Osmo Mobile - iPhone 7 and external microphone?
123Next >
52748 107 2016-9-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jamesburchell
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31621 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

So, I've just ordered an Osmo Mobile having been on the fence about getting an original Osmo.

I am planning on purchasing an iphone 7 when it is released and clearly the rumours are that it will not have a 3.5mm headphone socket. This will obviously cause issues for plugging in an external mic to the phone.

The obvious answer will be some form of lightning adaptor to plug the mic into, but looking at the way the iphone mounts into the Osmo mobile, it looks like this may not be possible given the orientation of the phone when it is mounted in the Osmo...

Does anyone know if the gimbal can be reversed and the phone  mounted either way to ensure the lightning port is left exposed?

I know the obvious alternative is a seperate sound recorder but it starts to get a bit inconvenient then...

I plan to use the Osmo for action shooting but also would like to use it for interviews, but without an external mic ability, this may be tricky!

2016-9-2
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi, it is not possible to use most phones in reverse(bottom of the phone to the left), because the camera in this way will be blocked by a metal holder that holds your phone.

I suggest you install an Osmo phone holder or Osmo universal mount on the side of the Osmo Mobile (they're compatible) and install your external mic there.  You'll have to merge your sound track with your video then.
2016-9-2
Use props
jamesburchell
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for the reply Thor, very helpful. I've got the universal mount coming to be able to mount the external mic - but just not sure what I'm going to connect it to to actually record the sound if I can't connect it to the phone...
2016-9-2
Use props
jamesburchell
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

So I had a response from DJI direct- standard response regarding the 3.5mm input on handle being for charging which I knew...
However, they did say I may wish to reconsider purchasing until the iPhone 7 is released! That's a big chunk of potential customers who aren't going to be able to use this product to its fullest if Apple do indeed remove the 3.5mm input which it seems is pretty much guaranteed.
Maybe a rethink is required here.
2016-9-3
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

jamesburchell Posted at 2016-9-3 18:49
So I had a response from DJI direct- standard response regarding the 3.5mm input on handle being for ...

The Osmo Mobile is for the everyday user wanting to have fun.
If you are needing to attach an external mic then you may be more of a professional user and may want the Osmo or Osmo+
2016-9-4
Use props
sdchew
lvl.3

Philippines

Sigh... seeing this thread makes me regret buying the Rode VideoMicro over the Shure VP83F. As I already own a Osmo, the VP83F would have been perfect to switch between the Osmo and the Osmo Micro
2016-9-4
Use props
jamesburchell
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-5 03:21
The Osmo Mobile is for the everyday user wanting to have fun.
If you are needing to attach an exte ...

I appreciate that, but given the camera capabilities of smart phones these days, it needn't be as many indie filmmakers and vloggers are using the iphone (and other smartphones) as their main camera.

With anything up to an iphone 6S, it would be really easy to add an external mic. Just seems that maybe this was overlooked.
2016-9-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

jamesburchell Posted at 2016-9-5 13:24
I appreciate that, but given the camera capabilities of smart phones these days, it needn't be as  ...

It was not overlooked, I can assure you that.
2016-9-5
Use props
jamesburchell
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Shame. As it would be fine with any other phone, and to conciously decide to design something in such a way as to not allow users to add an external mic seems bizarre.
2016-9-5
Use props
bleyten
lvl.2

Just another reason not to buy an iPhone :-)
2016-9-5
Use props
JKPinPDX
lvl.1

United States

Oh everyone just pipe down... you KNOW Rode Microphones (or another company, like Sena) will make a Bluetooth enabled mic for the iPhone 7....
I mean really.... with all the hype about the badazz camera the new iPhones will come with, plus with the 3.5mm headphone/mic jacks going away....
its going to be a HUGE market for upscale iPhone users that want to shoot decent enough video with better audio.

I see a TON of wireless bluetooth mics coming to us advanced iPhone users. Just my thoughts.
2016-9-5
Use props
sdchew
lvl.3

Philippines

bleyten Posted at 2016-9-6 11:41
Just another reason not to buy an iPhone :-)

Thou with an iPhone, you get Active Track
2016-9-5
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

sdchew Posted at 2016-9-6 14:57
Thou with an iPhone, you get Active Track

Hi, with Android you also have an active track, I just tried on mine yesterday.
2016-9-5
Use props
jamesburchell
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JKPinPDX Posted at 2016-9-6 07:18
Oh everyone just pipe down... you KNOW Rode Microphones (or another company, like Sena) will make a  ...

Fingers crossed someone will develop those and they'll work in conjunction with DJI Go and the Osmo being connected simultaneously.

For the record - I'm still getting an Osmo mobile though!
2016-9-6
Use props
jml2061
lvl.1
Flight distance : 10568 ft

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-9-3 12:15
Hi, it is not possible to use most phones in reverse(bottom of the phone to the left), because the c ...

This, sadly, shows a complete and total lack of planning on DJI's side. Design by boardroom, not engineering. Why? Because while it's of course possible to merge video and audio in post, it flies counter to everything the company advertises online. Check your own videos, there's a "vlogger" and a "traveler" video, both hyping/touting the ability to do Facebook/YouTube live streaming. A live stream has no post production, it's (as the name says) "live" -- and with that, it's not a turd you can polish, soundwise, when you get home.

Which is, even if you don't go live, absolutely counter to the whole "snap, edit, post" idea of Skypixels, of a part of the DJI "experience" (edit directly in the app), which doesn't even include ingesting and syncing audio. The "mobile" part of the equation goes almost completely out of the window for anyone using an iPhone 7 in three weeks.
2016-9-6
Use props
jml2061
lvl.1

JKPinPDX Posted at 2016-9-6 14:18
Oh everyone just pipe down... you KNOW Rode Microphones (or another company, like Sena) will make a  ...

I KNOW Røde is making one. I have a beta at home, I am working with it. Issue, tough, is that both on the S7 and the iPhone 6s, the latency between Bluetooth and Mic is staggeringly bad. This works, if you can (at home, on your copy of Premiere or Final Cut or DaVinci [my high recommendation to fix the color casts in Osmo and Osmo Raw as well as the Phantom 4]) push the audio two, three, frames back (at 25p), but it doesn't work if you're shooting "mobile" and want to release as quickly as possible, ideally from on the road, just with your phone.

To be clear, this isn't just an iPhone issue. The S8 renders are out, as are the LG G6 ones, and both have their mic port on the bottom and their camera obscured if you flip the phone to make them accessible.
2016-9-6
Use props
ayrshireuav
lvl.3
Flight distance : 957297 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi, I've had my Osmo Mobile now for 24 hours.  I have an iPhone 6 Plus 128gb.  I have recorded a few short videos already and I'm pleased to say the volume/sound levels are more than acceptable for everyday use not to mention bloggers, short video makers, product testers, kids, adults, you name it.  As the owner of an Osmo and and Osmo Pro, I agree with DJI Ken, this is a better platform for more professional users.  Albeit a much more expensive option.  I already own a P4, Inspire 1 Pro, Osmo, Osmo Pro and now the Osmo Mobile, I believe I'm qualified to offer an opinion on their abilities etc.  The active track function works really well, the balance of the gimbal takes a bit of setting up but works well, the bluetooth connection is a much better way of connecting, the battery lasts longer than expected from a full charge and the new usb charging system seems like an excellent idea and one I wish my other Osmo had.  One negative though.  The bag it comes with is terrible.  It offers no protection whatsoever and its a struggle to get the gimbal and handle in the bag.  The gimbal itself does not detach from the handle and I don't see anyway this can be upgraded etc.  Is it worth purchasing?  Yes.  Is it value for money?  Yes.  Could it be better?  Only the bag needs improving.  Given the bag is the only negative part, this is a definite must buy for anyone wanting stabilised photos and videos but using a high end camera phone.  Good work DJI.
2016-9-6
Use props
jml2061
lvl.1

ayrshireuav Posted at 2016-9-6 17:52
Hi, I've had my Osmo Mobile now for 24 hours.  I have an iPhone 6 Plus 128gb.  I have recorded a few ...

Any and all phone sound will be tinny and compressed. Why? Because that's how those microphones have to be, to be able to accommodate people speaking directly into them, when on the phone. In the case of the iPhone 6s+, you'll be looking at a loss of at least 9db and a drop in dynamic range in audio. That might not matter to you (or most), but matters to a surprisingly large group of people who are "just" vloggers, bloggers, product testers, or short video makers. It matters to people who want to live stream band performances, for example, something that becomes more and more a thing, as bands start to rely almost exclusively on the Internet to advertise.

It's such a small thing, something that could be addressed in design in minutes, that it simply makes little sense not to have it, and makes even less sense to have been overlooked by the design team. A small change, a huge gain in functionality.
2016-9-6
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

ayrshireuav Posted at 2016-9-6 18:52
Hi, I've had my Osmo Mobile now for 24 hours.  I have an iPhone 6 Plus 128gb.  I have recorded a few ...

Thanks for sharing. I've submitted your feedback to our R&D team
2016-9-6
Use props
jamesburchell
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

jml2061 Posted at 2016-9-6 11:02
Any and all phone sound will be tinny and compressed. Why? Because that's how those microphones ha ...

You make some really valid points, glad it's not just me. I have other camera kit which I use to make my videos, however I cover a lot of trade shows and have bought the Osmo mobile specifically for that as well as action filming. The trade shows will require external audio recording. I disagree with DJI'/s view that this is just for fun as like you point out, the promotional videos indicate the opposite.
Sadly the Osmo+ Raw isn't really an option at the money that it is, a Rodin for my existing kit would be a third of the price for starters!

The Osmo mobile has the potential to be used by professional film makers if it was just a bit better thought out, and to take the attitude that professional film makers don't use smartphones for some aspects of filming is just downright wrong.
Having said that, I'm getting the message that the customer is usually wrong with DJI, so I will shut up about it for now.
2016-9-6
Use props
jamesburchell
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ayrshireuav Posted at 2016-9-6 10:52

That's reassuring feedback mate, thank you for that.
2016-9-6
Use props
7I58rzmaElNK
lvl.1

Ireland

Surely its clear that DJI has thought this out just fine. It means that if you do wish to do something a bit more professional to avoid from having to buy a bunch of outside peripherals you are forced to trade up to one of the higher models. Basic trade up retailing.
2016-9-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

7I58rzmaElNK Posted at 2016-9-9 02:33
Surely its clear that DJI has thought this out just fine. It means that if you do wish to do somethi ...

The Osmo mobile was created for the everyday person, if you need a more professional gimbal then you should get a Osmo or Osmo+ if zoom is needed. And if you are a professional than the Ronin MX is incredible and also goes from ground work to aerial (with M600) is only a few minutes.
2016-9-8
Use props
CiaranMcGrenera
lvl.1

Ireland

My point exactly- don't get me wrong- I'm not necessarily complaining or criticising. Like I said its basic retail strategy. The only issue comes if you're not a pro and want to attempt to do something other than everyday videoing your friends. Financially it's not necessarily viable to pay all that money for an Osmo or Osmo plus, but then on the other side you're screwed on the potential sound quality.
I suppose maybe you've pitched slightly too low for a "pro-sumer"- or rather by not making a provision for the way the iphone 7 and osmo mobile interact, you've eliminated a bunch of potential prosumers or forced them to look for alternative solutions / invest more money either in your more premium range or in something like a Shure VP83F- not cheap!
2016-9-8
Use props
jml2061
lvl.1
Germany

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-8 20:58
The Osmo mobile was created for the everyday person, if you need a more professional gimbal then y ...

Even the everyday person stands further than 8ft (that's the microphone range on the iPhone 7 as tested out at the event yesterday) from the camera at times. Even the everyday person goes to birthdays ("let's all sing happy birthday for gramma"), amusement parks ("boy, I sure wish I could have caught my daughter yelling 'I love you, daddy' from that slide"), and the beach ("man, I wish I could have a dead cat for this wind noise").

On one hand, you're offering a gimbal solution (really no longer "everyday"), and make promos about cooks and travelers having their own channel (not "everyday," either), on the other hand, you're saying that the one thing everyone who wants to hear anything on their videos after 2 meters or wants to have a YouTube channel for cooking, should buy an Osmo, because this one ain't for it.

Which is it?
2016-9-9
Use props
jadot
lvl.1

United Kingdom

jml2061 Posted at 2016-9-9 10:37
Even the everyday person stands further than 8ft (that's the microphone range on the iPhone 7 as t ...

It should be noted here that the audio implementation on the Osmo 1 is awful, and badly thought out, and it was from the start, so not really a more 'Pro' solution anyway.

I found that the only way to get good audio with the Osmo 1 was to use an external recorder. In my case that's a Zoom H5, but there are a lot of options out there that might be more portable etc.

It's a hack, but it's just a fact of life I'm afraid. Even if you could plug a mic into the iPhone there is no guarantee that with DJI GO running that you will get good audio anyway. You might get better, but probably not well balanced and hard to monitor levels etc.

Probably use the on board mic as a reference, and sync up the audio track from the handheld later.

DJI are used to drone footage which doesn't usually need audio. They haven't worked out how to get it to work in personal gimbals yet, so it looks like they're just gonna ask you to like it.
2016-9-9
Use props
CiaranMcGrenera
lvl.1

Ireland

jadot Posted at 2016-9-9 11:25
It should be noted here that the audio implementation on the Osmo 1 is awful, and badly thought ou ...

The fault mainly lies with Apple to be fair- It makes no sense to market "professional quality" 4K video, then eliminate the ability to record professional quality sound alongside it.
2016-9-9
Use props
Jimmyb
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I get the idea of upselling products - however, the Osmo Mobile is clearly advertised as being compatible with a universal mount. One use of a universal mount would be to attach an external mic, but the design of the Osmo Mobile will not allow this because it blocks the port.

To suggest this has been done deliberately to encourage purchasers to buy something far more expensive is, I would suggest, complete nonsense.

Furthermore, if DJI's stance is that people only use smartphones these days to take 'fun' video, then they are entirely misjudging the market (which I know is not really the case). There are many filmmakers out there using smartphones for a variety of uses alongside their pro cameras. I do not profess to be an Oscar nominee, but I do make professional corporate videos for product reviews and promotional purposes, and in some instances, the smartphone is the best way to capture the shots I want. DJI know this, but there is a lot of excuse-making going on here trying to conceal the true facts of the matter, it just wasn't thought about.

Ultimately, I would suspect that the Osmo Mobile was designed a long time ago and therefore the issue of no headphone jack hasn't come up. Or...if it was done in the last few months, has been overlooked as unimportant.

Personally, I'm not asking for the Osmo Mobile to integrate some form of sound recording, I'm happy for my phone to handle all of that, but to cover up the ports is not going to assist at all.

On a separate but related note, the lightning port on the phone is used for charging too. I am covering a three day trade show in Vegas next year and would like the ability to be able to attach a small USB power pack to the mount and charge the phone on the go whilst I film at the show. Also...not going to happen.

If DJI are truly marketing this as a fun, family toy then the price tag doesn't reflect it. It may not be pro money but its certainly not toy money either.
2016-9-9
Use props
Jimmyb
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

CiaranMcGrenera Posted at 2016-9-9 11:33
The fault mainly lies with Apple to be fair- It makes no sense to market "professional quality" 4K ...

I am fairly certain the iPhone 7 will be able to work with an external mic using the lightning to 3.5mm adaptor and then plugging in a mic adaptor to that. Don't quote me on it though, I will find out in a week or so!
2016-9-9
Use props
ayrshireuav
lvl.3
Flight distance : 957297 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A few of you have identified some valid flaws in the DJI RND processes.  Sound has never really been something they've had to worry about.  The Osmo was poorly delivered due to the fan noise and due to all recordings sounding as if you did them in a toilet.  The free stick mic they sent out failed to address the problem.  It took firmware changes to reduce the fan noise and the Rode mic as an external option for the sound to improve.  Albeit not a lot.  The quality of the images and the smoothness of the videos is what I'm mainly interested in.  These products provide what I personally need but I understand that others may want something different but surely thats not DJI's fault.  If I wanted a fast car I wouldnt buy a Fiat, i'd buy a Ferrari.  I wouldnt then complain to Fiat that their cars weren't fast enough.
2016-9-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

jml2061 Posted at 2016-9-9 17:37
Even the everyday person stands further than 8ft (that's the microphone range on the iPhone 7 as t ...

I'm sorry, that's the way they designed the Osmo Mobile, if the audio quality from your phone will not give you the desired results, then you will need the Osmo that uses the audio jack.
What about a Bluetooth external mic, I wonder if that would help those who need more audio distance.
2016-9-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Jimmyb Posted at 2016-9-9 19:28
I get the idea of upselling products - however, the Osmo Mobile is clearly advertised as being compa ...

I'm just telling what I think the Osmo Mobile user would be.
I see it as a everyday tool for parties, birthdays, and such.
If I were to use it in a more professional manner for paid work, then I would use the regular Osmo or a Ronin with a DSLR.
That's just me, DJI created it and make the audio port the charge port so it cannot use an external mic to plug in.
Just like some lower end cameras that work very well but do not have an audio jack, if you want more professional sound and need a high quality external mic, then you need a camera that has an audio jack.
2016-9-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Jimmyb Posted at 2016-9-9 19:29
I am fairly certain the iPhone 7 will be able to work with an external mic using the lightning to  ...

It very well may have a lightning port capability for an external mic, BUT it can't be used with the Osmo Mobile because the bottom of the phone sits in the cradle of the gimbal so you cannot plug anything into the port.
2016-9-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

ayrshireuav Posted at 2016-9-9 20:18
A few of you have identified some valid flaws in the DJI RND processes.  Sound has never really been ...

Exactly, each product is what it is and has the features on that product. It would be great if a product had everything everyone wanted but that would never happen.
Osmo mobile doesn't offer professional audio capability but it's small and compact and can go anywhere and set up in 10 seconds. A DJI Ronin is used for professional work but it's big and bulky and takes a bit to setup.
At least DJI produces stabilizing gimbals for all users and all of them work extremely well for what they are.
2016-9-9
Use props
jamesburchell
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-9 15:07
It very well may have a lightning port capability for an external mic, BUT it can't be used with t ...

Your replies seem to have the tone of just being tired and fed up of replying. I get it. However, having spent over £300 with DJI on this and then drones on top of that, to be told 'it is what it is' as opposed to just taking some constructive feedback is pretty frustrating. I say that on the belief you work for DJI. If you don't I apologise in advance.

Anyhow, I've received mine today and for a stabilising gimbal its great. I'm using an iphone 6 in it at the moment and have noted that the position the phone sits in the cradle, there is no way of even attaching a mic to the 3.5mm jack on the iPhone 6 as the gimbal is just blocking the port. Perhaps it should be made clear that the Osmo Mobile does not support the use of external mics attaching to any phone full stop - if your phone allows it then you got lucky. The design clearly 'is what it is' but I'm sure that Osmo Mobile 2 will take all this into account.
I shall now try and make the best use of the Osmo Mobile and use it for what it does allow you to do.
2016-9-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

jamesburchell Posted at 2016-9-9 22:52
Your replies seem to have the tone of just being tired and fed up of replying. I get it. However, h ...

Not getting tired of replying at all, just stating the differences/ limitations of the different DJI product lines.
The Osmo Mobile is meant for users who plan to use the phone's mic as the audio source.
If more professional audio is required, then the Osmo or Osmo+ would suit you.

I'm glad your arrived today, you will see that it is indeed a great product.
2016-9-9
Use props
jamesburchell
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I've made peace with the whole audio thing. Its a shame, but life's too short. Question though - how do you get the rosette mount cover off? Mine is stuck on good it appears.

Edit - nevermind - have got it off. I think the Incredible Hulk tightened it up at the factory.
2016-9-9
Use props
CiaranMcGrenera
lvl.1

Ireland

jamesburchell Posted at 2016-9-9 16:30
I've made peace with the whole audio thing. Its a shame, but life's too short. Question though - how ...

I can live with it also, however it is a shame.
2016-9-9
Use props
jadot
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-9 14:59
I'm sorry, that's the way they designed the Osmo Mobile, if the audio quality from your phone will ...

So Do you think that connecting to the gimbal using Bluetooth wouldn't hinder a second bluetooth connection with a 'bluetooth mic'?
2016-9-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

jadot Posted at 2016-9-10 01:37
So Do you think that connecting to the gimbal using Bluetooth wouldn't hinder a second bluetooth c ...

I don't know, isn't a phone able to connect more than one bluetooth device at a time.
I can't say that it would work or not. I've never tried.A quick Google search and saw this.

Apple actually states that Bluetooth can support up to 7 simultaneously connected devices, but that 3 or 4 is a practical limit.
2016-9-9
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules