15329 17 2016-9-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
taylor_napper22
lvl.3
  • >>>
Canada

Hello all,

I'm having an issue where my Osmo slowly moves by itself and I can see this in long exposures or when I tried motion timelapse with Litchi, it showed that the timelapse was rocky like a boat and the long exposure was blurry.

Has anyone else had this problem/or know how to fix it?

Feedback appreciated! Thanks.
Taylor.
2016-9-1
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Have you done a calibration?
2016-9-1
Use props
taylor_napper22
lvl.3
  • >>>
Canada

Yes, I have done a calibration and it is still making noticeable movement through my phone screen.
2016-9-1
Use props
robert.p.johnso
New

Sweden

same problem. is yours noticeable when just standing still?  
mine turns to the right and starts to point down. very slowly but very annoying. hard to get it level and do time lapse as well
done calibrations and every thing. seems to work better with new battery but still not cool
2016-9-1
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi, the Osmo does show noticeable movements when you do timelapse, this is simply where the limitation of current technology is, the gimbal can't be 100% steady. So it's advised to lock the gimbal of Osmo if you want to do a timeplase(though there will be constant beeping)

But would you please upload a short video? It helps me to evaluate how severe the shakiness is and whether you need a repair of it.
2016-9-1
Use props
Asidhowz
lvl.2

France

What's the point of having a camera that has time lapse feature if the hardware cannot stay still, I posted about this on another thread re our Osmo+ and nearly one year on the micro movement of the camera is still present and timelapses are impossible, please advise, thanks.
2018-5-28
Use props
Tnap22
lvl.3
  • >>>
Australia

It seems like every purchase I make from DJI is faulty or only have half of what is advertised.
2018-10-7
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tnap22 Posted at 2018-10-7 01:15
It seems like every purchase I make from DJI is faulty or only have half of what is advertised.

FWIW, DJI Thor's reply (in 2016) that the 'drift' problem "is simply where the limitation of current technology is (sic)" must still be true.  It's NOW October 2018and I'm using both an original Osmo (with current firmware and Go) and with a Zenmuse M1 with updated firmware.  The drift STILL happens.  It always happens at start up.  Re-calibration has no effect, and -if it does- it doesn't retain the calibration.  When I turn off the camera(s) after a recalibration, then back on again... the picture still drifts for 15-18 seconds.  This also occurs at the beginning of a time-lapse or hyper lapse.  I've just gotten into the (new) habit of deleting the first moments of video (in post).  further (FWIW) the whole 'limit of current technology' placation is kind of condescending.  If it were true, we should be notified and not have our time wasted requesting fixes.
Finally, here's a link to the various Release Notes on Firmware fixes to the Osmo.  Scroll down to March 17, 2016 for the first mention of "drift" fixes.  Subsequent updates also mention further issues with drift 'fixes' ...  Technology marches on.... [ at least they're recognizing the problem(s) ]
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... o_Release_Notes.pdf
2018-10-7
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-9-1 22:24
Hi, the Osmo does show noticeable movements when you do timelapse, this is simply where the limitation of current technology is, the gimbal can't be 100% steady. So it's advised to lock the gimbal of Osmo if you want to do a timeplase(though there will be constant beeping)

But would you please upload a short video? It helps me to evaluate how severe the shakiness is and whether you need a repair of it.

(the following is a sarcastic reply not intended to be a 'real' solution!)   Alternatively, what would you say to just using some duct tape to secure the gimbal.  That way there's no beeping.     
2018-10-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

WebParrot Posted at 2018-10-7 06:52
(the following is a sarcastic reply not intended to be a 'real' solution!)   Alternatively, what would you say to just using some duct tape to secure the gimbal.  That way there's no beeping.

Hi WebParrot, sorry to know you have the drifting issue, may I know when did the issue happen? May I have a short video of it?
2018-10-9
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-10-9 05:07
Hi WebParrot, sorry to know you have the drifting issue, may I know when did the issue happen? May I have a short video of it?

Thanks for checking in on this, Mindy.  As for "when" it occurs for me, please see my reply in post #8.  I'll try to get a screen video in a day or two.  (Dealing with foul weather flooding issues MidWest USA)
2018-10-9
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-10-9 05:07

Update...
I may have learned how to stop the drift that I'm having.  I "found" a YouTube video named "Osmo Tip" in which there is a lengthy description on Gimbal settings.  Under the "Advanced" setting (of Gimbal) there are ways to set Pan and Tilt for the camera AND the JoyStick.  The "default" setting of the Osmo for Pan/Tilt is at the "medium" preset for Speed, Deadband, and Acceleration.  I've found that changing the various settings 'from' the default will stop the gimbal from "drifting" at the end of a motion.  

For anyone experiencing drift, I suggest watching the video (it's a little long, but worth the time spent) AND experimenting with various setting combinations... just like in the video.  (Plus his "lovely assistant is a darling!)

If anything, I'm disappointed that DJI has never published a tutorial on what the various settings do, etc.  For something that originally sold for over $600 there sould be better documentation and tutoring.  I shouldn't have to depend on the efforts of YouTube bloggers to help me use the basic functions of the product.
2018-10-10
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

WebParrot Posted at 2018-10-10 12:34
Update...
I may have learned how to stop the drift that I'm having.  I "found" a YouTube video named "Osmo Tip" in which there is a lengthy description on Gimbal settings.  Under the "Advanced" setting (of Gimbal) there are ways to set Pan and Tilt for the camera AND the JoyStick.  The "default" setting of the Osmo for Pan/Tilt is at the "medium" preset for Speed, Deadband, and Acceleration.  I've found that changing the various settings 'from' the default will stop the gimbal from "drifting" at the end of a motion.  

Hi WebParrot, thanks for keeping us updated and glad to know you have figured out the issue, appreciate your sharing of the workaround, your suggestion of the documentation and the tutorial video will be forwarded to our engineers for consideration, sorry again for the inconvenience caused.
2018-10-12
Use props
fans8bbabd52
lvl.1
Flight distance : 696427 ft
Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-10-12 22:53
Hi WebParrot, thanks for keeping us updated and glad to know you have figured out the issue, appreciate your sharing of the workaround, your suggestion of the documentation and the tutorial video will be forwarded to our engineers for consideration, sorry again for the inconvenience caused.

I to have this same issue with a second hand Osmo + and a purchased Osmo.
One of the biggest selling points was long exposure without movement. This is false advertising! Try to take a lake night scene and they turned out blury due to movement even though a tripod was used. Also the fireworks were shots turned out blury too.
DJI take the Osmo off the market if you cannot fix the firmware. If my Osmo plus was new, I would be expecting a refund or we would have gone to court for false advertising...
2019-1-1
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

fans8bbabd52 Posted at 1-1 02:43
I to have this same issue with a second hand Osmo + and a purchased Osmo.
One of the biggest selling points was long exposure without movement. This is false advertising! Try to take a lake night scene and they turned out blury due to movement even though a tripod was used. Also the fireworks were shots turned out blury too.
DJI take the Osmo off the market if you cannot fix the firmware. If my Osmo plus was new, I would be expecting a refund or we would have gone to court for false advertising...

Hi there, sorry for the troubles on filming, any chance to upload a short video or pictures of the blurry issue to Dropbox or Google Drive and post the link here for further support? Thank you.
2019-1-2
Use props
fans8bbabd52
lvl.1
Australia

Hi Guys,

Sorry my issue is not with motion or time laps, it is with taking night shots of say city lights, where the slight movement in the gimble is creating blur. The Osmo + was on the DJI tripod only with the first large extension raised and the tripod on a steady surface.
2019-1-6
Use props
Yt2
lvl.1
Australia

and
Thanks DJI Mindy...

2019-1-6
Use props
Yt2
lvl.1