedrosenberger Posted at 2016-9-1 16:32
Ken, I understand about the Osmo M but can you confirm that the current Osmo handle will not work  ...

the X3 zoom says on it's product page that it is compatible with the osmo handle
2016-9-1
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

adambussey Posted at 2016-9-2 05:18
the X3 zoom says on it's product page that it is compatible with the osmo handle

Correct, it's compatible with the Osmo handle, but not the Osmo Mobile as the gimbal and handle are one unit and the gimbal does not detach from the handle.
2016-9-1
Use props
terrierist
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I agree with a lot of the comments above, like many I am (have been) a loyal DJI customer and respect your decision to branch out into new technologies and bring new products to your target market. Please don't forget that you have a customer base that has supported you for quite a few years and these software / feature updates to DJI Go etc should be made to us all, if the product allows it.

We have been waiting for the long lauded firmware update for a few months now, I guess you were busy getting ready to launch new products and as others have said, forgot about the old ones.

I was thinking about ordering a P4 or even an Inspire until recently to replace my 'ageing' P3P, now I won't.

Sort it out DJI
2016-9-1
Use props
terrierist
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2016-9-1 17:19
I guess that's the end of product development for the standard Osmo, nothing new is going work with  ...

Mate, I'm with you, I've been loyal to DJI but this has just boiled my p1$$.
2016-9-1
Use props
uptowndisco
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7394987 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Why also is the Z3 Inspire zoom not compatible with Osmo ?  , in fact It does not work properly even on the Inspire !
GO view feed always freezes , how can you zoom a subject when you cannot see it in frame , DJI need to get its act together
and make sure they have proper working software for all this new hard ware . yes I am pissed off along with a lot of other
loyal DJI buyers , but will not be loyal for much longer the way things are heading.
2016-9-1
Use props
alvintoro
lvl.2

So DJI adds insult to injury by adding even more fragmentation to their product line. I'm all about moving the innovation needle forward but you can't alienate all those that got you to where you are in the process. You guys are out of control with all these incoherent product releases. You have hardly debugged your first generation Osmo to where it barely works as advertised and have the audacity to put out a new updated Osmo+ who's only real value is the features that you for the longest time said would go into the product we already own! Now, a whole hour and a half later you rock, paper, scissor the decision to put out a completely new Osmo Mobile that is totally incompatible with all of the above yet shares most of its features. Please stop throwing everything against the wall to see what sticks. You have a good foundation to create a second to none modular camera system. Start by fixing what you already have out on the wild and keep building on top of that. Yes keep up with putting out new products. Release a new one twice a month for all I care. But make sure there is a logical, well defined upgrade path for your current customers and make sure there is enough value and separation between products to justify it. I will very gladly keep handing you over my money. You just need to make sure there's is a compelling reason for me to do so.
2016-9-1
Use props
Lofty Visions
lvl.2

Australia

DJI, can you confirm the output resolution of time lapse videos please. Hopefully it's above 720p or I'm giving it a miss
2016-9-1
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

luiggiberrios.g Posted at 2016-9-1 20:51
Are all this features like the active tracking are gonna be released in the DJI Go app so that the O ...

Sorry, but no.  DJI Go will recognize that it's an Osmo and it doesn't support active track
2016-9-1
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

Lofty Visions Posted at 2016-9-2 08:58
DJI, can you confirm the output resolution of time lapse videos please. Hopefully it's above 720p or ...

Hi, it's up to your phone's camera and can go as high as 4K
2016-9-1
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

Mafia16 Posted at 2016-9-1 19:16

Hi, there's actually one feature that's easy to overlook,

The Osmo Mobile uses bluetooth to transmit command inputs from handle and gimbal to phone, and it saves a lot of battery than Wifi, which is what Osmo uses. That's one of the reason that Osmo mobile has a 4hour+ using time with a single battery, compared with original Osmo's 20+ minutes time.

But the original Osmo doesn't have a bluetooth receptor, that's why
2016-9-2
Use props
Lofty Visions
lvl.2

Australia

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-9-2 15:53
Hi, it's up to your phone's camera and can go as high as 4K

Thank you. Definitely sold on this but will be buying local rather than ordering direct after the shipping delays of original Osmo and accessories
2016-9-2
Use props
nomad65
lvl.3

United Kingdom

DJI ,

do you not understand your customers frustration over all this , have just also noticed your post above that the Osmo + has 4+hours on a standard battery , while us with the original Osmo are struggling to get 20 minutes , hence the reason i personally purchased several extra batteries and the battery extender .

I'm all for innovation and moving forward but DJI are merely using customers as an extended research and development team with all our feedback and getting royally shafted in return .

DJI you need to have a word with yourself , the old saying the customer is always right , only works if you have customers !

You might want to bear that in mind .
2016-9-2
Use props
Ulysse
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1389931 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

jcap858 Posted at 2016-9-1 19:49
The first thing I noticed when viewing the release pictures was the absence of the turn knob for att ...

iPhone 6s 4K videos are far better than anything the X3 will ever produce !
Having a bigger sensor is nice if the signal processing is good, which is not the case for the P3, P4, X3 and so on.
ISO which you can change by full IL only (and not 1/3 IL) is just an example showing DJI don't know anything about photography.

2016-9-2
Use props
Ulysse
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1389931 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-9-2 09:49
Sorry, but no.  DJI Go will recognize that it's an Osmo and it doesn't support active track

Sorry but this is wrong : Osmo don't have to support anything related to Active Track as this is done by the phone (the same way on the P4 it is done by the tablet and not the P4 itself).
And the proof of this is that the Osmo mobile camera is the phone itself !
Not being able to Active track or make motion timelapse with the 1st gen Osmo is a marketing choice, not a technical limitation.
2016-9-2
Use props
jflamm
lvl.1
United States

Ulysse Posted at 2016-9-2 06:58
Sorry but this is wrong : Osmo don't have to support anything related to Active Track as this is d ...

It most likely is a technical limitation since on the Osmo mobile the frame buffer for video is directly accessible with no delay on the DJI Go App and this makes it possible to do object tracking.  The feedback to move the gimbal are then sent via Bluetooth LE and this does not take much data and can be done quickly.  For the Osmo the image has to be transferred via WiFi to the phone at a lower resolution.  This introduces a delay and the resolution is lower - both of which would impact the tracking algorithm.
2016-9-2
Use props
jaleaman
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Ulysse Posted at 2016-9-2 14:58
Sorry but this is wrong : Osmo don't have to support anything related to Active Track as this is d ...

Crippling the Osmo 1 so you have to buy the new unit is what this is about. The Active Tracking feature is surely a software upgrade for Osmo 1, but they've got to try to get you to spend more anyway.

From what I can tell it's about identifiers in the software. DJIgo sees Osmo Mobile which is the key to the door for Active Tracking. DJIGo see's the Osmo 1 so doesn't activate the new feature. Surely the Osmo 1 can (in theory) match the performance of the Mobile and cope with the tracking?

DJI's response here is typically dismissive. "No. The Osmo doesn't have this feature" or "The original Osmo is different that Osmo Mobile!"

Answer the question DJI: Can (is it theoretically possible for) the original Osmo be updated via Firmware or software to then be able to use the Active Tracking Feature that the Osmo Mobile uses via software? If the P4 can handle it then surely the lack of this feature is not due to hardware - so what IS the reason?

Early Osmo adopters have been dicked around over the last year with DJI refusing to answer questions on audio syncing, and audio quality (awful) until they finally shipped the ridiculous plug in mic to palm off the problem. The audio is still unusable without external options.

All of those users want to know why the mobile module couldn't be made as a separate gimble accessory for the original (obsolete?) Osmo - they probably would have paid whatever ridiculous price it would have been pitched at if only to expand their current system.

At least have the courtesy to update loyal early adopters with the same tech/software that you're putting in to your lower priced (but still rather highly priced) products. Not giving current users access to something as seemingly simple as Active Tracking is one way to piss people off that's for sure.
2016-9-2
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

nomad65 Posted at 2016-9-2 21:44
DJI ,

do you not understand your customers frustration over all this , have just also noticed your  ...

Hi, the reason that Osmo Mobile has 4+ hours of battery life is because the camera is no longer powered by Osmo, and the transmission is done through Bluetooth instead of Wifi, and the processing work of image/video is done in the phone.
2016-9-2
Use props
chadbello619
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1939117 ft

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-9-3 10:12
Hi, the reason that Osmo Mobile has 4+ hours of battery life is because the camera is no longer po ...

Therefore 20 minutes of phone battery usage
2016-9-2
Use props
jamesburchell
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31621 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I've posted on another thread re a fairly major comparability issue but just to raise it here:
One advantage the original Osmo has is the ability to add an external mic. For those people who plan to use an iPhone 7 with the Osmo mobile they are not going to be able to add an external mic due to the removal of the 3.5mm input on the new iPhone.
Mic adaptors will certainly be developed to connect via the lightning port but....you can't access the lightning port when the phone is installed in the Osmo mobile!

DJI's missed a trick there, and that has severely restricted the usability of the Mobile product for people wishing to upgrade their iPhones to to the latest model this year. Bad timing.
2016-9-3
Use props
nomad65
lvl.3

United Kingdom

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-9-3 03:12
Hi, the reason that Osmo Mobile has 4+ hours of battery life is because the camera is no longer po ...

DJI Thor ,

the Osmo is less than a year old , you expect us to believe that the Osmo + and the Osmo mobile have suddenly just appeared out of nowhere , in the last week !

All three have obviously been in development for some time with an orchestrated product launch , that looks to us , as loyal customers , as the ultimate piss take .

Any one with the original Osmo should at least be offered a trade in deal .

Response please !
2016-9-3
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

nomad65 Posted at 2016-9-3 21:19
DJI Thor ,

the Osmo is less than a year old , you expect us to believe that the Osmo + and the Os ...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with your Osmo, it's a really great device.
Just because DJI puts out new products, it does not make your Osmo less functional then when you first bought it and were really excited to use it.
DJI will create new versions of all of it's products, it's the same with any product manufacture.
The Osmo+ has zoom, and the Osmo Mobile uses your cell phone.
Your Osmo still has tons of great features and is an incredible gimbal.
2016-9-4
Use props
J C D
lvl.2

Netherlands

You can delete my posts DJI, but you screw over your customers. OSMO original wont be your priority anymore. Because you will sell the better product more, and we are stuck with a osmo standard. Where is my Inverted UP/DOWN feature within the Go App?
2016-9-5
Use props
jonathank005
lvl.2
United States

HAHAHA DJI Sucks. I no longer buy there products as many has said there product lines are in compatible. I purchased other products in the same category as the OSMO and these other companies make it compatible with so many accessories and different type of cameras and gimbals. SAD to say that DJI doesn't know marketing that well. They will soon find they have too much competition instead of conquering the competition. They were once an APPLE kind of company to me but not anymore. They have become more one-sided TBH. DJI MAKE YOUR PRODUCTS COMPATIBLE WITH OTHER DEVICES YOU HAVE IN YOUR LINEUP AND YOU WILL HAVE MANY HAPPY CUSTOMERS NEW AND PAST. Learn from your customer base not your financial stability!
2016-9-5
Use props
jamesburchell
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31621 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ulysse Posted at 2016-9-2 14:47
iPhone 6s 4K videos are far better than anything the X3 will ever produce !
Having a bigger sensor  ...

...and the iphone 7 will be better but you won't be able to use an external microphone. Major design flaw in my humble opinion (all because this £300 device is just for fun use - so I'm told)
2016-9-5
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules