Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Osmo Mobile - iPhone 7 and external microphone?
52712 107 2016-9-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ComPH
lvl.3

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-9 05:59
I'm sorry, that's the way they designed the Osmo Mobile, if the audio quality from your phone will not give you the desired results, then you will need the Osmo that uses the audio jack.
What about a Bluetooth external mic, I wonder if that would help those who need more audio distance.

Like the guy said, the BT microphones have delay in them. Perhaps the apps need to redo the lip sync?
2017-1-8
Use props
ComPH
lvl.3

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-9 06:13
Exactly, each product is what it is and has the features on that product. It would be great if a product had everything everyone wanted but that would never happen.
Osmo mobile doesn't offer professional audio capability but it's small and compact and can go anywhere and set up in 10 seconds. A DJI Ronin is used for professional work but it's big and bulky and takes a bit to setup.
At least DJI produces stabilizing gimbals for all users and all of them work extremely well for what they are.

It is overall good product, and it obviously depends on the phone manufacturers whims - I wonder what Apple will do with the next gen. They don't seem to care much about many of their non-mainstream users and supporters. I am guessing this generation Osmo Mobile product will be obsolete next year. Problem is that consumer product for $300 + accessory cost is too much for many to be obsolete that fast. I empathize that it is very hard to future-proof mechanical device supporting many different products, but again, the lighting port and the lens location of the iPhones didn't move in three generations.
2017-1-8
Use props
ComPH
lvl.3

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-9-9 09:47
I don't know, isn't a phone able to connect more than one bluetooth device at a time.
I can't say that it would work or not. I've never tried.A quick Google search and saw this.

Of course you can connect multiple devices over bluetooth. I have Garmin watch, headphones, footpod and HRM strap connected together and doing it's trick daily. The Bluetooth 5.0 will be even better - longer range and higher bandwidth. This BT mic lipsync skew can be fixed in software, the video needs to be delayed, so the phone needs to waste some memory...
2017-1-8
Use props
rdvid
lvl.2

Netherlands

so overall whats the best quality for a wireless microphone? whats the best brand you can get
2017-1-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

ComPH Posted at 2017-1-8 12:13
I am sorry, but where in the advertising material do you claim these facts? this is just a backpedaling excuse for screwing up or trying to save tooling money, to allow to get to the lightning port on the iPhone. Turning the phone around would block the lens, the other way blocks the lighting port. This didn't change since iPhone 6, so I understand that this is it, but don't try to sell the screwup as a feature.

What are you referring to ?
2017-1-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

rdvid Posted at 2017-1-8 12:56
so overall whats the best quality for a wireless microphone? whats the best brand you can get

Rode mics are very good and pricey.
2017-1-8
Use props
rdvid
lvl.2

Netherlands

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-8 15:53
Rode mics are very good and pricey.

do they have wireless ones?
2017-1-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

rdvid Posted at 2017-1-8 15:54
do they have wireless ones?

You would have to research, I don't use an external mic.
2017-1-8
Use props
ComPH
lvl.3

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-8 15:52
What are you referring to ?

"The Osmo mobile was created for the everyday person, if you need a more professional gimbal then you should get a Osmo or Osmo+ if zoom is needed. And if you are a professional than the Ronin MX is incredible and also goes from ground work to aerial (with M600) is only a few minutes."
2017-1-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

ComPH Posted at 2017-1-9 12:09
"The Osmo mobile was created for the everyday person, if you need a more professional gimbal then you should get a Osmo or Osmo+ if zoom is needed. And if you are a professional than the Ronin MX is incredible and also goes from ground work to aerial (with M600) is only a few minutes."

Yes, the Osmo Mobile is the least expensive platform and great for everyone as is uses your phone.
The Osmo with a X5 camera would be for more professional work.
And for the most professional user a Ronin-MX with a Red camera would be the ultimate.
And with the Ronin-MX and a M600, you can have a full professional aerial platform.
2017-1-9
Use props
rdvid
lvl.2

Netherlands

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-9 12:40
Yes, the Osmo Mobile is the least expensive platform and great for everyone as is uses your phone.
The Osmo with a X5 camera would be for more professional work.
And for the most professional user a Ronin-MX with a Red camera would be the ultimate.

is the Osmo stabiliser then the Osmo Mobile?
2017-1-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

rdvid Posted at 2017-1-9 13:05
is the Osmo stabiliser then the Osmo Mobile?

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you are asking.
The Osmo is a stabilized if that is what you are asking.
2017-1-9
Use props
rdvid
lvl.2

Netherlands

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-9 13:13
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you are asking.
The Osmo is a stabilized if that is what you are asking.

No i mean to ask if your Cosmo mobile is as stabilised as the Osmo? is there a difference in stabilisation?
2017-1-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

rdvid Posted at 2017-1-9 13:14
No i mean to ask if your Cosmo mobile is as stabilised as the Osmo? is there a difference in stabilisation?

It's the same gimbal just with a different setup. They both stabilize the same way.
2017-1-9
Use props
rdvid
lvl.2

Netherlands

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-9 13:39
It's the same gimbal just with a different setup. They both stabilize the same way.

ok so there is no difference at that point
2017-1-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

rdvid Posted at 2017-1-9 13:50
ok so there is no difference at that point

One comes with the DJI camera and one you use your phone.
2017-1-9
Use props
Majauskas
New

Lithuania

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-9 14:06
One comes with the DJI camera and one you use your phone.

Not sure if the questions has been discussed before:

I am using Osmo Mobile with iPhone 7+

is it possible to use new Apple Airpods to record audio while filming?
2017-2-21
Use props
Ecs
New

Thailand

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-9-2 20:15
Hi, it is not possible to use most phones in reverse(bottom of the phone to the left), because the camera in this way will be blocked by a metal holder that holds your phone.

I suggest you install an Osmo phone holder or Osmo universal mount on the side of the Osmo Mobile (they're compatible) and install your external mic there.  You'll have to merge your sound track with your video then.

I saw this Noble audio BTS adapter here https://nobleaudio.com/en/shop/wireless/. Can I add an external microphone with this device for recording audio ? I have a OSMO mobile and I am looking for ways to connect an external mic for recording audio for the video. So is it possible to use this device so that I can add an external microphone and record audio ?

Can anyone verify this ? Thanks
2017-2-27
Use props
jeffbake
lvl.3
Flight distance : 955587 ft
  • >>>
United States

Majauskas Posted at 2017-2-21 06:35
Not sure if the questions has been discussed before:

I am using Osmo Mobile with iPhone 7+

I also saw that airpods could be used as an external mic, but have not tested it. Video link here:
It's not a short shotgun mic solution but looks like it is okay for vloggers...
2017-5-19
Use props
The Lensman
New
United States

There is a 3.5mm jack on the handle and DJI lists mic as an accessory to the Osmo Mobile.  It may be wishful thinking but perhaps the audio can be capture via a mic plugged into that port? Bluetoothed to the iPHone?  If not, then DJI should not list the mic as an accessory to the Osmo Mobile.
2017-6-27
Use props
The Lensman
New
United States

Correction to my last post.  It is Adorama that lists a mic as an accessory to the Osmo Moblie.
2017-6-27
Use props
Tobias78
lvl.1
Flight distance : 522379 ft
Netherlands

Will it be possible to connect a Rode Videomic Me with a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge on a DJI Osmo Mobile, despite Osmo seems to block the mic jack of the S7? Or any other working option now, e.g. via bluetooth?
2017-7-9
Use props
HaraldL
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1042635 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

A solution would be: a short (2 or 3 inches) flat cable with male (90 degrees) and female lightning connectors. I've been looking for that but couldn't find one.
2017-10-8
Use props
ehcarleton
New

United States

scanning through this thread, it looks to me like NOBODY has come up with a bluetooth mic for use with modern iPhones mounted on things like the OSMO Mobile.  Is that correct?
2017-11-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

ehcarleton Posted at 2017-11-10 06:12
scanning through this thread, it looks to me like NOBODY has come up with a bluetooth mic for use with modern iPhones mounted on things like the OSMO Mobile.  Is that correct?

Post #83 maybe?
2017-11-12
Use props
mirekti
lvl.1
United States

HaraldL Posted at 2017-10-8 06:46
A solution would be: a short (2 or 3 inches) flat cable with male (90 degrees) and female lightning connectors. I've been looking for that but couldn't find one.

I totally agree!!!
There is a right angle lightning cable, but only with the USB connector on the side.
At the moment, I am using a short 10" male to female cable which leads to the front fixed part above the handle so it doesn't put any extra work on the motors. I push the phone enough to cover the sensor, yet not to break the connector.
I am also using Moondog's anamorphic lens with counter weight, and it all seems to balance rather fine.
However, if  there was an right angle male to female, either a connector or a cable, I would be able to push the phone a bit more to the right.  
2017-11-13
Use props
fans1b67f20d
New
United States

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-9-2 20:15
Hi, it is not possible to use most phones in reverse(bottom of the phone to the left), because the camera in this way will be blocked by a metal holder that holds your phone.

I suggest you install an Osmo phone holder or Osmo universal mount on the side of the Osmo Mobile (they're compatible) and install your external mic there.  You'll have to merge your sound track with your video then.

Maybe a USB C right angle adapter like this would solve this problem? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071XHQJG8

You could just redirect the USB C cable down away from where the phone abuts the OSMO and use it normally.
2017-12-30
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

fans1b67f20d Posted at 2017-12-30 02:16
Maybe a USB C right angle adapter like this would solve this problem? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071XHQJG8

You could just redirect the USB C cable down away from where the phone abuts the OSMO and use it normally.

Sorry that we are unable to provide support to the third party product, you may have a try to see if it works.
2018-1-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules