Questions about the Inspire 1 now and in the future
2091 25 2015-1-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
supasympa
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Open post to DJI...
I bought a I1 off the back of having a P2 and was convinced by that experience that I would be happy buying an I1 for my upcoming flight tests and PFAW approval in the UK, along with a new shiny iPad air 2.

The experience so far has been, well, pretty scary, to the point where I wasn't sure if I'd bought a complete lemon. Because of the prop locks and the IOS issue and further stories of instability I've not flown the I1 even though I've had it for two weeks, admittedly this is also because I took the P2 away for 5 days to fly.

My questions (sorry if they have already been asked):

1. Once my prop locks turn up is the "official word" from DJI that we have to wait for the IOS app to be approved before we are safe (supported) to fly?

2. Can we expect an updated version of the IOS app to be released or will it be version 0.9.2 when it becomes available and if not what changes should we expect?

3. I have v0.9.2 of the app, should I be able to use it currently to upgrade my I1 aircraft firmware to v1.2.0.16?

4.Is there a product road map for the app and the I1 aircraft and remote firmware that DJI might be happy to share with us (reported bugs and things that they are looking to fix in the next few versions) that owners should be aware of when flying the new and very complicated aircraft?

5. What format is the SD card formatted as (and any USB stick for the RC firmware upgrade) FAT32 / ExFAT?

I feel point 4 is really important. If there was a good feedback loop between owners and DJI then it would help us to help you develop the software (and potentially the hardware) and it would also help us to avoid circumstances that might mean we endanger our aircrafts or worse! If we are happy to share all our experiences with DJI having taken a risk and bought a product so early surely we could be involved in the development of the product to help better it?

I hope you think my questions fair.

Thanks

2015-1-29
Use props
Tucana
lvl.2

Brazil

Same here. Bought it and am waiting for official clear instructions so I can fly it. Reply please DJI?
Regards
Tucana
2015-1-29
Use props
Renaat
lvl.3

Japan

We had bad experience yesterday with DJI after we ordered and paid I1. Here our chat:
hello
hi, can i help you ?
12:27:18
OK, we just bought inspire 1 at your company, order is in process. Meanwhile I look to get the iPad app for our iPad mini, how to do ?
12:28:33
dji-pilot for ipad !
12:29:41
Thank you very much for your support and patience. We are extremely sorry to say that the DJI-Pilot App has been delayed for iOS devices. DJI is working hard on this to push the approval process through with Apple and will keep you informed of any of our progress.
Thank you, and sorry again about the delay.
we see youtube videos people using iPad !! how they did do ?
12:32:38
Sorry ,I don't know.Maybe download from website.
12:34:01
i understand you do not want to answer on this question. But it is NOT VERY HELPFULL. This is the first disappointment with your company. We spend 19000 rmb for nothing
When iOS app will be available ?
12:36:05
sorry ,I have no this time .
you will have a very bad publicity on youtube, i assure you !! Really pissed for your service !!!!

Living as European in China……  I know Chinese: never having balls to tell the truth, prefer ti hide reality and treat others as stupids.
We have to live with their mentality !
2015-1-29
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

No you have to live with Apple and their control of the apps on iOS.  It is not us.  Yes we cannot give you a backdoor link to the app.  It would derail our efforts with Apple.  
2015-1-29
Use props
hvilorio
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10184222 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-1-30 08:37
No you have to live with Apple and their control of the apps on iOS.  It is not us.  Yes we cannot g ...

I understand this Ed, but this scenario has been known for a long time, Lightbridge is in the same boat as the DJI-Pilot app in iOS, and Lightbridge has been out for almost one year and still no official app in the app store... so the fact that DJI rushed this product out with all this hype, and a great product I might add, but I can't digest that this is all new to DJI and see DJI blame it on Apple...
2015-1-29
Use props
Renaat
lvl.3

Japan

hvilorio
2015-1-29
Use props
gwhiz2k
lvl.3

Canada

Totally unfair to keep blaming DJI for this. It's up to Apple. Send them your angry letters. Anyone who deals with Apple knows they are under no obligation to a) provide a timeline to when the app will be ready, and b) ever approve the app. Ever.

What do you think the backlash would have been had DJI simply released the Inspire as Android-only? Probably much worse. Should they have delayed the rollout completely based on a "maybe" from Apple? Business can't work that way.

Regarding Lightbridge not being in the App Store, don't think they WANT it in the app store? To assume they didn't bother trying to get it approved is just crazy.

Don't get me wrong, I also bought an iPad Air just for the Inspire, but it's not DJI I'm angry at, it's Apple and their draconian App Store policies. Seriously, this is a $3000 piece of machinery. It bugs me that so many people are complaining so much about buying a simple $300 accessory (price of a 16GB NVidia Shield) for it. How much money to RC enthusiasts typically spend per year on parts? Sell the iPad (for a good resale value) and get an Android. Apple may never approve the app. Then again they might. Who knows? Certainly not DJI.

2015-1-29
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

gwhiz2k Posted at 2015-1-30 14:08
Totally unfair to keep blaming DJI for this. It's up to Apple. Send them your angry letters. Anyone  ...

That's  a great way to look at it and awesome attitude as its out of DJI's hands now.
2015-1-29
Use props
supasympa
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-1-30 08:37
No you have to live with Apple and their control of the apps on iOS.  It is not us.  Yes we cannot g ...

Hi Ed,

You've already responded to this graciously in the RC Groups forum, so thank you. I do however feel that everyone is missing the point a little. I'm no DJI hater, quite the opposite, which is why I spent £2.7k on a new Inspire1 with two controllers and a new iPad Air 2 to go with it and spend a lot of time trying to defend DJI's current position on Twitter (@supasympa). I've not flown my I1 yet - but I'm sure it works just fine. As I mentioned I'm really happy with the P2 I have and I'm sure I will be with the I1 eventually - but this is the problem:

DJI are not being clear about what we should or shouldn't do with the I1. There is NO CLEAR ONGOING  MESSAGING from DJI. It's a real "signal versus noise issue"  where we try to dig through the various forums listening to equal numbers of happy I1 users versus users who are having problems or like me have grounded their I1 until more is known. This has nothing to do with Apple's acceptance chain, I wasn't moaning about how long it takes, just that there is not "official word" on what is going on.

Why didn't (don't) DJI released a statement like:

Hi Inspire 1 owners,

We had to unfortunately withdraw the IOS app from its initial distribution channel and are waiting for Apple to publish it in the App Store, which we anticipate to take less than 4 weeks but could take more.  Whilst you will still be able to fly with your current IOS app, we cannot support you in any issues that might occur until the app is available through official channels.

We have also had a few reports of issues occurring from some users (detailed below) that we are looking to clarify and if found to be correct we'll deal with them in a future firmware update.:

[x problem]
[y problem]

In the mean time, fly safely, and continue to provide us with your valuable feedback via the recognised channels.

We are sorry for any convenience that has been caused.
-- EOM

If DJI could be a little better at publishing known issues I'd feel confident that they were being looked at and what to look for when I'm flying. Known issues that are being dealt with offer me a  sense of security - but speculation and rumours that aren't being answered fills me with dread! I expect a lot of other people who have bought an Inspire and read the threads on the forums might feel similarly. (?)

Either way - I fully expect the I1 to worth every penny I paid for it. It would just be nice to have a bit more confidence in DJI right now.
2015-1-30
Use props
supasympa
lvl.2

United Kingdom

gwhiz2k Posted at 2015-1-30 14:08
Totally unfair to keep blaming DJI for this. It's up to Apple. Send them your angry letters. Anyone  ...

Please see my response below. If you read my post you'll notice I wasn't moaning about timings really, just messaging.
2015-1-30
Use props
InspiredOne
lvl.3

United States

supasympa Posted at 2015-1-30 23:58
Hi Ed,

You've already responded to this graciously in the RC Groups forum, so thank you. I do how ...

I have flown my Inspire 1 and not had any problems. My confidence in DJI is unshaken. One can't live on the cutting edge without bleeding on occasion.

There are, basically two options: Be patient or return the bird for a refund (presuming you haven't flown it).
2015-1-30
Use props
supasympa
lvl.2

United Kingdom

InspiredOne Posted at 2015-1-31 00:05
I have flown my Inspire 1 and not had any problems. My confidence in DJI is unshaken. One can't li ...

@InspiredOne - Did you read what I wrote?  I'm being patient ... but I'm asking for some clear communication about what I should expect? Can't you see I'm trying to avoid all this unclear response stuff - this thread being a good case in point!?

Lets be clear: I like DJI, I like my P2 and I want to like my I1! What would be nice would be a belief that as an owner of DJI products, all the consumers are all in the same boat - with DJI at the helm giving us clear insight into where we're headed!
2015-1-30
Use props
InspiredOne
lvl.3

United States

supasympa Posted at 2015-1-31 00:12
@InspiredOne - Did you read what I wrote?  I'm being patient ... but I'm asking for some clear comm ...

I fully understand what you're saying--'I'm but patient, but I dang tired of waiting.'

Being patient means just that. Exercise a little faith and trust that DJI is moving forward as quickly as humanly possible, all the while trying to put out as many fires as they can. Who knows what Apple is doing?

I am confident they will prove valid answers to our questions when they have valid answers to give.

Once in a while these things take time.
2015-1-30
Use props
InspiredOne
lvl.3

United States

supasympa Posted at 2015-1-31 00:12
@InspiredOne - Did you read what I wrote?  I'm being patient ... but I'm asking for some clear comm ...

My reply disappeared again!

Yes, I understand what you're saying--'I am patient, but I am dang tired of waiting."
2015-1-30
Use props
supasympa
lvl.2

United Kingdom

InspiredOne Posted at 2015-1-31 00:27
I fully understand what you're saying--'I'm but patient, but I dang tired of waiting.'

Being pati ...

I'm not sure you read my post! I work in software and I know that these things aren't easy.

Ultimately you're delivering a product though. In this case a product which has received a substantial amount of press and PR and encouraged (not brainwashed or persuaded) people to buy it.

Now, having bought that product it would be good to have some ongoing clarity. Tell me it's going to take a year or two if that's the case... time is not the issue here.
2015-1-30
Use props
dennis.aerialpe
lvl.3
United States

Yes you can blame DJI for these problems. As a business these details should have been hammered out with their vendors well before advertising that they have the capability.  If I ran my business this way I would not have a business.   They also advertised the mapping feature, poi and probably a feature I can't remember.  But those features are not there either.  They pushed an incomplete and untested drone to market.  Pilots here in the US are already under scrutiny by the press for the dangers they can pose to the public, Beta testing on the public does not help our cause.

DJI Fan not  hater but I feel very mislead in this whole Inspire process.
2015-1-30
Use props
InspiredOne
lvl.3

United States

"DJI Fan not  hater but I feel very mislead in this whole Inspire process."

Sorry, I can't agree with that statement. Did they jump the gun? Perhaps (we weren't there so we don't know everything that has transpired). To say they have been misleading is taking it a bit too far, in my opinion. Basically, such a statement is an accusation of fraud.

They are a young and passionate company owned and operated by young and passionate people who love drones. Sometimes, being young and passionate, not to mention excited, can get you backed into a corner on occasion. I think that's what's happened here and I am certain they are well aware of.

We've all screwed up, at one time or another. Let's treat this situation as we would want to be treated if had we allowed our exuberance to get from us and back us into a corner.

"The best laid plans of mice and men..."
2015-1-30
Use props
cmontisano
lvl.4

United States

supasympa Posted at 2015-1-31 00:31
I'm not sure you read my post! I work in software and I know that these things aren't easy.

Ultima ...

I have been a DJI Supporter for a couple of years now, I was so excited for the release of the Inspire 1 to come out I placed my order on Nov 14th expecting it to come soon after, As I waited for my Inspire 1 to come this forum and many other started to report bugs and issue, I was very sad to hear of all the things that were going on, as of last week I had my reseller hold my order as I was concerned that with my luck the issue that people are experiencing would happen to me, I finally just came to the realization that my 4K investment I couldn't afford to loose it because of all the issues, I canceled my order (very sad for me) I am a bit disappointed the claims of DJI that were made at the time of the release, may have be a bit premature.
I also believe Taho_Ed that everyone has a voice and if their view is to be mad or angry they have the right to voice it (No Offence) So I guess if DJI had kept  their customers  more informed there would be allot more calm amongst the forums, but I think this would be counter productive for sales.
on another note I will be purchasing this in the future maybe Version 2 when its released.
2015-1-30
Use props
InspiredOne
lvl.3

United States

cmontisano Posted at 2015-1-31 01:32
I have been a DJI Supporter for a couple of years now, I was so excited for the release of the Ins ...

There are a lot of happy Inspire 1 pilots out there.  It's unfortunate others are no so happy.
2015-1-30
Use props
cmontisano
lvl.4

United States

InspiredOne Posted at 2015-1-31 01:38
There are a lot of happy Inspire 1 pilots out there.  It's unfortunate others are no so happy.

I totally agree
2015-1-30
Use props
supasympa
lvl.2

United Kingdom

cmontisano Posted at 2015-1-31 01:32
I have been a DJI Supporter for a couple of years now, I was so excited for the release of the Ins ...

I applaud DJI's young engineers and their staff, and their ethos ... really I do!

All products break. Most software has bugs. Some software has big bugs - any consumer who doesn't realise these things is naive. IMO : What sets companies / manufacturers / software producers apart is the ability to convince their consumers that these things aren't a long term problem. Which is my original point.
2015-1-30
Use props
supasympa
lvl.2

United Kingdom

InspiredOne Posted at 2015-1-31 01:38

I said this in my original post! ... I agree .. that's not my point either. Can't you stay on topic? Also ... if you're so happy why are you spending time on the forums and not out flying your Inspire?

Honestly ... I'm not looking for an argument, no one has actually addressed my point they just keep saying irrelevant things or agreeing with it!
2015-1-30
Use props
Captain Obvious
lvl.4

Australia

Oh boy!

2015-1-30
Use props
mrburns
lvl.2

United Kingdom

All
I agree totally with supasympa.
I have been following this forum awaiting the opportunity to buy an I1; however as I am IOS based I would also like to know what is happening -officially - likely milestones.

There are lots of info on here and if it was not for all the posts that you have contributed  I would have walked ages ago.
So keep posting as clearly there are lots of happy bunnies and also disgruntled ones, which you will always get.
But remember if DJI want loyaly they need to service the end user professionally and hence this is why supasympa is right.

Keep the end user in the loop buys time and loyalty
2015-1-30
Use props
InspiredOne
lvl.3

United States

supasympa Posted at 2015-1-31 01:53
I said this in my original post! ... I agree .. that's not my point either. Can't you stay on topi ...

So what would you suggest we owners do?
2015-1-30
Use props
supasympa
lvl.2

United Kingdom

InspiredOne Posted at 2015-1-31 03:51
So what would you suggest we owners do?

That's why I'm posting. It's not for us to action. It's for us to ask politely "please can you help us out DJI" and hope that they will - again, the reason for my post, not because I'm angry!
2015-1-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules